Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Post ....1

I want to say hi to everybody first, in this forum. I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks now as I'm sure I'm in now on this hobby. RC Flying either plane or heli,but Im thinking to start first with plane and later on to heli. I've been watching quite awhile in Woodlands near Sports school and become interested on this hobby.

My first question is:

Im planning to buy Spektrum DX6i.

1) Which mode for me to buy? I'm a right handed person.
    2) Im planning to start with simulator , which simulator I can use for DX6I?

More question to come.

Thanks guys.

HAPPY FLYING!!!

Originally posted by pbrian26 View Post
    I want to say hi to everybody first, in this forum. I've been reading this forum for about 2 weeks now as I'm sure I'm in now on this hobby. RC Flying either plane or heli,but Im thinking to start first with plane and later on to heli. I've been watching quite awhile in Woodlands near Sports school and become interested on this hobby.

My first question is:

More question to come.

Thanks guys.

HAPPY FLYING!!!
    Hey, welcome to this forum (:

The dx6i is good, im currently using it.
    For mode, its more on personal liking more than which hand are u using to write.
    For simulator, there are free ones like FMS or expensive one that can be a few hundred dollars. most simulators can use for dx6i as long as u have the cable. im flying aerofly.

Another thing is plane is different from heli, be it controls or the way it flies. i started with plane too. now flying heli. but plane is good in such a way that if you crash, you can just glue back, for heli you gotta buy parts =X

Enjoy in this forum!

Comment

If you have a mentor/teacher, most likely you will take after his mode or where the sticks are positioned.

FMS is good enough for learning orientation, no simulator can beat the real thing though. But if you have the budget, you can buy some better simulators like G4.
      BUT you MUST learn from simulator first no matter what, learning orientation on the real thing is costly.

So you are thinking of plane or heli?

Comment

Originally posted by zxyong View Post
        BUT you MUST learn from simulator first no matter what, learning orientation on the real thing is costly.
        The most important is not about the cost, it is about safety. With money, u can buy parts but u can't buy lives or eyeballs

Comment

My first question is:

More question to come.

Thanks guys.

HAPPY FLYING!!!

zxyong, that should answer ur question...

Comment

Thanks for all ur inputs and I will take note of that. But definitely the first thing that I will buy is the:

1) radio transmitter i.e. DX6i (Mode 2) recommended based on their previous experience.

Simulator is the next thing to have , practice from simulator before going to the actual thing to get used to controls of plane or heli ( as u have mentioned... the orientation is the basic) Either it is a free software like FMS or other simulators that doesn't cost a bomb. As long as I learn the basics of flying, take off , landing, learn controls of the plane and the heli. aileron, rudder, throttle, elevator etc.

I think I will start off with the plane at the moment.

2) E-Starter plane for the actual training flying with the help of our friendly pilots here..

Last but not the least, as u have mentioned.. FLY SAFELY!!!

Thanks again guys...

Comment

Very wise

Hi pbrian26,

Welcome to this hobby!

From what you've mentioned, you've definitely taken a wise approach to entering this hobby, reading up and talking to more experienced practitioners.

As for tranmitter modes, as flightsimmer said, it's ultimately up to your personal preference. I suppose you already know what the difference is between the two, but if not, do look within this and other sites for a description, I've seen it somewhere here. Do note that in Singapore, we tend towards Mode 1, while in other countries likes the USA, Mode 2 is the norm. Personally I use Mode 2, partly because my buddy/instructor used that, but it's really up to you. Of course it's easier on your instructor if you choose the mode he/she is used to

I also did my initial practice on a PC simulator, namely FMS. I have a thread in this RC Electronics section on setting up FMS and making your own cable if you are a DIY-type person. Hope you find that useful. I did a lot of 'crashing' on the PC before going to the field, and I found it helped me a lot, personally speaking.

Of course, when you eventually head down to the field with your E-starter (a good choice for a first trainer), I hope you will have an experienced instructor to guide you on your first few flights. Simulator traiining is no substitute for a live instructor to teach you things the sim can't. You'll know what I mean when that day arrives. :>

Pick up as much knowledge as you can on this hobby, keep safety foremost in all your efforts, and may you have a smooth introduction and many years of enjoyment in this wonderful sport!

Cheers!
              ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

Thanks crafter and everybody for ur advice. I would like to ask u regarding this GWS e-starter plane. Aside fromThe trainer plane that comes with the motor & propeller, I need to buy the below items: Is this items good enough for me as a beginner. No. 1 item Transmitter, Im going to purchase the spektrum DX6i (it comes only with receiver ,right) so which servos I need to buy and how much is it.

Power System
                EPS350C
                Propeller
                EP-1080
                Recommended Items you need to start flying (not included):

1. Code: Laser4 HFS 29/35/40/72MHz
                FM Remote Control (micro servos HS-55 x 2 and receiver included)

2. Code: EK2-0600
                20A BEC

3. Code: 3E01
                7.4V 800mah Li-Po Battery

4. Code: EK2-0851
                Li-Po DC charger

5. Code: EK2-0902
                110-240V AC Adapter

The above is based on rotor hobby list. Is this enough/complete items for my first airplane

Thanks for ur help

Comment

Minimal requirements met, but do consider....

The radio system (Transmitter/Receiver, or Tx/Rx for short) in my opinion is your 'flagship' investment. Unless you're the sort who can get a new set every now and then, then this is the investment you will be carrying from model to model, in other words you'll likely use this for a number of years. Hence the choice of radio system is one that should be done with some care. you should ask yourself:

1a) how long you think you'll be pursuing this hobby. This will help you justify how much you should consider investing on the system (with future use in mind). There's more to this statement but since you've already picked a system I think you already know about this part so I won't bore you further on it, but if you'd like to hear more do mention :>

1b) What kinds of models you'll likely be using it with. Your first post already mentions both planes to start with, then helis. With that in mind, get a system that handle both such models well. Your current choice of a Dx6i does meet this requirement. Different model types have their own unique control mixes and settings, so choose one that meets your anticipated needs. Having said that, many modern computer radios have settings to cater to powered fixed-wing planes, helis, and gliders.

1c) How many separate functions you think you'll want to control at a time, which will determine the minimum number of channels you'll need the system to have. Of course the more the merrier, but then the higher cost factor comes in. You'll have to balance this with your budget.

1d) Important! Price of Receivers(Rx). If you intend to maintain multiple models, do note that normally each model will need its own Rx installed in it, meaning buying several Rx. Unless you intend to shift one Rx from model to model, the cost of each Rx may be an important factor in your initial radio system selection. Some brand-systems will require that you can only use that brand of Rx, which may be quite pricey and you won't have any other alternatives, whereas there are some systems which are compatible with many other brands/makes of Rx, and thus cost less per piece. If you need more detail on this point again do mention.

As for the Dx6i, I don't own that so I hope other owners can shed more light on what the package actually comes with, whether or not servos are included, and if so, what type. Also the cost of each DSM2 Rx.

2) The EK2-0600 at Rotor is described as a 'Heli' ESC. I'm not sure if it's anything special or whether it can be used correctly in the E-Starter. Hope others can chip in comments here on this item.

3) The battery rating seems about right for the E-Starter. Do check that it's physical size will fit into the battery compartment at the bottom of the E-Starter though. Other E-Starter owners, please advise.

4) As for the LiPo charger, the EK2-0851 mentioned is a simple 2S and 3S (2 cells and 3 cells in series, respectively) fixed-current balance-charger. This is a very affordable type of charger. however, it is limited to being able to balance-charge only 2S and 3S batteries at 650mA or so. Just as above, if you foresee yourself advancing deeper into this hobby and maybe using 4s, 5S and 6S batteries, or smaller capacity batteries (say, 350mAh) and needing lower charging currents, you may want to consider a more versatile, but of course more expensive charger, something like the GT Power A6 (Rotor product code GTPOWERA6) (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY) which will cater to batteries up to 6S and have adjustable charge rates from 5A down to 100mA. Of course this all will depend on your personal requirements and more importantly, your current budget, but I just thought I'd make you aware of this 'cos I now find myself in such a situation. For me, I now need a charger with a charge-rate that can be lowered to around 100mA or less, as I'm now playing with small-capacity batteries. This may save you having to buy another charger down the road as your requirements expand. Actually I now consider a battery charger to be another flagship investment if you are going to be using electric power a lot.

5) 110-220V Ac Adaptor.
                  The stated adaptor can provide up to 1.5A (supposedly), and is probably OK for the EK2-0851 charger (do confirm connector compatibility though), but as in (4) above, if you do get a charger capable of 5A, using this adaptor with it will not allow you to charge at the full 5A has its source (this adaptor) can only provide up to 1.5A to the charger. You'll probably overload the adaptor if you tried to pull 5A out of it. Hope you understand this concept as it applies to all things electrical. :>

Oooops, I might have provided too much info to the point that it's confusing. Conceptually, you are correct in summarizing what items are minimally needed to start flying (excluding support accessories like tools, transport carrier/bag etc). The additional points are just for you to think about and maybe help you pick stuff that will see you somewhat further into the hobby without having 'upgrade' so soon, but be mindful of your budget as well.

Do note that the GWS E-Starter will require some gluing assembly. This may or may not be a good thing for you depending on your experience. Again, perhaps those who've bought one can shed more light on it. I've only repaired one, and seen it in flight, so can't comment much more on the E-Starter either. Anyone else? :>

OK, these are just my thoughts only, hope they're helpful.
                  ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

Thanks crafter and everybody for ur advice. I would like to ask u regarding this GWS e-starter plane. Aside fromThe trainer plane that comes with the motor & propeller, I need to buy the below items: Is this items good enough for me as a beginner. No. 1 item Transmitter, Im going to purchase the spektrum DX6i (it comes only with receiver ,right) so which servos I need to buy and how much is it.

Power System
                    EPS350C
                    Propeller
                    EP-1080
                    Recommended Items you need to start flying (not included):

1. Code: Laser4 HFS 29/35/40/72MHz
                    FM Remote Control (micro servos HS-55 x 2 and receiver included)

2. Code: EK2-0600
                    20A BEC

3. Code: 3E01
                    7.4V 800mah Li-Po Battery

4. Code: EK2-0851
                    Li-Po DC charger

5. Code: EK2-0902
                    110-240V AC Adapter

The above is based on rotor hobby list. Is this enough/complete items for my first airplane

Thanks for ur help
                    Hi bro. Read your choice of selection and here is my own setup for the Estarter and some personal reviews about it.

First, get the Estarter NPS, which means No-Power-System. It will be a bare body with no electronics inside.

I suggest not to get the GWS gear set. This gear set has a pinion and spur gear which reduced the revolution to the propellers. Good and bad. But here is my point of view - just get a cheap 1200 Kv brushless motor. Will only cost you about $25 or less if you can get those less branded ones.

ESC should be around 35 Amps sufficient.

Props can get 8X6 GWS ones. Don't get the paddle props.. get the thinner blade ones - more efficient.

Get a 1200 lipo instead. 800 can only last you for as much as an Estarter. Next time your 800 becomes obsolete. Get the 3S.

As for servos, 3 servos cost about $20. Enough to built your Estarter. PM me for the shop.. not convenient to post here. ( I am not seller nor receive commision, just helping out here )

As for charger, can get one which can connect direct to wall socket and also run on car battery. Not sure if you still can find such, but my Speed 15 Pro can use on wall and car battery, charges Lipo, NiCd, NiMH, rechargeable AAs, receiver pack, etc.. where to find

Estarter :

Very easy to fly on first launch. The key point is to follow the instruction when building ( instruction is crappy though ... ) and pay attention to the C.G. location !

In flight, with my 1200 KV and 1200mAh 3S, only need 1/2 trottle to fly at speed... in stable flight, can put the transmitter to "sleep mode".. the plane will soar in the air...

Once you get the hang of Estarter for couple of flying.. your 1/2 trottle can slowly "upgrade" to full trottle for more interesting stunts...

Loops, inverted, rolls.

After that, if your plane survived, you can start looking for more aggressive planes and transfer all your surviving servos, brushless, ESC, Lipo to the new plane.

As for the Estarter without the electronics, you only lost about $40. Good deal ?
                    I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Hi guys, (Crafter, blueangel,flightsimmer and other contributors)

I really appreciate your guidance on us newbies these are good tips that can help us to be in this wonderful hobby based on your experiences.

Hi blueangel , I can't decide yet when to buy the tx as I need to save first for this newly found hobby.

Thanks, again.

Comment

My first question is:

Im planning to buy Spektrum DX6i. 1) Which mode for me to buy? I'm a right handed person.

More question to come.

Thanks guys.

HAPPY FLYING!!!
                        Hi Brian, if you are purchasing the Dx6I there are some issues with certain batch of TX(check the serial number) and some of its receivers .

1) Some DX6I have binding problem with AR6000 receivers(My friend set has this problem, bought new a few month back)

2) Range DX6I with park fly AR6100 is limited to less than 200meters or even smaller if the flying field ground is wet. We found to our surprise there was no control when plane was at tree top height about 200 metres way . Decided to check out, while holding the plane at head height ... found that there no control when he walk beyond 200 metres with the plane. (He uses gps and google map to check out the distance)

When AR 6100 is designated as park fly it is!
                        There are other issues associated with DX6100 so check them on the internet before purchasing.

3) Some batches of DX6I have issues and are recall by spectrum see serial number
                        Spektrum DX6i Recall
                        2/23/2009
                        Product Recall: Spektrum DX6i transmitters with date codes 807E, 808E, 809E, 810E, 811E, 812E, and 901E.

If I am not mistaken , are problem with the gimbal control that can cause the model to crash.

Cheers

Comment

FYI :

Park flyer receivers are strictly meant for park flying. AR6200 is the full range which comes with every DX6i.

I thought the recall was a potentiometer fault, not the gimbal ?

So far my DX6i serve me so well ... I flew my Estarter so high up that I can't differentiate the plane's orientation from that distance. I think the recall is entire manufacturing batch, but not all of the units are confirmed cases, just like H1N1 - flu and cough doesn't necessary means kenna H1N1 lah
                          I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Originally posted by blueangel View Post
                            FYI :

Park flyer receivers are strictly meant for park flying. AR6200 is the full range which comes with every DX6i.

I thought the recall was a potentiometer fault, not the gimbal ?

So far my DX6i serve me so well ... I flew my Estarter so high up that I can't differentiate the plane's orientation from that distance. I think the recall is entire manufacturing batch, but not all of the units are confirmed cases, just like H1N1 - flu and cough doesn't necessary means kenna H1N1 lah

Yes it is the potentiometer but as far as user can see is when they move the Gimbal, the servo does not move correspondingly.
                            so the complain from user " gimbal move but servo don't move" rather than
                            "potentiometer move but servo don't. "

Yes you are right only certain DX6I batch. Serial number given out by H.H.

Yes AR6200 is a full range reciver but there are so many folks there still using
                            AR6100 because of the big sales price difference. My friend is one of them.

cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X