Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Braking?

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me wat's the function of the brake in some air ESC, like GWS's GS-400?

Thanks for reading.

Cheers!
    For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

it simply means that the prop will not free wheel when throttle is cut. there will still be power to make the motor hold the prop position.
    Fly or Die!

Comment

Originally posted by novalogix
      it simply means that the prop will not free wheel when throttle is cut. there will still be power to make the motor hold the prop position.
      Wat's the use of a non free-wheeling prop? Is braking function a good thing to have?

Thanks for answering.

Cheers!
      For some people it's important to show what they have, for others it's sufficient to know that they have it.

Comment

In the case of ESC braking, it is usually meant for folding props. During the sudden stopping momentum, the folding prop is designed to 'collaspe' and reduce drag.
        [SIZE="1"]
        [url]www.dxnmedia.net[/url]
        Video Post Production | HD Acquisition | Media Consultant

[/SIZE]

Comment

for normal props, braking will cause the props to stop, then in turn, the counter force will cause the plane to corkscrew the other way......lose power pretty fast, and if nose heavy, plane will plunge to a nose dive...and always will take a lot of current draw to regain power during the fall.....i hated the braking function in normal planes...so i normally turn it off....

Personal preference...
          [SIZE="1"]

[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by 9VDXN
            In the case of ESC braking, it is usually meant for folding props. During the sudden stopping momentum, the folding prop is designed to 'collaspe' and reduce drag.
            I see, can a braking ESC be used for normal props then? OK let's put it this way, if you have the moolah for one ESC and your current plane has a fixed prop, would you buy a braking ESC? Thinking forward here......

Thanks for answering.

Cheers!

Comment

for normal props, braking will cause the props to stop, then in turn, the counter force will cause the plane to corkscrew the other way......lose power pretty fast, and if nose heavy, plane will plunge to a nose dive...and always will take a lot of current draw to regain power during the fall.....i hated the braking function in normal planes...so i normally turn it off....

Personal preference...
              OK.....this sort of answered my question. Thanks again! Non-braking ESC for me then.

Comment

I would buy a braking esc if only it can be software programmed to disable it....

I have a brushed esc with permenant esc brake and I hated it coz i dun fly gliders with folding props.....i had to TX program it so that after take off, i set it to 10% at lowest throttle so it doesn't activate the brake in flight.
                [SIZE="1"]

[/SIZE]

Comment

...so i normally turn it off....
                  I guess GS400's braking function can't be switched off.

Comment

not sure about that esc....haven't been playing with brushed setup for a long time...
                    [SIZE="1"]

[/SIZE]

Comment

not sure about that esc....haven't been playing with brushed setup for a long time...
                      GWS sure didn't mention anything about switching off the braking function in their website.

Comment

dunno leh...i remember ICS300 from GWS didn't have braking......my old ****** 400esc also didn't have braking.....and Multiplex 40amps brushed esc had braking but is programmable......and my current Great Planes 40amps have permenent braking functions....

so u better check carefully b4 putting your money down...
                        [SIZE="1"]

[/SIZE]

Comment

A windmilling propeller actually causes alot of drag. A propeller with brake on is better. Im afraid your description is wrong.

As the propeller slows down there will be an rpm at which the angle of attack on the propeller blade becomes negative.

As the air flows over the propeller it produces lift, as always. But, now the Lift, or "Thrust" is in the wrong direction. "Thrust" is backwards. IE, it is actually drag.

Comment

http://142.26.194.131/aerodynamics1/Multi/Page2.html

Comment

Originally posted by Mathieu
                              A windmilling propeller actually causes alot of drag. A propeller with brake on is better. Im afraid your description is wrong.

As the propeller slows down there will be an rpm at which the angle of attack on the propeller blade becomes negative.

As the air flows over the propeller it produces lift, as always. But, now the Lift, or "Thrust" is in the wrong direction. "Thrust" is backwards. IE, it is actually drag.
                              So does the braking function affect a plane's dynamics in mid-flight when the throttle is released? I'm a beginner in rc plane.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X