Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to choose suitable ESC for particular motor

hi guys, i'm new here and grateful for this forum to share ideas.

i have a question. how do you guys choose the suitable ESC for your particular motor?

for e.g. i have a motor which a maximum current rating of 18A. does it mean that my ESC should have a current rating of more than 18A? is this the only criteria?

thanks.

On the safe side, the rule of thumb is to choose an ESC 1.2 times the max current drawn rated by the motor. Hope this helped. Cheers!

Comment

More Lipo = more RPM?

Hi Macdream,

I am quite new to electric RC. I wanted to get more out of my in-runner motor. Will adding more Lipo cells increase the performance of the motor? I have a 4900 Kv motor installed on a 36" Zagi (350gram total weight) using a 4.75" APC pusher propeller. I used a 30A ESC and a 2-cell lipo (7.4V, 20C, 1300Mah) and also a 3-cell lipo (11.1V, 20C, 1400Mah) - it gives a lot of power. What happens if I install a 4-cell lipo (14.8V, 25C) battery? Will it gives more RPM and hence more speed?

I think I have already accidentally fried 2 motors and 1 ESC literally caught fire while flying. Maybe I should invest in a watt meter to investigate.

Comment

More cells, same motor kv, same ESC = more amp draw. U will be frying another ESC.

Comment

Just bought a Watts Up

I bought a Watts Up meter from Hobby City and tested all my electronic setup. Quite a lot of surprises!

For my Zagi, my setup:

Motor: KB20-40-12L, Max Amp: 20A, 4800kv
          ESC: 30A
          Lipo: 1300Mah, 2-cell, 7.4V, 20C
          Prop: APC4.75x4.75 pusher

The results of the test:

Max Amp drawn: 38A!
          Power: 260W

Yes, I am frying my motor and battery!! I will switch to a 25A ESC for another test.

Comment

Beside using a Watt meter, is there any manual calculation to determind the amp draw and power??

Comment

Originally posted by MeePokMan View Post
              I bought a Watts Up meter from Hobby City and tested all my electronic setup. Quite a lot of surprises!

For my Zagi, my setup:

Motor: KB20-40-12L, Max Amp: 20A, 4800kv
              ESC: 30A
              Lipo: 1300Mah, 2-cell, 7.4V, 20C
              Prop: APC4.75x4.75 pusher

The results of the test:

Max Amp drawn: 38A!
              Power: 260W

Yes, I am frying my motor and battery!! I will switch to a 25A ESC for another test.
              Looking at your motor is high KV you so 2 cells LIpo is the way to go.
              If the ESC or motor permit higher Lipo cells count setup , the rule of the thumb is to reduce the size or choose a lower pitch prop.
              I have seen some guys who simply up the lipo cells count without reducing the size of the propeller with predictable disastrous result!

General safe rule

High KV motor=smaller prop size & lower cells count setup
              Lower KV motor = larger prop size, number of cells count is more flexible.

just my two cents....

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by MeePokMan View Post
                Hi Macdream,

I am quite new to electric RC. I wanted to get more out of my in-runner motor. Will adding more Lipo cells increase the performance of the motor? I have a 4900 Kv motor installed on a 36" Zagi (350gram total weight) using a 4.75" APC pusher propeller. I used a 30A ESC and a 2-cell lipo (7.4V, 20C, 1300Mah) and also a 3-cell lipo (11.1V, 20C, 1400Mah) - it gives a lot of power. What happens if I install a 4-cell lipo (14.8V, 25C) battery? Will it gives more RPM and hence more speed?

I think I have already accidentally fried 2 motors and 1 ESC literally caught fire while flying. Maybe I should invest in a watt meter to investigate.

more cell = higher voltage = technically higher rpm...but that is only if your motor can take more cells. also remember that your esc has a certain capacity it can take so you might have to change that too. go find out more information on your motor as to how much voltage it can take =) should be able to find out such info easily

Comment

Thanks for the advice! After knowing that I am pushing the motor beyond its 20A max load (the reading according to Watts Up is 38A), i am still enjoying the Zagi with the overload. The motor cost US$14 from United Hobby, I think I don't mind frying it! I get more bang out of my money!

Now, I am trying to find out why my glider started a small fire with the ESC totally burnt! Another case of poor matching of motor-ESC-battery!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X