Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing FMS and Connecting via SmartPropoPlus cable

Hi All,

From time to time I've seen posts by newbies asking about starting out on R/C flight simulators. Many are on a tight budget, and commercial R/C flight sims can be quite prhibitively priced. Thankfully there's FMS (Flying Model Simulator) which can be downloaded and used freely. I personally (re)started my R/C flying adventure by using FMS to hone my coordination and reaction before heading to the field, so I will personally vouch for the usefullness of such learning aids for preliminary training and supplements to actual field practice. Sure, there are several better flight sim programs out there, but for sheer affordability, It's hard to beat FMS as a workable, low-cost, first flight-sim to start on.

Installing FMS on a PC is easy, but connecting your transmitter(Tx) to the PC can be another thing. The steps I'm providing below are for the installation of FMS on a PC, and connecting a Tx to the PC so that the simulated 'models' can be controlled using the Tx. Specifically, I'll be touching on this connection using the SmartPropoPlus driver, which makes connection to a PC as simple as plugging into the "Line-In" or "Microphone" ports on the PC's sound card, without the need for special circuits. There are other ways of connecting a TX to operate FMS, but I found the SmartPropoPlus way the simplest for me. All that's needed is to make a simple audio cable.

Installing FMS on a PC
    1) Firstly, go to the FMS homepage (http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html), enter their "downloads" section, and download the FMS installer. You will see more than one version there, but I've been using their latest (ver 2.0 Alpha 8,5) happily so far, so my description here is based on that version.

2) Run the downloaded installer from step 1 to install FMS on your PC, and note the location of the installation.

Installing SmartPropoPlus (SPP) Tx-to-PC audio port driver
    3) From the FMS homepage, you will also see a link to the "SmartPropoPlus" webpage. Go to the SmartPropoPlus homepage following that link. At the top of the SmartPropoPlus homepage, you will see a row of 'buttons'.

4) Click the "Download" button. Look for the "Installer" link. At the time I'm writing this, their latest version is 3.3.5. Click the link to download the installer.

5) After downloading the SPP installer, run it.

6) In the first dialog, you will be asked to choose a version of SPP. If you only wish to use SPP with FMS, choose "SmartPropoPlus for FMS". This version is started when you start FMS, and closes when you close the FMS program. I've used this version and found it works fine.

7) The next dialog is where you point to the location that you installed FMS in step 2. SPP should be installed into this same location to work as designed.

In addition to these steps, You should click on the "Installation" button on the SPP webpage for detailed installation instructions.

Connecting your Transmitter(Tx) to your PC
    Now, you will need to hook up your Transmitter to your PC to control your virtual 'model'. A cable will be needed for this.

8) Still at the SPP webpage, click the "Cables" button. Depending on what Tx you are using, look for it in the listing and click its related link. You should be presented with instructions and diagrams to fabricate your own Tx-to-PC cable. I'm using a Hitec Eclipse 7 Tx, so I can say that the info in the "Hitec" link under the second group (6-pin DIN) works for both the Hitec Eclipse 7 and Optic 6 Txs.

This is the part where some work on your part is required. I made my own cable with parts from Sim Lim Tower, and it should not cost more than $15 or less. Do be careful when making connections to your Tx. Double-check your connections first!

When you have done all the above, do read through the info under the "Installation" and "Step-by-Step" buttons so you'll have a clear idea of this whole setup, especially the part under "Step-by-Step" that mentions how to configure the SPP console(Configuration of Modulation section). I had NO PART in the creation of FMS nor SmartPropoPlus, so of course I can't provide you with any kind of support on that. You will have to refer to these webpages for that. All I can say is that I've successfully managed to run FMS and control it using my Tx, based on the info provided at these webpages. If I can do it, you can too!

Alternatively or course, you could go to some local hobby shops and buy the FMS and controller unit, all packaged and ready to use, for about $35. Unless you're actually using an E-Sky Tx for your real models, then the supplied controller won't be the same as your actual TX. For me, I had the satisfaction of making my own cable, seeing it work, and being able to use my actual Tx to practice on the PC, and it cost less than $35. Well, the choice is yours.

Hope this has been helpful.

Pete
    ... It's in the Details... :>

Great info Pete, very helpful. I personally think the $40 odd the LHS charge for such a simple setup is outrageous.
    I am going to work on building one for myself and will post back the results.

Comment

Update - Using FMS on modern notebooks, netbooks

I started this thread with knowledge gleaned from installing FMS on a desktop PC. Since then, I've also tried similar installations on notebooks and a netbook, with varying degrees of success and frustration, and along the way learning more about FMS's requirements, and the apparent limitation of SmartPropoPlus.

Audio Input limitations on notebooks, netbooks
      While I had virtually no problem using SmartPropoPlus on my desktop PC and feeding the Tx signal into the audio 'Line-In' port of my sound card, the same could not be said on a notebook and a netbook I tried. On these, usually only the 'Mic' port is present (which can be selected in SmartPropoPlus), and I just could not get a reliable signal to FMS no matter what combination of settings I tried. Somehow the integrated sound circuitry was not sending the Tx signal through. Perhaps there are other sound settings I am unaware of?

FMS's Serial port requirement
      On my netbook, I found that I could not even get FMS to launch. a check on the FMS forum revealed that FMS requires the presence of at least one Serial port to be present on the PC before it will run. The serial port is hardly used these days, and netbooks (and probably some notebooks) have completely done away with serial ports in their architecture(I think). The solution recommended on the forum is to install a seperate 'virtual' serial port emulator application, which creates a 'virtual' serial port that FMS can send data to. I was able to get FMS to run on the netbook after doing this. This application has to be started before running FMS. However, the issue with the audio input as mentioned still remained.

So while FMS could be launched on the notebook and netbook, using SmartPropoPlus on them, I still could not get my Tx signal through to it. The final solution for me was to acquire a USB-FMS Tx cable, available commercially. The USB cable emulates a 4-axis USB joystick in MS-Windows, and is easily recognized by FMS. So my point here is that if you intend to install FMS on a notebook or netbook, you may not be able to connect your Tx to it using audio ports via SmartPropoPlus. You may have to go the USB way on these. At least on conventional full-fledged desktops though, I've had full success. :>

If others can shed more light on this topic, I'd really love to hear and learn from you. Thanks.
      ... It's in the Details... :>

Comment

Working...
      X