Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Receiver performance in terms of sensitivity and interference table for reference

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receiver performance in terms of sensitivity and interference table for reference

This link has a good range of receivers tested for sensitivity, width test and interference test. Good reference for those who own the brands in the table. I was surprised to see mighty Futaba getting pretty lousy performance in terms of sensitivity to signal and tolerance to interference.

Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

wow so far i have used futaba recievers for quite awhile and no problem yet.. but the price is kinda high..

btw can anyone explain wad's all these means?

RF sensitivity dBm/uV
    Noise tolerance at power wire
    channel width at
    –50dBm
    channel width at
    –70dBm

Comment

Originally posted by Xalive
      wow so far i have used futaba recievers for quite awhile and no problem yet.. but the price is kinda high..

btw can anyone explain wad's all these means?

RF sensitivity dBm/uV
      channel width at
      –50dBm
      channel width at
      –70dBm

From the page:

RF sensitivity dBm/uV:
      both represented in dBm and in voltage, better sensitivity means a lower input signal was needed for 50% signal to noise ratio (10dB SINAD)
      a -110dBm receiver is 6dB better than a -104dBm type, for each 6dB better sensitivity you will get double the range -
      if you don't have any other factors like noise on the power supply line. If you have a receiver with less than -90dBm sensitivity
      you will have a 500-800 meter range with most transmitters, this will give flips and range problems..
      suggestions: always look for at least -100dBm if you fly outside.

the most important parameter in electric planes, but sometimes also in gasoline planes if you get noise from ignition systems,
      or even (digital) servos can inject unwanted noise into the receiver power line.
      Higher value is better, this is the recorded level where I got 50% signal to noise ratio at -90dBm RF input.
      I have some general levels from problematic real life planes, then I measured the receivers and changed to better,
      so I know if they can only handle 70-100mVpp of 455kHz injected into the +5V line, you will get flips and range problems on many electric planes.

channel width at –50dBm
      the channel width is measured to get the absolutely most wide result.
      not like the most common way at -3dB at each side of the filter.

The reason I do it this way is I want to find the good and the bad receivers, not to pass them all as ok if they are really not.
      -50dBm is chosen as the most strong signal, I have made a few tests and found this level at 3-6 meters away from transmitters,
      so it can and will happen in real life. If the width is much wider at -50dBm compared to the -70dBm width, we have either a bad filter
      or a bad / not implemented AGC (automatic gain control) so the first stage will be blocked or over drive of the filter.
      We all know the channel spacing we use on the 35MHz band is 10kHz,
      and the filter width I measure is often 20 to 30kHz, so you will be able to get noise or jammed if your pals are one or two channels from your channel,
      and if they are closer to your plane, than you are. This limitation is normal and should be considered by all users.

channel width at –70dBm
      signal input level lowered 20dB, then we see the width again, at this rather weak signal level it is impossible to overdrive input gain stages.
      Wider = bigger number, is worse result.

-------------------------------------------------------------

All receivers are either my own, or borrowed from several RC shops, or donated to me for the time it take to do all this work.
      some was borrowed from private persons, in any case thanks to all persons who helped me.
      Measure results with alarming bad results are marked with BOLD.
      Use all results with care, you can not say one is better than the other, without also comparing the usage of it.

I am still open for new receivers, that are not on my list,
      contact me to find out how to help me and the rest of the world. The best way to get your receivers on this list it to simply send it to me for keeps,
      Then I will measure it, and test it, and donate it for beginners and club projects in my local RC plane club.

Comment

Oh and btw, if you want to see a really good receiver. Ask Hotdogbun, he can do a range check tx collasped and walked right to the other end of field no problem.

Example of a really good receiver in lab test

Comment

I'm using the Mulitplex 7 Chn Syn receiver with IPD technology.... Very confident with the Rx

Comment

Did anyone try the RP4S1 synthesized receiver from Corona-RC?

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22
              This link has a good range of receivers tested for sensitivity, width test and interference test. Good reference for those who own the brands in the table. I was surprised to see mighty Futaba getting pretty lousy performance in terms of sensitivity to signal and tolerance to interference.

http://www.webx.dk/rc/RX-measurement...let-listen.htm
              Hi Edmond , I use to measure the Futaba over a decade ago and still remmember they are around -110dbm ...those "grandfather " Rx think R107m series...for gas engine.

These Rx with good sensitivity are Ok for gas engine application.

However , with more electric flight, sensitivity of the RX takes a different meaning.
              The more sensitivity the Rx also means it is also more susceptable to ESC noise which is broadband in nature...so does not means good sensitivity is good range for electric flight applications. Although the selectivity of these RX are excellent it, is helpless against broad band noise from the ESC.

For this reason I switch from 29mhz Futab radio to 2.4Ghz for e-flight application.
              I have no glitch so far with the 2.4Ghz radio...over a year.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Babylon5
                Hi Edmond , I use to measure the Futaba over a decade ago and still remmember they are around -110dbm ...those "grandfather " Rx think R107m series...for gas engine.

These Rx with good sensitivity are Ok for gas engine application.

However , with more electric flight, sensitivity of the RX takes a different meaning.
                The more sensitivity the Rx also means it is also more susceptable to ESC noise which is broadband in nature...so does not means good sensitivity is good range for electric flight applications. Although the selectivity of these RX are excellent it, is helpless against broad band noise from the ESC.

For this reason I switch from 29mhz Futab radio to 2.4Ghz for e-flight application.
                I have no glitch so far with the 2.4Ghz radio...over a year.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Cheers

Tempted liao lar lol.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22
                  Tempted liao lar lol.
                  Time to do it especially with the new bigger bird pending...
                  Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Comment

Do it ! Do it ! ...you know you wanna !
                    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Working...
                    X