Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric motors

Hi guys,

i've read some pretty great specs on electric motors and throughout i've found out something about them that's interesting. Maybe someone good enough can interpret this for me:

Whenever the no. of winds in an electric motor increases, its KV decreases. Well, we all know that the KV means how fast the motor turns per volt of electrical power. Yet, power seems almost equal to both motors (APPARENTLY)

What I'm confused about is the difference between 2 obviously similar motors, except for the no. of winds in their cylinders and how to choose between the 2 for what kind of PLANE TYPE (EDF or flat out normal), electronics SETUP and what I wanted the model to perform for me.
    The Joker, "I may be crazy enough to take on Batman, but the IRS? Noooo!"

On line Motor Cal

Try the on line motor cal

Thanks
    عبد

Comment

bro,

If i read you correctly, what you're asking is. "if power output is the same which motor should u choose?"

If you want speed. you'll usually get HIGHER KV. running a small prop. This usually = higher flying speed. of course the size of the plane affects.

To do 3D or trainer planes. you will want to get a Lower KV (<1000kv) to run bigger props like 9-12 inches...

if you run a big prop on a high KV motor it will prob fry the motor cause it will try to draw in alot of AMPS trying to reach the rpm its made to reach.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Motor Windings ?

The discussion left out torque.

The more the windings, the larger will be the torque, thus the motor will be more powerful.

Less number of windings, will make the motor run faster, but it will be low power and have less torque.

Power is the amount of work done, in unit time.
        and work done is Force X Distance moved.
        1. Force -> Torque
        => more the torque, the more is power.

Comment

Originally posted by xwing
          bro,

If i read you correctly, what you're asking is. "if power output is the same which motor should u choose?"

If you want speed. you'll usually get HIGHER KV. running a small prop. This usually = higher flying speed. of course the size of the plane affects.

To do 3D or trainer planes. you will want to get a Lower KV (<1000kv) to run bigger props like 9-12 inches...

if you run a big prop on a high KV motor it will prob fry the motor cause it will try to draw in alot of AMPS trying to reach the rpm its made to reach.

Hope this helps.
          What happen when you run a small prop on a low KV motor? Does it fry too?

I'm also new to this electric stuffs, so don't really know how to match the correct ESC to the motor. 18A ESC goes with low or high KV motor? I just buy based on recommendation by the shop.

Comment

Working...
          X