Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connectors

How many amps can the deans connector take?

When taking into consideration about the size of connectors to use, is it the amps or the watts?
    Because Amps X volts = watts.
    If a connector can take 50A, does it mean 50A @ any voltage?
    10V X 50A = 500w
    42V X 50A = 2100w!!!

So which is which?
    Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
    20,000 times a min

Hi Mathsinstrument,

Not too sure if commercially available hobby connectors like deans and corraly have Amps/Wattage ratings .....But I know most pple are only interested in the resistances present in these connectors compares to a 4" length of 12 gauge silicone wire.
    Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by mathsinstrument
      How many amps can the deans connector take?

When taking into consideration about the size of connectors to use, is it the amps or the watts?
      Because Amps X volts = watts.
      If a connector can take 50A, does it mean 50A @ any voltage?
      10V X 50A = 500w
      42V X 50A = 2100w!!!

So which is which?
      My guess would be it that it depends on current only..not watts. Because current refers to the amount of charge(in coulombs) flowing through the circuit ONLY. And NOT the amount of energy each coulomb of charge is carrying(voltage)

voltage is lost as the current flow increases through a circuit according to 'V=IR' rule. Hence the higher the current, you loose more voltage.
      So if you wanna run higher currents, you'd need less resistance in your wires/connectors.

However despite all being said, I dont know what is the current rating for Ultra Deans connectors and whether it can take 50amps
      Don't PCW

Beam E4
      Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
      Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit
        Hi Mathsinstrument,

Not too sure if commercially available hobby connectors like deans and corraly have Amps/Wattage ratings .....But I know most pple are only interested in the resistances present in these connectors compares to a 4" length of 12 gauge silicone wire.
        Here's my 1 cents worth;

Think the most important is the contact resistance of the connectors, V=IR, voltage is fix (Battery), Current depend on the motor loading, if contact resistance is high, voltage drop accross the connector will be high, Heat generated will also be higher (IR2), hence power loss will be more at the connector.

AIR
        HB K2 - Service
        CopterX 450 - Hanger
        IFO - Service
        Walkera H05 mini plane
        JR X3810
        LAND
        Kyosho Javelin - Garage
        Tamiya TT01 Subaru WRX - In Service
        Tamiya M03 Hello Kitty Swift - For wife
        Cen Mini Madness - For son
        Team Losi Speed T - In Service
        Tamiya TamTech Frog
        Sanwa MXA
        Sanwa MX3S
        Losi 2.4GHz

Crash Lander
        Can crash land anytime anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by badtzmaru
          Here's my 1 cents worth;

Think the most important is the contact resistance of the connectors, V=IR, voltage is fix (Battery), Current depend on the motor loading, if contact resistance is high, voltage drop accross the connector will be high, Heat generated will also be higher (IR2), hence power loss will be more at the connector.
          You are right ! ...this is exactly my thoughts !

Comment

Originally posted by helirulz
            However despite all being said, I dont know what is the current rating for Ultra Deans connectors and whether it can take 50amps
            I have used deans connectors on RC Cars (competition level) running easily 80Amps constant (200Amps surge) at 7.2V with no problems
            ...This is with the standard dean and NOT the mini deans !

Comment

Working...
            X