Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beep and Tunes Generated by Motor?

Hi ya'll,

I am quite surprised when I tested the HobbyWing ESC today with the programming card. When I selected the numerous power-up tunes, I realized the sound is coming from the motor and not the esc.

Is this the norm for all escs? Never noticed that before. How on earth does the motor make music when there is no speaker diaphragm or membrane?

The hobbywing esc also gets quite hot when I played around with the tune selection. Normal?

Cheers!

Yeek

Nearly all ESCs have a tune which they make the motor play. So it is perfectly normal. No idea how they do it!

p.s. Outrunners seem to be louder and small inrunners seem to be softer!

Comment

yea i found it kinda weird that the sound was comming out of the motor...
      i guess the ESC gets hot because settings are being changed, which must use alot of power?
      (dono if im right)

cheers
      shmuckerz

Comment

hi Yeek...i think the tune comes from the wires...ultrasonic vibration......if you bring them near your ear immediately after powering on..you can hear it wisptering...."Go fly now!"..... (make sure you don't mount the prop yet when doing this action...else you can challenge Arthur with your ear instead of nose" keke...

say...did your esc comes with Lambada tune?
        Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

HEy guys.
          Its perfectly normal for all ESCs.
          The sound does come from the motor and not the ESC itself.

It's something about the ESC sending out signals to the motor.

Thanx!
          SLOPE SOARING NOT A CRIME

The irresistible desire, for the irresistibly desired

Multiplex Royal Evo 12 user, and Proud of it.

Comment

COol!

Wow this is cool! How on earth did they "vibrate" the motor to a tune? Reminds me of the "Beyond 2000" handphone implantation design that vibrates your tooth for listening to incoming calls.....man......RC designs pretty cutting edge man!

Yeek

Comment

Music Box

Hahaha! No lambada man, but got Oh Susanna, jingle bells, Auld Lang Syne and many more! Will disable the music immediately man, too shy to operate a karaoke in the field!

Yeek

Originally posted by P4cm4n2000
              hi Yeek...i think the tune comes from the wires...ultrasonic vibration......if you bring them near your ear immediately after powering on..you can hear it wisptering...."Go fly now!"..... (make sure you don't mount the prop yet when doing this action...else you can challenge Arthur with your ear instead of nose" keke...

say...did your esc comes with Lambada tune?

Comment

so we still dunnoe how the sound is created. But i think the CastleCreations melody is one of the best!

Comment

How a speaker would work. Electrical +/-ve pulses send to the coil of the speaker, causing the coil to vibrate in/out, producing sound wave. For the motor, same thing applies, the electrical pulses was send to the motor, causing it to rotate rapidly cw/ccw in very small increment, thus behaving like a speaker. If u notice, the prop rotate a little side to side when the tune is playing.
                  Akro 804M(GP to EP), Built by Mr Bong in 1985, a gift from Daniel Soon - KIA
                  Phoenix Domino Trainer (EP) no1, eated by tree
                  Phoenix Domino Trainer (EP) no2, maiden on 17 Oct 09 at Anchorvale
                  Clouds Fly(EP), convert to night flyer?
                  Heli
                  Honey Bee Fp flight time - 110 hrs : Pass on to Invisible Angel for him to practice
                  Hirobo GPH346 flight time - alot of CP 15% liao

Comment

yea i noe it has something to do with the motor's movement. I have even tried turning the motor manually by hand when the tune is playing. YES it does affect the tune. But normal speakers use these current to vibrate a cone.(thus moving air) but i got no idea how the motors can move the air.

Comment

For inrunner motor, vibration of the motor rotor was transmitted to the motor casing, but majority of the energy will transmit to the gear and ended up to the prop, so in a sense, the prop is the "speaker cone" that amplify the sound wave. Without attaching the inrunner motor to anything, the sound volume should be softer because the vibration is transmitted from the motor case only.

To make different note, the ESC will cos the motor rotor to vibrate in the required frequency.
                      Heli
                      Honey Bee Fp flight time - 110 hrs : Pass on to Invisible Angel for him to practice

Comment

cool. One day they will come up with polyphonic melodies! (dream on... )

Comment

To add on.. I noticed the amp draw peak around 6 to 8 amp when the tune was played on my ESC. I am using anolog AMP meter, so the needle jump up and down like those old HIFI set's volume meter. Those people borned around my era will know what i am saying.. haha
                          Heli

Comment

Originally posted by Artyspec
                            cool. One day they will come up with polyphonic melodies! (dream on... )
                            i guess ESC manufacturers won't be interested in polyphonic melodies... but i really hope that future ESCs might come up with custom mp3 ringtones like those in mobile phones

Comment

Originally posted by temannis
                              To add on.. I noticed the amp draw peak around 6 to 8 amp when the tune was played on my ESC. I am using anolog AMP meter, so the needle jump up and down like those old HIFI set's volume meter. Those people borned around my era will know what i am saying.. haha
                              based on my experience with electric motors and analog multimeters. these are the possibilities i could think of
                              • the ESC generates high frequency electric pulses to the motor in order to create the sound in your motor. The electric current changes so quickly that the needle on your ammeter simply bounce back and forth.
                              • electric motors draw a lot of current when stationary(not spinning)...therefore
                              • 6-8amps peak might be possible but do take note that the needle tends to overshoot and indicate a higher value when there is a sudden change in current through the ammeter. so the ammeter might not be as accurate when measuring pulsing signals

Comment

Working...
                              X