Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does a Brushless Motor fail?

Hi Ya'll,

Spoilt several of my brushless motors over the last 6 months due to crashes. The motors still turn nicely but after a few minutes of flight they just go intermittent on the power. I've seen a friend's behave the same way after a crash.

As far as I know, the motors are just coils of wire on metal plates encased in rows of magnets. Apart from broken wires and solder joints, how does a crash spoil a motor? Thought at most the spindle bent.....

I just don't get it! Anyone gurus care to enlighten me?

Thanks!

Yeek

one of ur wires to ur motor are very loose and on the verge of coming off. This joint has a relatively high resistance. After a few mins of flying, the joint heats up and the esc senses an incresased resistance and cuts ur motor off. The intermittent is the same as when u only have 2 wires plugged in right?

Comment

Why fail?

Hi,

Your described symptom sounds just about right! Like only 2 wires are connected. But close inspection cannot find any bad connection leh.....sigh!

Yeek

Comment

resolder. sometime bad soldering will cause intermitten prob as well.

mike

Comment

Hi

Ok thanks!

I will take my motors apart and re-inspect and re-solder....since it is spoilt already nothing to lose trying!

CHeers!

Yeek

Comment

Most of the time is due to the copper wire which the coating has peel off... then there is a short circuit.

Normally, when I start to coil my CD rom, I will use a meter to test if there is any short circuit before I carry on . Avoiding any prob when its fully coiled. After completing the coiling, I will put on a prop as load to test it out.

Sometimes it will not turn as smooth and went 'auto-cut' . this is due to short circuit (which will happened during coiling, coating peel off), nr of turn mis-count (try coiling when watching TV, its "fun" ) or the prop is not suitable (too much load). Then, its either u change to prop size or back to the old drawing board again..... RE-COIL

Happy coiling bro...

PS: worst record... wasted 5m of copper wire on just 1 CD rom and still short circuit or miscount the turns but this motor turns out to be the best till now after completion....
            Roll call from hanger
            -Kyosho, STRATUS 1600 Glider
            -JH Spitfire-25 size (no 2.)
            -Cap 232-15 size
            -GWS P51 Mustang EP, from a nice DH flyer
            -Dualsky Breeze PRO

Kissed the ground...

-Scanner
            -JH Spitfire-25 size (no 1.)

Frequency

-Spektrum, DX7

Comment

Coiling!

Woh!

Looks like I have some serious re-coiling to do! I have checked out your webpage reference on re-coiling on the other thread....just what I need!

Thanks!

Yeek

Comment

hahahaaaaa.... I did read through the URLs but human nature made me cant take in so much....

So I only read those which interests me and then, R & D, trial & error....
                infact I cant give u any specific answer too, I jus base on my recoil, recoil,recoil and recoil experience...

But there is one VERY IMPORTANT tool u must hv if u r going 2 coil ur CD rom.

METER! test before proceeding or else u will kill anyone beside u out of frustration... (also u will go all the time)

Happy coiling!!!!

drop a msg if u need help, we can share our experiences.

my 2 cents..
                Roll call from hanger
                -Cap 232-15 size
                -Dualsky Breeze PRO

Kissed the ground...

-Scanner

Frequency

-Spektrum, DX7

Comment

Recoil....not the firearms kind

Ha ha! Sounds like a very exasperating thing to recoil!

I will attempt my 1st try soon and will update you on my experience!

Thanks!

Yeek

Comment

try these 2 URLs

originally from
                    FAQ Re-winding and building motors, tips and tricks, checks and tests Electric Motor Design and Construction

U will sure enjoy it coz u can custom make a motor to ur own preference. torque, speed, current draw, RPM, prop size...... great sense of achievement but there's a price tag.... (suffered from occassion cross-eye syndrome )
                    Roll call from hanger
                    -Cap 232-15 size
                    -Dualsky Breeze PRO

Kissed the ground...

-Scanner

Frequency

-Spektrum, DX7

Comment

Thanks!

Hi there,

Great stuff! What is a good brand copper wire to buy and which shop you recommend? Got different wire gauge for different motors ah?

Will get my fingers wet this weekend!

Thanks again!

Yeek

Comment

Working...
                      X