• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

foam painting trouble

Hello,

Im redecorating a hk t45 goshawk.

Just went to spraypaint a piece but it ended up in disaster

Before the painting i rubbed down the part with alcohol to remove mold release.
    The paint is an acrylic based and i have used this brand before on foam with no problem.

The paint just walks off like its water on an oily surface.

Does someone have a solution that i can try?

Thnks in advance

Hi this is what i do:

Lets say im painting the wing (foam)...

-Wash the wing with mama lemon - ntuc dish washing liquid with tap temp water. (DO NOT use HOT water)
    -Wipe the wing dry with tissue paper and get it really dry by air conditioning or a fan (DO NOT use the hairdryer).
    -Really really lightly sand the wing with 400-600grit sand paper to make it very slightly roughened up for the paint to stick better. (DO NOT use coarse grit)
    -Wash off the wing with normal tap temp water. (DO NOT use HOT water)
    -Wipe the wing dry + leave to dry for an hour or more, maybe even a day (ensuring its really dry), then brush/whatever off the remaining sanded residue which dried on the wing.
    -mask with masking tape... then spray paint!

results:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	150799_472891444320_2151308_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	976435

I do not believe that my method is the best. honestly i think that there are many others out there who may disagree with me. And i havent sprated anything in quite awhile... so i don't think i can confidently say that 'THIS WORKS DO THIS.'

But hey, just my 2cents the paints i used cant be found at jet hobby anymore, however i do recommend these spray paints:
    http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...8&idx=1&gid=39

By the way, the Acromaster (back in 2009?) has some paint errors in the front (didnt mask properly) other than that i did a mod which screwed up the weight -.- otherwise it looked wonderful in the air, the paint wouldn't come off at all! took me 2 days to paint up this a/c. minus build time.

cheers and goodluck!
    -Nicholas

Comment

Heey nicholas,

I tried the do it color spays before with mixed results, looks like its forming some kind of powder and came of straight away.
      Finally got something that worked,

Primer coat of rust-oleum painters touch, paint+primer, only this stuf is heavy, so only a single coat sprayed from far away.
      Next is the colour coat, done with kobe acrylic lacquer.

Name:	20131122_173749.jpg
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	976472

Name:	20131122_173842.jpg
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	976473

Thanks for your reply and info, i will try in the future on some other planes

Comment

Originally posted by beertema View Post
        Heey nicholas,

I tried the do it color spays before with mixed results, looks like its forming some kind of powder and came of straight away.
        Finally got something that worked,

Primer coat of rust-oleum painters touch, paint+primer, only this stuf is heavy, so only a single coat sprayed from far away.
        Next is the colour coat, done with kobe acrylic lacquer.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]128633[/ATTACH]
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]128634[/ATTACH]

Thanks for your reply and info, i will try in the future on some other planes
        no problem =)

Im not too familiar with those two types of spray paints.

But for the Do-It spray canisters what i do is:
        *read the instructions on the back of the canister*

1.) A lightly spray the first coat, its really just to get some paint on the foam...
        there will be like a mixture of your spray colour and the white foam faintly at the back ground...
        but its okay... let it dry for 15-30mins if for whatever reason you're rushing. Or 30mins -1hr if you have plenty of time =)

2.) Spray second coat, about the same amounts as the first coat...
        your piece should look closer to the color you want, maybe with a small hint of foam with the colour
        ... But its okay, and again... let it dry for 15-30mins if for whatever reason you're rushing. Or 30mins -1hr if you have plenty of time.

*repeat step 2 untill you achieve the intensity of the colour you want. But DO NOT over do it! (like 6-10coats is a nono! its a waste of paint and a addition of un-necessary weight)
        *Wear a mask! When you start multi-coating stuff, prolonged exposure to the paint particles in the air is unhealthy (i think), and standard SOPs... use newspaper so you can leave the part on the floor and concentrate on the even distribution of the paint.

Remember, the idea is to get some paint on the part coat by coat, so that the next coat has something other than foam to stick to. I think most industries use this method of painting... (i think)

Side note. i tend to stay away from heavier paints like acrylic for foam due to the weight... foam being generally light would definately not benefit from a think coat of paint.

I'll be getting a new plane soon which i intend to paint up. Maybe i'll do a build log with how-tos of painting =)

Cheers!
        Nicholas

Comment

Working...
        X