Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cutting Depron

Hi guys,

I am wondering what and how some of the RC ppl making foamies cut their plans. I know some foamies will have curves and stuff, but how are they able to cut them smooth and nicely to the curve?

Please advise because when I am cutting straight cuts on the Depron, I notice some pieces of the foam edge after cutting got those beady beady texture, like as if someone snap the foam.

Originally posted by AreaKruzer View Post
    Hi guys,

I am wondering what and how some of the RC ppl making foamies cut their plans. I know some foamies will have curves and stuff, but how are they able to cut them smooth and nicely to the curve?

Please advise because when I am cutting straight cuts on the Depron, I notice some pieces of the foam edge after cutting got those beady beady texture, like as if someone snap the foam.
    Curved lines are alright and relatively easy to do. But if you mean bending the foam, it can be done, but it's slightly harder. One way is to use a CNC machine (which is out of reach for most mere mortals like me) or you can just print the plans out and, using a knife, slowly follow the curve to cut it out. Most times, it doesn't have to be exact.

If you're getting rough edges, your knife isn't sharp enough. One way is to use a hot wire foam cutter, available at Daiso for $2, or to sand down the rough edges using extra fine grit sandpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by perdification View Post
      Curved lines are alright and relatively easy to do. But if you mean bending the foam, it can be done, but it's slightly harder. One way is to use a CNC machine (which is out of reach for most mere mortals like me) or you can just print the plans out and, using a knife, slowly follow the curve to cut it out. Most times, it doesn't have to be exact.

If you're getting rough edges, your knife isn't sharp enough. One way is to use a hot wire foam cutter, available at Daiso for $2, or to sand down the rough edges using extra fine grit sandpaper.
      im 100% sure that my knife is sharp..but i think it is just somehow some pieces of the foam got those bigger than normal beads in them and when the knife goes thru, it just doesnt cut them properly and then it will tear the beads off and spoil the nice smooth finish. i tried the daiso $2 hotwire. but it is pretty hard to cut nicely.

i was so desperate that i made a hot wire table, but even cutting curves on it was pretty hard. straight lines are cut by sticking my steel ruler on the foam to the cutting and and use it as a "stopper" to prevent the wire from cutting deep into the lines..it work this way, but i hope i can use use an exacto knife.

Comment

im 100% sure that my knife is sharp..but i think it is just somehow some pieces of the foam got those bigger than normal beads in them and when the knife goes thru, it just doesnt cut them properly and then it will tear the beads off and spoil the nice smooth finish. i tried the daiso $2 hotwire. but it is pretty hard to cut nicely.

i was so desperate that i made a hot wire table, but even cutting curves on it was pretty hard. straight lines are cut by sticking my steel ruler on the foam to the cutting and and use it as a "stopper" to prevent the wire from cutting deep into the lines..it work this way, but i hope i can use use an exacto knife.
        Where did you get your depron from? I've never had a problem with those from art friend. The texture is so fine there's no problem with jagged edges when cutting with a sharp knife.

Comment

buona vista art friend..is those 5mm white ones. on the barcode sticker, it is written "CFoam white 5mm"

Comment

buona vista art friend..is those 5mm white ones. on the barcode sticker, it is written "CFoam white 5mm"
            I've never had a problem with those. If you realise, their 5mm foam is actually 2 pieces of 3mm foam joined together which makes it 6mm. Though I have no idea why yours are like that.

Comment

If you are using penknife to cut, hold it at a shallow angle to prevent the foam edge from tearing. Use multiple shallow cuts until the blade cuts through the material, instead of trying to slice the foam sheet with a single pass. For convex curves, instead of using the blade to follow the curve outlines, cut a facets of straight cuts and finish off with sanding block to achieve the nice curves.

If you use hotwire cutter, use thick cardboard to make templates and use them to guide the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by joe yap View Post
                If you are using penknife to cut, hold it at a shallow angle to prevent the foam edge from tearing. Use multiple shallow cuts until the blade cuts through the material, instead of trying to slice the foam sheet with a single pass. For convex curves, instead of using the blade to follow the curve outlines, cut a facets of straight cuts and finish off with sanding block to achieve the nice curves.

If you use hotwire cutter, use thick cardboard to make templates and use them to guide the wire.

i'll try your method and see if it works..i am using an exacto #11 knife

Comment

X-acto is good for cutting curves on paper. On thicker material, cutting curves with X-acto will tend to end up with the edges not perpendicular to the surface. Furthermore, X-acto #11 blade is narrow and do not like to follow the steel ruler with its relatively small blade area. The cutting edge angle is very shallow resulting a rather large lag between the cutting edge root and tip. Cutting curves on thick material will probably ended up bevelled edges.

For me, I'd rather use regular small penknife and cut multiple straight cuts and sand the edges smooth later. The edges will be pretty square with respect to the surfaces.

Comment

Working...
                  X