Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suitable materials for building a kite

Hi all,

Interested in making a simple diamond shaped kite but have a few questions to ask.

1. Frame - Where to get squarish and flexible sticks suitable for construction?
    2. String - What type of string is durable for construction and flying?
    3. Spool/Reel - Where to get a spool that is easy to release and retract the string? Want to avoid cutting the fingers.
    4. Cover - I read that it's possible to use silk, if so what type is suitable and any suggestions where to get them? Have anyone tried using silk for a diamond kite before?
    5. Tail - Ribbons could be attached to the tail to help balance the kite. What if I want to attach dove-shaped symbols at regular intervals of the ribbon? Would it affect the flight pattern of the kite. What method should I used to attach it to the ribbon; sewing?

Thanks a million!

Originally posted by comfreak View Post
    Hi all,

Interested in making a simple diamond shaped kite but have a few questions to ask.

1. Frame - Where to get squarish and flexible sticks suitable for construction?
    2. String - What type of string is durable for construction and flying?
    3. Spool/Reel - Where to get a spool that is easy to release and retract the string? Want to avoid cutting the fingers.
    4. Cover - I read that it's possible to use silk, if so what type is suitable and any suggestions where to get them? Have anyone tried using silk for a diamond kite before?
    5. Tail - Ribbons could be attached to the tail to help balance the kite. What if I want to attach dove-shaped symbols at regular intervals of the ribbon? Would it affect the flight pattern of the kite. What method should I used to attach it to the ribbon; sewing?

Thanks a million!
    Hi bro, 1) The sticks u can get at Rotor hobby but mostly are made from Graphite. 2 and 3 ) The strings and spool u can use Braided line which u can get from layangman website http://stuntkites.webs.com/. The cover i would recommend Nylon as it is cheaper ( $5 per meter) and water proof. You can get it from a shop selling Textile at Arab Street. It is the 2nd shop Beside to Aladdin( at the Traffic Junction).

Comment

Originally posted by irwan View Post
      Hi bro, 1) The sticks u can get at Rotor hobby but mostly are made from Graphite. 2 and 3 ) The strings and spool u can use Braided line which u can get from layangman website http://stuntkites.webs.com/. The cover i would recommend Nylon as it is cheaper ( $5 per meter) and water proof. You can get it from a shop selling Textile at Arab Street. It is the 2nd shop Beside to Aladdin( at the Traffic Junction).
      Hi bro,

Thanks for the tips. But can you make a notch on a graphite rod (to strengthen the structure with the string)? Would prefer something more traditional like wood. Anyone know where to get them?

As for the cover, recommendation is noted. Silk however seems more suitable for the theme of the kite. Hence asking if anyone tried flying a silk kite before. And if so what type of silk must I get. Thanks.

Comment

Hi bro,

Thanks for the tips. But can you make a notch on a graphite rod (to strengthen the structure with the string)? Would prefer something more traditional like wood. Anyone know where to get them?

As for the cover, recommendation is noted. Silk however seems more suitable for the theme of the kite. Hence asking if anyone tried flying a silk kite before. And if so what type of silk must I get. Thanks.
        Ok I found that rotor hobby actually sells dowel or pine ledge which is suitable for kite construction. So that's settled. Now anyone know what's the solution for the cover?

Comment

Ok I found that rotor hobby actually sells dowel or pine ledge which is suitable for kite construction. So that's settled. Now anyone know what's the solution for the cover?
          since u going to buy stuffs from rotor.. might as well get a ripstop for the covering from there too.

ripstop can handle stress better..
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X