Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighter than air project

I have been wanting to do this project for more than 10 years now. I know that there are ready made blimps I could buy but what would be the fun in that? Also I am looking to build one with a much further range than standard remote controllers.

In essence I'm looking to build:

1. A light frame/inflatable that will house helium (I haven't done my exact calculations but if I can get everything not more than 500g, the inflatable should be approx 4 ft x 1 ft.

2. A windows mobile powered phone with 3G to be the main "controller". For this, I need a software that I can control the windows mobile phone over 3G. Also I need a software and interface to control the motors/servos. Any help or point in the right direction for this technology is much appreciated.

3. Optionally a solar phone charger for practically unlimited flight time (charge by day, use by night).

I intend to use the camera of the phone to guide my flight. I know this is very ambitious and may not even happen but I can dream can't i? Any opinions/comments/advise/condemnation welcomed!

In other words you are building a blimp right?

For your information, there are flexible solar panels around. But they are very costly.
    Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
    Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
    Esky Dauphin
    Walkera Lama 2
    Walkera 5G6
    Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
    Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
    Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by systemx View Post
      I have been wanting to do this project for more than 10 years now. I know that there are ready made blimps I could buy but what would be the fun in that? Also I am looking to build one with a much further range than standard remote controllers.

In essence I'm looking to build:

1. A light frame/inflatable that will house helium (I haven't done my exact calculations but if I can get everything not more than 500g, the inflatable should be approx 4 ft x 1 ft.

2. A windows mobile powered phone with 3G to be the main "controller". For this, I need a software that I can control the windows mobile phone over 3G. Also I need a software and interface to control the motors/servos. Any help or point in the right direction for this technology is much appreciated.

3. Optionally a solar phone charger for practically unlimited flight time (charge by day, use by night).

I intend to use the camera of the phone to guide my flight. I know this is very ambitious and may not even happen but I can dream can't i? Any opinions/comments/advise/condemnation welcomed!
      What kind of range are you looking at? Since you are using a phone at the receiver end, how about GPS tracking real time and live video feed? With that, u can probably float your blimp all over singapore with u seated right in the comfort of your own home with real time video feed and location tracking.
      Esky Dauphin
      Walkera Lama 2
      Walkera 5G6
      Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by LittleGiant View Post
        What kind of range are you looking at? Since you are using a phone at the receiver end, how about GPS tracking real time and live video feed? With that, u can probably float your blimp all over singapore with u seated right in the comfort of your own home with real time video feed and location tracking.
        Exactly. My goal is that exactly. But the authorities may not be thrilled so gotta find a way to keep this small...

Comment

I have some info on Solar.

I went to Ikea and bought a solar charged 3-LED torchlight.
          Its spec is to charge for 7.5 hours in sun and supplies up to 5 hours light continuous on the 3 LEDs.. this could well be over-rated.. but its a cheaper way to experiment at less than $13.

However the weight of the entire device is quite heavy ( for your Blimp ) due to the storage cells in the solar power devices.. unless you plan to have unlimited power in the day ( where there is sun ), you can buy one, open it up and dissect the batteries and savage the solar panel..
          I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Originally posted by blueangel View Post
            I have some info on Solar.

I went to Ikea and bought a solar charged 3-LED torchlight.
            Its spec is to charge for 7.5 hours in sun and supplies up to 5 hours light continuous on the 3 LEDs.. this could well be over-rated.. but its a cheaper way to experiment at less than $13.

However the weight of the entire device is quite heavy ( for your Blimp ) due to the storage cells in the solar power devices.. unless you plan to have unlimited power in the day ( where there is sun ), you can buy one, open it up and dissect the batteries and savage the solar panel..
            Sweet, exactly what I am looking for... cheap stuff to experiment with!

Will upload draft plans soon.

Comment

More importantly, where to get the inflatable bag and helium??

Someone once mentioned that helium can be obtained from shops selling party stuff, in small cans for inflating balloons. Not sure if this is true.

Getting the blimp bag is another matter...
              ------------------------------
              Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
              NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by foxkilo View Post
                More importantly, where to get the inflatable bag and helium??

Someone once mentioned that helium can be obtained from shops selling party stuff, in small cans for inflating balloons. Not sure if this is true.

Getting the blimp bag is another matter...
                There's a few party companies that rent helium tanks of various sizes and capacities in Singapore.

For the inflatable piece, I actually need 2 pieces about 100cm x 35cm. Not sure how or where I'm gonna get them from, still sourcing but will need really light material like very thin foil.

Here's a quick draft of the craft I'm planning.

Comment

Sweet, exactly what I am looking for... cheap stuff to experiment with!

Will upload draft plans soon.
                  Last night my solar LED light failed to work.

Although a loss to me, I actually pry it open and ty to find out what is inside.

OK good news is... after you pry open them up, the solar panel is affix to the plastic cover one side and have 2 wires that goes to the charging system ( PCB electronic circuit ).

I think you can savage that solar panel with the 2 wires, place under the sun and measure its output voltage.

The rest of the circuit consist of a charging circuit and a switching circuit. Ehemm.. the storage for the solar LED light are two 1200mAh Nicads by the way...

Comment

My 2 cents..

Your compartment is center of both balloons.. will it cause instabilty in the air ?

If you can hang the compartment slightly lower, letting it hang down from the 2 balloons, you don't need much of a balancing act for first flight... provided your project works..

Comment

My 2 cents..

Your compartment is center of both balloons.. will it cause instabilty in the air ?

If you can hang the compartment slightly lower, letting it hang down from the 2 balloons, you don't need much of a balancing act for first flight... provided your project works..
                      Yah, i do realise that having 2 compartments in between the balloons can easily cause instability especially if I don't get both compartments exactly the same weight (which will be quite impossible). The reason for 2 compartments was to be able to "flip" the balloon between day and night mode as I did not want to attract attention in the sky.

But I think to simplify, it may have to be a single compartment in the centre hanging down as you mentioned.

Comment

Last night my solar LED light failed to work.

Although a loss to me, I actually pry it open and ty to find out what is inside.

OK good news is... after you pry open them up, the solar panel is affix to the plastic cover one side and have 2 wires that goes to the charging system ( PCB electronic circuit ).

I think you can savage that solar panel with the 2 wires, place under the sun and measure its output voltage.

The rest of the circuit consist of a charging circuit and a switching circuit. Ehemm.. the storage for the solar LED light are two 1200mAh Nicads by the way...
                        Noted. Will get it from Ikea this weekend if I have time. I won't need the Nicad batts for sure. Any idea what's the charging current like(Volt / Amp)?

Comment

Yah, i do realise that having 2 compartments in between the balloons can easily cause instability especially if I don't get both compartments exactly the same weight (which will be quite impossible). The reason for 2 compartments was to be able to "flip" the balloon between day and night mode as I did not want to attract attention in the sky.

But I think to simplify, it may have to be a single compartment in the centre hanging down as you mentioned.
                          Y flip it over? There's a membrane that changes colour when u apply voltage to it. The colour varies according to how much voltage is given to it. I don't know wat it's called though. Some pretty high tech stuff huh.
                          Esky Dauphin
                          Walkera Lama 2
                          Walkera 5G6
                          Brushless Micro-T

Comment

It can be quite windy in sg. And for something that is 500g can be easily blown to neighbouring countries. How are you going to make the blimp counter the effects of wind?
                            Esky Dauphin
                            Walkera Lama 2
                            Walkera 5G6
                            Brushless Micro-T

Comment

Originally posted by LittleGiant View Post
                              It can be quite windy in sg. And for something that is 500g can be easily blown to neighbouring countries. How are you going to make the blimp counter the effects of wind?
                              Yah realised that. But if I make it heavier, it gets bigger too.... which is something I don't want. Dilemma!

Comment

Working...
                              X