Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY magnetic prop balancer

Ok, just a simple guide on how to make your very own magnetic,super sensitive, as-good-as-any-other-magnetic prop balancer!!!! Can be done within 30minutes.

Though i don't have any step-by-step picture construction guide, by showing you the overall view of my prop balancer, any beginner should be able to cut peice by peice fix by themselves!

Stuffs you need:

1. Glue, foam glue if you're using foam.
    2. Foam, preferbably hard foam, or easy to work-with wood such as jelutong. (here i'm using blue foam)
    3. 2 Super strong magnets can be bought from hobbyshops
    4. A finger tip prop balancer , also can be bought from hobbyshops

Steps:
    1) Cut 1 base peice (make it large so it can stand)
    2) Cut 2 smaller standing peice which is going to hold the prop balancer. Length depends on how big you want to balance your prop, i did mine excatly up to 5.5inch tall, so i can balance up to a 11inch prop.
    3) Glue side peices to the base, make sure the distance apart allow the balancer to sit in nicely!
    4) Glue 2 magnets to the highest point of the standing peices.
    5) Put in the prop balancer and you're done!

Its super sensitive that, when i spin a small prop with reasonable ammount of strength, it won't stop after 1minute of spinning.

-Note in one of my picture, one of the tip of the balancer is not touching the magnet, this is fine because i'm trying to lose as much contact friction as possible, the prop saver is still strong enough to hold up a big 10inch prop. Can be use to balancer EDF blades too!

Have fun making yours!

Build it
    Fly it
    Crash it
    Fix it

nice work.

Comment

Thanks! ...

To tell you the truth i created this because i'm kinda unwilling to spend $50+ for a magnetic prop balancer sold in hobbyshops! , i'm confidently sure that this works equally well and accurate.

No more vibrations and scrapping of duct walls for ducted fans! as well as smoother spinning on the motor for propellers.
      Build it
      Fly it
      Crash it
      Fix it

Comment

Tis is wat got. But urs cheaper lah.

Comment

Is it possible to scale it up so that I can balance my 1/10 tires or even better still my 1/5 tires?

Nice design u got! Just hoping for something bigger that i can also balance my tires with!
          Losers whine about their best. Winners date the Prom Queen.

Most people talk a lot, only few are up for the moment.

Suck Squeeze Bang Blow
          20,000 times a min

Comment

Nice work

Nice work bro. Will be in my want-wish-waiting list.

Comment

Eh... pardon my dumbness but how does this thingie actually work
              Inventory

Honey Bee FP (Retired)

SJM 360 (Trying to sell)

Cessna 182. A joy to fly. (In the trashcan)

DX6i

Comment

Simple! place the prop on the balancer, and watch the heavier side of the prop swing downwards. Then i would place tape or spary glue on the lighter side to balance it.

This will ensure the prop spins smoothly on the motor
                Build it
                Fly it
                Crash it
                Fix it

Comment

Originally posted by viper1990 View Post
                  Simple! place the prop on the balancer, and watch the heavier side of the prop swing downwards. Then i would place tape or spary glue on the lighter side to balance it.

This will ensure the prop spins smoothly on the motor
                  so if the thing is balanced the prop would be horizontal to the ground?
                  i still dont get how magnets help
                  Inventory

Honey Bee FP (Retired)

SJM 360 (Trying to sell)

Cessna 182. A joy to fly. (In the trashcan)

DX6i

Comment

At the end of the prop balancer the ends are designed to shaped like a pin head, this is to ensure less surface area gets in contact and friction is reduced so the prop balancer can turn with more sensitivity.
                    The prop balancer is further placed on the magnet with only one end touching the magnet the other end is floating mid-air , this is to greatly reduce the friction contact even more so you'll get a super sensitive prop balancer.

Thats why when i balance my prop at home, i close all the windows switch off the fan to keep the air still in my room or else any slight movement the blades will turn.
                    Build it
                    Fly it
                    Crash it
                    Fix it

Comment

The cheapest way would be to use a needle.
                      Use the needle tip and aim at inside hole of prop with the prop horizontal. The heavier end will come down.
                      Repeat on opposite side.

Although not the best way, but I used this method to check my props.

$0.05 only.
                      I'm Remotely Controlled ...

Comment

Working...
                      X