Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HydroFoam Modification/Fix (Heavy Pictures)

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HydroFoam Modification/Fix (Heavy Pictures)

Yep, got myself a cheap HydroFoam ATF package about a couple months ago.

I've posted this thread in order to discuss about this particular HydroFoam, it's design faults and modifications/fixes.

Rotor's Link to "FloatPlane"

Due to faulty designs of this particular HydroFoam, the Maiden Flight was a disaster..

Theres this massive counter-torque problem which made the HydroFoam roll to the left with almost zero ability to counter it even with full right roll and yaw.

In my Opinion:

In the illustration below, AirFlow is somewhat equally split.
    But at the rear end, theres not enough Air going through the 'Vertical Stabailizer', 'Aileron/Elevator' and 'Rudder'. Causing loss of control.

After looking at many other HydroFoams designs from various creators/manufacturer.
    I figured that the prop gotta be positioned this way in order to push more air to the rear for the 'Vertical Stabailizer', 'Aileron/Elevator' and 'Rudder' to work properly.

Comment

Damages due to faulty Design during Maiden Flight.

Well, it was actually just a fracture, but I made a mistaken when I tried to use industrial glue to fix it, end up dissolving abit of the foam material.

But finally got it done with some epoxy.

Comment

ESC, RX and Batt CompartMent

When I found out the ESC burns out pretty hot in a short time.. I figured that it should run outside the Shaft's ESC compartment, which is located inbetween foams which dosen't aid in cooling it.
        But after running for awhile with the ESC outside, it still burn as hot.
        So.. Just I stick some Aluminium Heatsinks with 3M ThermalTape and literally placed the heatsink outside, it worked Perfectly.
        The Intake also makes it looks like a Scram Jet's Intake which gives it a better and furturistic look (well, at least to me) than the original SpaceShuttle/OldSchoolPlane cover.

The ESC is now running nice and just merely warm after the Mod.

When theres an InTake, theres always an OutPut. The rear of the cover is partially covered, so I just trim it off into a nice round shape.

Comment

Replaced the original Prop to a Tri-blade Prop "8x6" which I got for only S$1 thanks to HobbyLink's "S$1" sale in a "Lelong Basket/Box". It's the last and only piece.
          Also, repositioned the shaft to an angle which fixes the counter torque issue.

Small balls of Epoxy is the key to hold the shaft's mounts at that angle.

Theres this little hole at the rear, so I just stuff the programing circuit board in, which was initially stick next to the RX.

Comment

TX! Part 1: Sticks

TX's sticks came initially with just rounded edges which I'm not used to it, my thumbs were slipping many times.
            So, I used a dremel and gave it a few slices and grinding till it gets the spiky grips.

TX! Part 2: Heat Issues Too!!

Yep! when I first use this TX, it seems to get alittle too warm at the bottom and I wonder why till I opened up the TX to check it out + change from Mode 2 to Mode 1.

Ok, modified it to Mode 1 and also found out the culprit to the heaty bottom.
            Slapped on a couple heatsinks onto that particular microchip.

The heatsink did help actually.. but I'm still feeling quite alot of heat on the TX.
            I'm thinking of modifying it with a little ventilation fan and/or slits to help cool the heatsinks of that hot microchip.

Well, that's all the pics I've taken for tonight. Decided to post it when someone called me regarding this particular HydroFoam's performence and design quality/stablility.

Stay tuned~! might be adding more pics + improvements/modifications/fixes.

Comment

Hi there

Any more update to this? I am really interested in getting a hydrofoam kit, but the selection available in S'pore is really limited... So I might be getting the same model as yours, but just wanted to know how good or bad it is, thanks.
              Heli:
              Walkera #5-4
              Walkera #37

Boat:
              Tracer-2
              Century 29" EP R/C RACING BOAT

Comment

Originally posted by Babytaz
                Hi there

Any more update to this? I am really interested in getting a hydrofoam kit, but the selection available in S'pore is really limited... So I might be getting the same model as yours, but just wanted to know how good or bad it is, thanks.
                Updates:
                Yep, will be updating it soon as I'm repainting it to cover up the ugly epoxy repair and into a brighter colored HydroFoam(that is if I Can find Foam-Friendly Paints, anyone know where to grab some?).

+ perhaps I'm gonna replace the stock polycarbonate plates below the horns with teflon skid pads or something else light, smooth and durable enough to withstand skidding around.
                The polycarbonate plates tend to wear off easily even when you skid it around on polished concrete flooring.

Opinions:

well, as for performence.. Id say, it's readily Fast and Furious right out of the box.
                Everything is quite ok when you fly it fast enough for the surface controls of the "Stock" HydroFoam to be in control.
                If your speed drops to a certain level, it will loose control. Ofcourse, such minor issues easily solved with the Mods that I had stated in this thread.

I like to fly the hydrofoam for about 10mins one shot, that's why I need to modify it with heatsinks and ventilation to cool the ESC, TX and LiPo.

For those who just wanna take it airborne for just a couple mins and land for resting, Id say it will be optional to implement those heatsinks and ventilation mods.
                But I do recommend the mods inorder to have a greater and safer flying experience.

Potential Wet-Wet Disasters:
                Oh ya, don't ever skim around on water without the shaft-repositioning-mod being done. Unless you are gonna run it in your private pool/pond which you will most likely need to swim and grab it when it looses steering control.

I've tried running it on water when everything else is on Stock, Horrible experience, it will drift to the left upon throttling and it requires enough speed to let it turn right(a very slow and wide turn), other wise.. it won't even turn to the right all.

Luckily I was just giving it a shot at the shallow waters, end up I have to go picked it up when it drift too far to the left. If It were the deep waters, I'll be swimming for it man..

oh ya.. The "ventilation" mod will require full sealing of the vents when you plan to run in waters, just incase any splashes may attack the electronics.
                For me, I don't plan to run it in water for now, can't find a nice and large watery place to skim and fly around with near my area.

AND!!!! DO-NOT try to fly it from the waters when you have not done the Repositioning mod. I'm pretty sure you'll end up loosing control of the HydroFoam and it will smack straight into the waters, destorying all the electronics.

Conclusion:
                It's a great HydroFoam, just need to DIY all the fixes/mods before taking off.
                Noticed that my first sentance in this thread's first post states that it's an "ARF, Almost Ready to Fly" HydroFoam?
                It's just not ready to fly without the mods man.

Well, that's about what I gotta say about this particular HydroFoam model/brand.

Comment

By the way, Rotor sells the spare foam body at about S$100 each.

So, not really that painful to damage the body now.

It was quite a heart break when I loose control and crash landed it, causing a broken horn during it's maiden test flight.
                  That time, there wasen't any spare body to find, well.. it did motivated me to repair it myself and find out it's design faults.

Comment

Thanks for your very informative post.

Could you also post some photo / video of your flying experience? Where do yuo fly, maybe can drop by and have a look.

Thanks
                    Heli
                    Honey Bee CP2 : Sold (Maiden:17 Dec 05)
                    Trex 450XL (CDE) : MM450TH, Quark 33A, GY401, JR RS10DS (Maiden : Align Frame - 1 Jul 06; SuperFrame - 29 Aug 06)

Plane
                    Estarter : Align 450s, Align 25A, Electron 6 (Maiden :16 Sep 06)

PT-17w : Sold
                    Buggy
                    Acme NB 16 : Half 8 Nitro (Maiden :23 Dec 06)

Transmtter : JR PCM 9X II, Aggressor SRX
                    Charger : Tahmazo T15
                    Balancer : TP205
                    Battery :Thunder Power, FullRiver, Warbird

Comment

Originally posted by w_kby
                      Thanks for your very informative post.

Could you also post some photo / video of your flying experience? Where do yuo fly, maybe can drop by and have a look.

Thanks
                      hmm.. no video cam with me.
                      I'm a lone flyer for now, no one to help me take pics while it's airborne, I'm still Kinda new to R/C flying actually. Only had experience with 1:1 scale non-R/C birds and flight simulations.

anyway, I've tried skimming it on water at Little GuiLin (BtBatok/BtGombak) then the maiden flight was at the large grassy field next to Jurong East FlyOver.

I believe such craft is meant for those seasoned 3D flyers. Speed and Control is way too fast for newbies like me. Although I'm getting the hang of it already. Well.. after the mods, it can fly slow too.

Comment

Working...
                      X