Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incident reported in malaysian press.

Visit New Straits Times Online for the latest, breaking news on politics, business, sports and entertainment from Malaysia and around the world. Join us today!

Comment

Originally posted by romihensem View Post
      as a fellow hobbyist, i'm sad to hear this news. even sadder is its from our neighbouring country. although i've never flown with them brfore, i'm sure some of our members have close ties with them. i really feel for his family. is there any way someone can organize a donation collection so that we can pass to his family or ask babasmurf to pass it on our behalf? i mean any kind contribution is the most we can help his family. maybe the organizer can collect or post an account so that we can contribute.
      sorry guys, just manage to turn on pc...i will get you the details..it is already posted in the malaysia-rc forum as below:

Dengan izin semua pihak saya menawar diri utk menggunakan saluran no.acc saya utk sumbang kilat pada pihak Arwah-ini sumbangan ikhlas tiada paksaan

nama:mohd nabal mohd yusoff
      no.acc: bank maybank 1624-8701-6357

saya akan buka sumbangan ini hanya 3 hari bermula pada hari ini dan berakhir pada jam12.00 tgh hari pada hari rabu 3/3/2010

no hp:016-3234089

rgds,
      babas

Comment

hmmm

bro how to transfer? i dont have maybank account. any bro here can help? or can i use the cash deposit machine and deposit to the said account above?

romihensem " Back In Business "

Flying is all that matters...
        sigpic

Comment

DEAR ALL,

I am putting a retract on my earlier email for the intended donations. I will try to get the wife's bank account no so that there will be no questions on the authenticity of the account. Same goes for my group of fliers, we will donate accordingly when i get the account no.

Apologies for the inconvenience. Thank you to those who want to donate to the bereaved family.

rgds,
          babas

Comment

hmmm

ok keep me posted. i can do paypal transfer too if its ok cause i'm not very sure bout bank transfer to other country.

romihensem " Back In Business "

Flying is all that matters...
            sigpic

Comment

My condolences to the family of the deceased. may he rest in peace.

Inalillahi wa ina ilaihi ra ji un

Bro, when can we get the donation details?
              Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a few weeks of captivity, they can train humans to stand at the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Comment

Originally posted by chiadennis View Post
                Incident reported in malaysian press.

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/N...cle/index_html
                Thx for the link... here's the report.

Killer toy plane
                2010/03/02

By Alang Bendahara, Adrian David and Mazlinda Mahmood

KUALA LUMPUR: An electrical engineer was killed in a bizarre accident after he was struck on the head by a radio-controlled plane which had gone out of control in Bandar Saujana Putra on Sunday morning.

The China-made plane, which can travel up to 200kph, struck Mus-tapha Osman on the right side of his head, causing massive bleeding.

Mustapha, 48, slipped into a coma before succumbing to his injury at Putrajaya Hospital the same day.

A group of model plane enthusiasts, who flew their planes at the same spot, said this was the first time a fatal accident was reported although there had been cases of model aircraft causing injuries.

The radio-controlled plane enthusiasts call the spot the "Saujana Putra Airfield".

The owner of the "killer plane", a 49-year-old company director, was questioned by police and is now being investigated for causing death by negligence.

The freak accident occurred about 11am when Mustapha was preparing his plane for take-off.

He was said to be squatting on the ground when the plane struck him.

The owner of the "killer plane" was standing barely six metres away and was believed to have lost control of his Richmodel Quickie 40 RC airplane.

At the time of the incident, there were more than 20 radio-controlled aircraft enthusiasts in the area, which is next to the Elite Highway. The place is normally packed on weekends and on public holidays.

Kuala Langat police chief Superintendent Mohd Radzi Ishak said they have recorded a statement from the managing director and had confiscated his RM1,000 RC plane.

The managing director is from Petaling Jaya and was believed to have told police that because of its speed, he lost control of the plane while making a turn.

different planes fly differently at different speeds.
                different level of flying exprience also contributing factor.
                knowing yr strengths n limitations is 1 way to fly safe.

Futaba 8U Super/Spectrum DX7

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

"To be OLD & WISE, You must 1st have to be YOUNG & STUPID"

Comment

Sorry about your loss, im sure he was a budding enthusiast and a great friend.
                  This comes as quite a shock as i didnt expect it to happen so close to home. i thought only yanks at the states would do crazy stuff like this and get each other killed.

This kind of reminds me of what i did afew months back at PFW, lucky it was a foam edf and the fellow flyer dodged in time(still feel bad about it, and now feeling a hell lot worse.. he could have died)... i think for now, im going to figure out a way to reduce the speed at which i fly and note where other people are flying at... i agree with, and i quote :

different planes fly differently at different speeds.
                  different level of flying exprience also contributing factor.
                  knowing yr strengths n limitations is 1 way to fly safe.
                  Although we should be looking out for whatever aircraft is flying at or around us. we should also look out for fellow flyers at a field, maybe always having a watcher when a bunch of people are flying at once. Furthermore, we should abide by "unspoken rules" as to where we can fly nitro/EP at what location.

I heard quite some time ago, someone was carelessly flying a nitro heli just across the road from SengKang sports hub please gentlemen, do approach him if you see him again and direct him to the proper flying site. And likewise anyone similar to him.

However my thought on what size/speed/type of aircraft to be flown at whatever flying field in Singapore should be in another thread as it would get rather complicated as field size and flyers experiences come into play, for example, a EDF jet may seem fast for a beginner, but it would seem slow for a seasoned flyer in a flying field.

And how would one determine the speed at which a aircraft flies by just sight? people can be unrealistic and say " no, im flying at 68kmph!" when the limit is at 70kmph. Big planes can fly at slow speeds as well. maybe restricted airspace for casual flight and unrestricted airspace where one can hit the limits of his plane, in a safe way ofcourse.

Nicholas

Comment

HI All,
                    That brings us to the flyer that took-off at an open road, and being reported at STOMP! Bottom line is...the unexpected happens. It is up to us who engage in this pastime to be responsible, taking all relevant steps to enhance safety. The" It-will-never-happen-to-me" thinking must be erased from our minds, cos, it may happen to somebody else, as in this case. We are at the mercy of all elements, besides equipment failure, in many cases, OUR own failure. I love to joke when a plane crashes and i attribute it to "glitch" as an excuse.But deep down inside, many times, it could be OUR screw-up. Whatever the excuse is, no injury is a blessing, we survive another day, and hope not to make the same mistake, and to give the same excuse all over again....a wee bit difficult with 2.4ghz these days. WE are the pilots, We control the plane, NEVER let the plane control you.

Comment

[QUOTE=fudge2k85;454943]My condolences to the family of the deceased. may he rest in peace.

Inalillahi wa ina ilaihi ra ji un

Bro, when can we get the donation details?[/QUOTE

I called up the guys in charge...the family of the deceased will be coming back from the deceased home town in ipoh soon. We, the fliers of Suajana Airfield will hold a "tahlil" for the deceased soonest. Perhaps then I could get the necessary, if not sooner.

Thank you.

Comment

Dear All,

Kindly take note as lesson learnt from us fliers here in Malaysia.

"No warnings or rules will take effect until we ourselves learn to respect them"...

The story of the recent death has provoked many so called smart alecs from the rc community...suddenly out of the blue, comes so many advisors...so many champions of rc...this is not becoming...balming is also evident in the Malaysian forum...us so called senior members are managing it differently by not talking too much about the incident...we are trying to assist with the next steps so that both the parties involved could reach to a settlement..

i am sure that this is purely accidental..negligence, perhaps....i believe that no one that i know personally have any intentions of killing anyone...especially with an rc plane.

learn from this incident..we all play a role..never give up..if you believe that what you do is right, dont be afraid...tell them off!!

Comment

oh yes, BTW...

sometimes, unnecessary bloating the story to the media does not add value...it is more negative than positive...dont try to be a champion...you do not have the authority to represent all..

personal views are accepted, but make sure it is stated as so...dotn go around and say things without knowing ther repercussion which is damaging rc vendors and enthusiasts as a whole...it is purely individual..after all, the remote is in your hands...

babas

Comment

My deepest condolence.. Very sad indeed, as it should have been a fun outing..

IMO. This is not safe ---, where one protection will cover 2 parties, and where people can advocate, in aeromodelling, safety cannot be advocated, which will only end up with too many view through too many authority..

I've had 2 similar incident, once when a model crash directly in front of me, and the other was a high speed crash right beside me. Hence, decide it's much safer and proper to fly at official club...

Comment

Tragic and sad news indeed. My condolences to the family of the decease.

Al-fateha...

Lets us all that this as a reminder to all to fly with more safety and discipline. If the pilot was discipline enough to fly further away from everyone..im sure this incident would not happen.
                              Kedi AH !

Comment

BTW, its in The New Paper today. Go read abt it. The victim's son spoke to the press abt the victim's passion of the hobby.

Will scan a copy when possible for our Malaysian counterparts but I guess their press will carry more details than ours.

Comment

Working...
                                X