Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Count me lucky!

I was at BR today between 4-5.30pm. Before I left home, I sensed that the wind was light but decided to try anyway. Since the light wind, I brought my Bug and QF2 glider, both small and light gliders.
    When I reach the slope, I was surprise that there were nobody around. The wind was light, I rigged up my Bug and gave it a toss. The first flight lasted about 15mins. The wind was beginning to build up and gusting at times! The bug was thrown all over and I had to tape ballast around the CG on top of the wing.
    As the wind grew more and more steady, I switched to my QF2 and it floated when I released it. The wind was really gusting now and my light glider floated higher and the turns were getting faster and faster. I was a bit nervous as I had problem bringing the QF2 down, and the strong wind did not help. Finally, I got it down safely turning it into wind. The QF2 is a R/E only glider and I am not comfortable with rudder turns in the strong wind, so, I switch back to flying my Bug as it is more responsive.
    I had great fun with the strong wind blowing straight onto the slope. At about 5.30pm, I heard the first crack of thunder and I packed up immediately and walked quickly back to my car. Just 2m from the car, big droplets of rain came pouring down!! I managed to keep everything including myself, into the car without getting wet.
    With the strong wind, I will bring heavier gliders to BR in the next few days. Hopefully, no rain!

MS

Comment

I was there from around 3pm. No wind ... so I did not even take out my gliders from my car.

Should have gone a bit later .
      Too many models , so little time

Comment

wel we were their doin IOM race well it a tough course since it change and the wind took turn monsoon.well it was gd race after all.with all sailor clocking the shortest time.hehe wait 2 secs to reload the imageuntil warning sys came from boat house.
        mike

Comment

first flight for me today. was there at 4 plus, wind was very light, direction was slight off to the right. My DLG could stay up once its above the tree line and there were a few pockets of thermals here and there.

Went back again around 6 plus to join jonathan, his easyglider was flying well quite high. This time the wind was slightly better, smooth lift. We flew till the lamp lights came on and slowly make our way down. Season could be early this year, its snowing in beijing, 2 months earlier than last year.
          what's next?

Comment

I think maybe the trend now is that the wind will be sightly better towards the end of the evening maybe around 5 plus.

Comment

If I can make it, I'll bring my Super Blanik this evening.

Comment

May be is the typhoon at Philipines. I thought this year is global warming?

Comment

Count me 2nd time lucky!

Seeing that the wind is slowly beginning to blow in the correct direction, and that my lighter gliders will not be able to take the steady wind, I decided to repair my Ptero thermal glider. This is the 1.5m T-tail sailplane that I had been flying for the past 2 seasons. I made about 4 or 5 major repairs.
                  From the last season, I had a mid-air collusion that broke the left wing. In the last 2 evenings, I pieced back the broken ribs together and further strengthened it with additional fillets here and there. I then cover the broken portion with White Lightex to match the original wing color.
                  The repair added some weight to the glider.
                  I arrived at the slope at about 6pm this evening, and felt that the wind was very mild. I decided to give it a try and tossed the Ptero into the light wind. The first flight lasted about 15mins. I landed and inspected the glider for any stress or damage, there were none. I continued flying until about 6.40pm. I was alone and I can hear the occasional running steps of the joggers behind me. I like the way the Petro take into the light wind. With the ailerons, I have more positive controls and was able to fly over the tree top above the slope confidently. This is fun, hopefully, no rain tomorrow....

MS

Comment

ALERT! ALERT!

Wind 360-010 7 gusting 12..all Glider can fly!
                    Cloud, 5 octas cumulus,

Comment

Well, it was fun today on the 4th of Nov.

My first day on the slope. At 5 plus, wind seem to die down to 5 knts or below.

Quite good, enjoyed this first day.
                      "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

It was fun in the light wind yesterday. I was not alone this time. Glad to see a few familiar faces on the slope. When I reached there at about 5.15pm, Adnan was already setting up his P2 DLG glider.
                        Both of us flew our gliders for about 10mins and Dennis arrived. He flew his R/E glider for about 2mins and flew into the tree on the left. Then Dennis Chia arrived with his F3xx model. He set up quickly and flew his super glider in the light wind. My Ptero was still in the air and I heard a familiar voice...Julian arrived and flew his small glider.
                        Then, Mr Pang arrived with his wife. Immediately after I landed, I got a call from Yi Ming asking if the wind is blowing?? I told him that it was getting dark and may not be suitable for flying, anyway, he wanted to fly....
                        We had a few good flights with all our gliders and packed up at about 6.45pm. As all of us were walking down the slope, we saw Yi Ming rushing up the slope with is Cularis.

It was a fairly good day, need Yi Ming to report on his night flight.....

MS

Comment

It was a light wind yesterday. Blowing straight onto the slope but a bit light. Maiden my Alliaj (BR virgin) and manage quite a good height even in this light wind. Until this big eagle started chasing me.

Enjoyed seeing Adnan flew his DLG. He manage to easily launch his P2 over the tree top and climb well.

Comment

Got my glider in the boot, will be at slope around 6pm today if I can get off work

Comment

wind 010/5 gusting 6, very constant and plenty of sun.

Comment

Originally posted by msc View Post
                                It was fun in the light wind yesterday. I was not alone this time. Glad to see a few familiar faces on the slope. When I reached there at about 5.15pm, Adnan was already setting up his P2 DLG glider.
                                Both of us flew our gliders for about 10mins and Dennis arrived. He flew his R/E glider for about 2mins and flew into the tree on the left. Then Dennis Chia arrived with his F3xx model. He set up quickly and flew his super glider in the light wind. My Ptero was still in the air and I heard a familiar voice...Julian arrived and flew his small glider.
                                Then, Mr Pang arrived with his wife. Immediately after I landed, I got a call from Yi Ming asking if the wind is blowing?? I told him that it was getting dark and may not be suitable for flying, anyway, he wanted to fly....
                                We had a few good flights with all our gliders and packed up at about 6.45pm. As all of us were walking down the slope, we saw Yi Ming rushing up the slope with is Cularis.

It was a fairly good day, need Yi Ming to report on his night flight.....

MS
                                went up eat COLD wind i will not doing the same mistake agian im sure
                                [SIGPIC][SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="Red"]DagoRed Rs131MPH[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                                X