Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake scare !!

I almost stepped on a snake while jogging along Jurong lake the other day
    It was lying there on the path like a black water hose. When my foot landed about 1m from it, it sprang up holding its head up like a cobra. Does any one know if a black snake with this diamond-shape head venomous or not ???

BTW, where should I report this ? AVA, NPB or .... ? Or was it not a big deal at all ?

Originally posted by ptylaws
    It was lying there on the path like a black water hose. When my foot landed about 1m from it, it sprang up holding its head up like a cobra. Does any one know if a black snake with this diamond-shape head venomous or not ???

BTW, where should I report this ? AVA, NPB or .... ? Or was it not a big deal at all ?
    bro dont scare me leh... tampines bike track also got snakes.... heard and even saw it a few times! its green in colour.. about 60-100cm long...

im scared of snakes

Which character are you test by

Comment

Originally posted by ptylaws

Cobra is very common in SGP.
      JCho

Comment

well dont worry tampines bike pk in the aftnoon i see alot of worker go there eat snake under the shade. when the boss cum . all snake eater gone into hiding ha ha ha
        mike

Comment

becareful not to stand or sit too close to the pavilion (the small portion that's facing the runway).

we had once dragged a dead 1-2 metre snake from the hole just above the ground in that section.

think it might have been poisoned......

Anyway...it's been quite while since that incident...wonder if any other reptile(s) had taken up residence there....

Comment

Originally posted by tampines flyer
            well dont worry tampines bike pk in the aftnoon i see alot of worker go there eat snake under the shade. when the boss cum . all snake eater gone into hiding ha ha ha
            lol!

hmm... not to make things worse but i thought that a black in colour paint scheme's to warn others that it is poisonous?
            -* Project Swift *-

Comment

I was at BBAFC today....saw many snakes also....
              TREX 500 ESP
              Futaba T12FGH

Comment

aiy.... sorri art i forgot bout it..
                poor rappy eating snake at home... have to pia fyp project during weekdays le.. just started this week
                -* Project Swift *-

Comment

Halo Bros,

I once saw a similar snake while jogging along Portsdown Road near Temasek club. Didn't notice it until I heard the hissing sound. On another occasion during reservist training at Slim Barracks ( same location as above ), my buddy saw a black cobra rear up it's head in his bunk. He ran like the wind.

Generally, cobras are quite common here and nest in wooded areas just like our flying fields. Be careful and take precaution when looking for planes in bush areas.

One of our flyers got stung by hornets in Yishun couple of years ago.. Another friend was hospitalised after she was stung by a hornet at Raffles Marina 2 weeks back.

Nature fights back. Got chased by a pack of dogs near Punggol flying field last year while jogging. Many years ago, lost my wellington boots in Bukit Batok field while looking for my plane. They got stuck in mud that came up to my thighs. Walked back barefoot. Had to buy a replacement pair for the then president of BBFC as the boots were his.

Ask for help from buddies if there is a situation. Don't fly alone. Had to sent one member of my club PPFC when he cut his finger on a prop. 12 stiches. Got photo but too gory to put here. Lost a friend in Sarawak when the plane struck his head. He bled to death. We are not flying toys. TAKE EXTRA CARE.

Electric flyers take note. The motor gets bigger nowadays. The prop also bigger. On a nitro/gas engine, the motor stops when it strikes something. Electric motors don't stop. They carry on until disconnected or turned off. They can give you mutiple cuts.

Happy flying and jogging. Be safe not sorry.

Barefoot doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Art
                    I was at BBAFC today....saw many snakes also....

lol...what sort of snakes??... big snakes??..
                    Heli
                    * OS46- ... and doing simple figure 8 and nose in... want to venture to loops...
                    Thanks to all old birds from Daddyhobby
                    Car
                    *Hyper 8 RTR
                    Tank
                    *HenLong M1A1
                    Mini Monster Truck

Comment

black looking snake could be a juvenile cobra ( spitting variety) ..just don't go down for a closer look

All snakes are more afraid of you then you are of them ( I know that this is hard to believe) they will not attack unless they have no option.

Just move out of the way and let her pass she will continue on her own way.
                      Please don't kill snakes they are an important part of the ecosystem as it is Singapore does not have enough of them due to urbanisation.

I was once in the Bukit Timah reserve doing a photo shoot for biology with some of my kids.. we were under some ferns and only about 20cm from the kids head was a vine snake ( mildly poisonous ...like a bee sting) but it was just happy to sit and watch. I told the kids of the snake when we moved out of the area and they all wanted to go back and have a look. The vine snake would have to be one of the most beautiful snakes in the world.

Comment

I have many encounters wif snakes!!!

Saw a cobra swallowing a frog at Pasir Ris abt 20yrs back!!!

Killed a python with rocks at a canal.

Cycled on to a snake.

Played with a baby snake at one of the army camp.

Spotted a beautiful green tree snake at sentosa.

And lastly, married a snake!!! Which is my wife lah!!! She born in the year of the snake!!!

Comment

diamond shaped head? venomous... you are soooo lucky it reared up its head or you would probably have been bitten.... tele is probably right about it being a juvenile cobra.its a characteristic cobra move
                          8UHP
                          Easyglider stock setup(DECOMMED) (new one coming soon)
                          World Models 'Voodoo' mustang

Comment

Thanks all for the information. It learned more here than from AVA website. Sounds like that's a close shave !! Next time I jog there I'll be more careful.

Comment

the rule of thumb is

if its black and lies across the track and doesn't move ....its a stick
                              If its black and lies across the track and moves ...its a snake

Live and let live.

I had a nice reticulated python that I had in my class room..fed it on birds..the kids loved it. but it got too big so we gave it to the zoo and they released it at Mac Richie res

Comment

Working...
                              X