Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Sunflowers - Grown From Seeds

Hi all
    Would like to show u all my sunflowers that I grown from seeds. Two sunflowers. One is reaching ceiling height and the other is not that tall.

Here are the pictures. Hope u like it.

Last edited by Super-Hornet; 11-02-2014, 03:37 PM. Reason: Fixed the links

The first one should be single head sunflower. The 2nd one should be multihead type. Below shows the 2 smaller flower bud that are not bloom yet.

Comment

Very nice.nim looking for something to grow in my garden too. What conditions do they grow best? Indoor outdoor shade etc etc what and where did you buy the seeds? How long did they start to sprout and bloom?

Comment

If I not wrong, sunflower grow best in the garden with plenty of sunlight. It need deep soil for the root to grow deep into the ground. Without deep soil, the flower will bloom in much smaller diameter. Unless u are talking about dwaff/elf sunflowers. Those, u can plant on pot because they are shorter.

Normally it takes around 2months for the sunflower to bloom. I recently planted a few seeds recently and now have 5 new pot of sunflower that is growing. This time, I tagged them with the date I start planting it. In that way, I can tell how old are them. Will let u know once it start bloom.

I can only grow them in my living room, near the windows. This is because I do not have any garden to plant them...beside.. having them in the living and I can enjoy them anytime.

My first few attempts were failure and they die off after like 1 or 2 weeks. This is due to not enough sunlight. This time, I install lights on top of them and they grow pretter well.

I also have some miniature roses beside those sunflowers as well

Oh.. as for the seeds, u can get it in a paper packing sold in supermarket or homefix or nursery. Horti and Yates are the 2 brand that u should be able to find in Singapore. For mine, I got the seeds from bird food like those for parrots or cockatoos

Comment

Thanks for sharing Super Honet. Sunflower is one of my favorite flower too, followed by cactus being second. It really cheers one up when one sees it. Follows the sun's movement as well and that's amazing! Like to add some interesting facts on this flower if you don't mind...

Comment

Thanks Super Hornet for sharing. Great to have some off topic apart from RC hahha. Amazing that u grew them off the seeds meant for the birds. I do not have a garden too more of a balcony urban garden, but have fairly large pots. I think the size u achieved is pretty good for my space. I do have very strong sunlight facing though. I will try growing them. I never knew they can be grown here as I thought our conditions are not ideal

Comment

BTW, when u start the seed germination, around 2 days time, u should be able to see a root growing out from the seed. Some of the take slightly longer than 2 days. If around 1week no responding, that mean that seed is "dead".
              You can plant the seed in the soil to start the seed germination...but for me, I prefer to put it on wet cotton bud and covered it with wet cotton bud instead.

Here is the picture showing 5 pot that is growing pretty well since plant a few days ago.

Here is the picture showing the seed start to sprout.

Comment

Thanks again!

Comment

What soil do you buy to put in the pot? Anything special or any special fertilizer?

Comment

Will let u know what soil I use tonite...will take photo of it.
                    As for fertiliser, I use Yates liquid fertiliser for fruits and roses. Again, will try to take photo tonite. I use the fertiliser for my sunflowers, miniature roses, tulips and carrot.

Comment

Yesterday wind was strong that the light source (IKEA) topple down and it bring down the makeshift rack down, bringing all 5 young sunflower to the floor and injuring (stems) 2 of the young sunflower (the 5 small pots that shown above). Hope it can survive. If not, can always start all over again.

Anyway, here is the picture of the soil I normally use.

Comment

Sunflower

Hi bro, I happen to be growing sunflower in my office. Not sure how it will thrive in office environment.

Now only in sprouting stage.

Comment

Sunflower in office

Here is a photo of it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140213_112843.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	977893

Comment

ops sorry, picture too big. Admin can help to delete?

Mod: Picture resized to 800x600.

Comment

Yours look like black colored seed... that is called black oil sunflower I think. I too wanted to plant it in the office but worried people might complain or don't like it.

The above picture shows another sunflower seed that very common..which is the black and white stripes.

Recently I try another one which is white color seed. It looks like safflower seed also but I think it should be sunflower seed. Lets see how does it look like whenit grow up.

Here is the seed starting to grow root after 2 days of seed germination

Comment

Working...
                              X