Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

com problem, help

yoZ,
    any of you guys who have skillz in computer related stuff, please help.

i gotta Abit Nf7 (non-sata, non-M) mobo, and a Sapphire Ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb graphic card. they dun run together.
    both are in working order, the graphics card ran on my fren's pc and my mobo ran with my hercules gforce 3 ti. when both nf7 and ati are together, powers up, but no beep of any sort, blank screen. all fans are running as they should, as well as graphic card's. i tried up dating bios and setting data rate to 4X as suggested by one of you here (forgot the nickname, paiseh )
    but it didn't work.

any other solutions?

thanks dudez
    JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
    Futaba S3154 Tail
    Scorpion 2221-8
    JETI Spin 44A
    JR RS 77
    Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
    Thunder Power TP2070-3SX

A Bottle Of Guts, Neat.

have u try to to clear the cmos data?

can your ram work? in single or dual ddr?

is your PSU power sufficient to power up the card?
    Newer graphic needs a lot of power as old PSU cannot supply that kinda of power to your card.Ati recommand that your PSU must be at lease 300watt and above to boot the card up.

have you just setup your system and swap and test the graphic card only?

I suspect that nvidia chipset won`t work with ATi chips as both are competitor in graphic market.

If your still unable to find out whats went wrong. Please list all your hard ware brand and configuration. I will try to help.

Comment

my toys:
      Abit NF7 mobo (non S non M)
      Sapphire ATI Radeon 9800 128mb (Hercules nVidia Geforce 3 titanium)
      creative Sound blaster live
      WD 80gig HDD
      Quantum Fireball 20gig HDD
      Sony DVD and CD-writer (seperate)
      AMD athlon 2500 (barton)
      385watt PSU certified

erm, i am a little unsure about my ram. should be DDR coz i dun remember getting an RD ram. 512 kingston, single piece.

yes i have cleared cmos data, after flashing, of which at the award bios screen there will be a line regard cmos checksum error thingy which will go away after you get into bios and save the settings (whether you change any or not) rite?

what do you mean by setting up my system and swap and test the graphic card only?
      i swap my herc and my ati a few times and only the herc can work. i have a friend who used my ati and had a great time with it. both workz seperately.

your theory is commonly suggested, but it is also said that it is counter-productive as there will be probablity that people decide NOT to by nVidia related mobo just to fit to Ati cards, thus they might not attempt such a conspiracy.

in hardware zone some people DO have success with my combo.

dunno leh.

someone suggested checking the molex/moflex. what is molex/moflex? the 4 pin plug?

sorry arr i am noobz

my harwarezone thread.

thanks dude
      Last edited by glenn cain; 17-06-2004, 09:55 PM.
      JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
      Futaba S3154 Tail
      Scorpion 2221-8
      JETI Spin 44A
      JR RS 77
      Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
      Thunder Power TP2070-3SX

A Bottle Of Guts, Neat.

Comment

Hi glenn cain

What 9800 do u have? Do it require a Floppy Disk power connector to it? (Pro required but SE do not require)

If yours is ATI 9800 Pro, (That is with power connector), have u tried connecting another floppy power connector?

Those ATI card that require power connector WILL NOT Power up (Blank screen) if u do not connect. In nVidia card, without power will not have your nVidia card running at max performance.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Hi glenn cain

What 9800 do u have? Do it require a Floppy Disk power connector to it? (Pro required but SE do not require)

If yours is ATI 9800 Pro, (That is with power connector), have u tried connecting another floppy power connector?

Those ATI card that require power connector WILL NOT Power up (Blank screen) if u do not connect. In nVidia card, without power will not have your nVidia card running at max performance.

Super-Hornet

yo super hornet,

yup ati 9800 pro. it has a 4 pin power slot that fits those from a PSU. therefore i am not sure about the floppy thingy that you mentioned.

thats is unless all along i did not fit the psu connection to the card well enough. but the card fan is running!!??
          JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
          Futaba S3154 Tail
          Scorpion 2221-8
          JETI Spin 44A
          JR RS 77
          Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
          Thunder Power TP2070-3SX

A Bottle Of Guts, Neat.

Comment

Hi glenn

So it is ATi 9800 Pro. OK.. u need to supply power to it. The connector is the same as those Floppy Disk Drive power connector. The ATi Cooling fan power is tap from AGP slot (If i'm not wrong).

Since 9500 Pro and above, it require more power (Current) to power the ATi Chip. AGP slot itself cannot supply that current for it to work.

Try different power connector (Your PSU should have more than 1 floppy power cable)

Super-Hornet

Comment

my ati does not use floppy supply. flop supply is 4 pin small
              ati uses same plugs as HDD and ROM drives: 4 pin large

confirm is not PSU problem: all plugs working
              confirm not connection problem: plug head is damn tight and all the way into the card socket

scanned every inche of the card. there is no socket to accomodate floppy power sup

i think i know where the problem lies:

its made in china

k no racism intended, just an old joke.

i also tested for wattage. all my ROMS and non vital hardware were taken of the PSU feed. the same problem.
              JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
              Futaba S3154 Tail
              Scorpion 2221-8
              JETI Spin 44A
              JR RS 77
              Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
              Thunder Power TP2070-3SX

A Bottle Of Guts, Neat.

Comment

sorry was away last few days. What i can see right now is there are some conflicts in your system. Probably the video card itself with the motherboard or other devices. May be you can try with just the graphic card and the mobo only, take out all others component like sound card etc. Clear away your cmos before booting up.

If the problem persist , the only chance will be asking the saler to test for u and see if the or the mobo got problem. They should RMA for u if both your mobo and graphic card is new and still under warranty from them.

Usually if a component has problem in a system, the mobo just won`t boot while other system like fan with be working.

BTW the molex they talking about is the connector u mention. It was make by a company call molex hence people call it molex connector.
                Rma means the seller shall repair your components without charges if its is found faulty while in warranty period.

Sorry thats all i can help.

Comment

ah i see. hardwarezoners all asking me to rma.
                  yes i have disconnected all non-neccessary hardware with a cleared cmos. just did not work. some folks say convergent. where is that?
                  what do i have to bring there? all reciept? hehe never done this sorta thing before~~
                  JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
                  Futaba S3154 Tail
                  Scorpion 2221-8
                  JETI Spin 44A
                  JR RS 77
                  Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
                  Thunder Power TP2070-3SX

A Bottle Of Guts, Neat.

Comment

yes! your receipt, warranty card and the defective component :-
                    mobo and graphic card. Convergent wise not sure...suggest u search the map at www.can.com.sg.

Comment

its actually a shop in sim lim i think but i dunno where
                      haha
                      JR PCM 9XII

BEAM E4

HS65 Cyclic
                      Futaba S3154 Tail
                      Scorpion 2221-8
                      JETI Spin 44A
                      JR RS 77
                      Logictech 2100 TL Gyro
                      Thunder Power TP2070-3SX