Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

open net fibre optics

Hi, does anyone know what is this thing and is it important for day to day living?

Will the current starhub tv box connection and singtel telephone line be phase out due to this thing?

Is it alright to NOT install it?

sigpic

I see that you are staying near Bukit panjang same here. If i'm not wrong the installation is going to your hosue soon. This service is important as next time internet can be serve through there. It is faster than starhub, singtel and M1 as it is running on fiber. Next time free to air tv channels might be also be stream through the fiber hopefully in HD. The internet plans by starhub, singtel and M1 will still be the same but they will also offer this internet.
    Got twitter? Follow me on
    Facebook?
    Email @

Comment

Installation is free.. Just grab first then see how lor.. if worry about upsetting the home decor, then get them to install it just at the point of entry inside the house.. It's a very small box anyway, and installation is not messy at all.. Mine already wired..

Is it important?.. Actually, yes and no lah.. Depending on where you're coming from..

OpenNet is a government initiative to wire our entire island with fiber optic line, which is capable of very high speed data transfer rate, and how the service is delivered is through retailers. ie, Singtel purchase the bandwidth at whole-sale and use that to deliver "Mio TV"?? and or as well as resell it to other smaller retailers and end users etc.. but what we will get is what we pay for, and service level will also depends on who we subscribe to.. actually, end up to be the same lah.. Just that, lower cost to the business, as there's one network for all, and one setup box for access to whichever subscriber subscribe to, but this time.. the government owns the network instate..

Quality of service will be much better then current singtel copper lines, but can't say the same for starhub as they're already delivering data through fiber optics to most locations..

arrangement may change on the fly btw..

One nation, one Singapore, One Network

Comment

Singtel : Fibre Optic service provider ?

when I asked the vendor who installed the fibre optic box who is the service provider behind this network and what kind of service package will we aspect, even though the main contractor is OpenNet,
        the contractor just kept silence.

but I must say the black box that crims the fibre optic cable joins together is damn hi-tech. it has an optic LCD and measurements reading to tell the status of the joints.

however, there's a little sticker contained in the box which the contractor threw away....wahla!

Currently Starhub cable is stable. and recently SingTel's MIO TV kanna slammed with the "VCD" quality for world cup streaming....
        sounds interesting

anyway, when we initially received the letter from OpenNet, not many responded as either most are unsure about the new network or services behind, contractor also say the calls to arrange installation is very slow.

its only at later part then more marketing awareness kicked in at TV and papers....anyway...lets observe and see.

Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Will think about it for a few more days.

Yeah, my only concern is it will make my home ugly and have to repaint, coz my entry point itself is hidden within the fake ceiling.

sigpic

Comment

In fact for me, I can live without newpapers and TV but not my PC and internet connection. I think the world is moving towards this direction... so, better get connected.

Some colleague was telling me future BB will be $15 flat rate thru fibre and much faster of course. Not sure if true.
            Traxxas Rustler, Tamiya Wild Willy 2... So many toys, so little time

Comment

wa so cheap to believe it.

as Singapore like to compare thing that is cheaper to other countries so that they got reason to increase :
              eg.
              1) parking in Shenton way is cheaper then UK, Japan, Korea, Australia ........
              2) CBD rate is cheaper then UK .........
              3) internet connection is faster and cheaper then UK,........Japan........
              4) .........
              5) ........
              6) Housing is cheaper than HongKong, japan , Korea, UK, USA.........
              so they have lots of room to increase to get money from poor fellow Singaporean.
              JR9XII PCM 72.xxx n XPS n FRSKY 2.4GHz

me is " Kancheong spider "

Comment

Working...
              X