Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's walk-in interview experience

Spent the whole of yesterday preparing for a very important walk-in interview that was held today.

This morning, after all my documents were reviewed, I was told to stay in the candidate holding area to wait for my interview. Just before my name was called, a staff came in and told me “I’m so sorry but we do not recognize your degree as it is NOT FROM A LOCAL UNIVERSITY”.

On their corporate website, there was no mention of the need for a degree to be from a “LOCAL” university - see enclosed.

To top it all off, I was charged 8 bucks for parking at the venue for barely 2 hours!

Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

??

where did u graduated?

Comment

haha thats them for you. when i finish i don't think i'll be joining them. got some other lobang. on the other hand, why didn't you show your diploma/ a levels?
      JR 9x
      Raptor 50 SE
      Raptor 90 3D
      Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
      Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
      Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

Originally posted by pixeldixel View Post
        Spent the whole of yesterday preparing for a very important walk-in interview that was held today.

On their corporate website, there was no mention of the need for a degree to be from a “LOCAL” university - see enclosed.
        This one is crap. I'm sure if you were from Cambridge or Stanford they would not even bother.
        "Always fly with a responsible attitude. You may think that flying low over other people’s heads is proof of your piloting skill; others know better. The real expert does not need to prove himself in such childish ways..." - the Multiplex Build Manual

Comment

Originally posted by e36coupe View Post
          where did u graduated?
          from the university at buffalo (SUNY)
          Irony = displaying enough parking coupons on your dashboard but getting fined for littering when you throw the stubs on the floor

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon Chng View Post
            haha thats them for you. when i finish i don't think i'll be joining them. got some other lobang. on the other hand, why didn't you show your diploma/ a levels?
            cuz i took my diploma in informatics and i did not go to JC. after my dip, i went for my degree. Just freaking hate it when people condemn me before i can even proove myself in the interview!

may i ask what are you finishing and what other "lobang" do u have? you may pm me.

Thanks

Comment

Well, dont get angry as you are the only one who will end up on the "losing end".

Suggest this :
              1. Go to MOE website :

Check that your university is listed there. From what i saw, it should be.

2. Gently inform your interviewer that your university is recognise by MOE and you can provide them the details/link.

3. From their point of view, at the end of the day, honestly, the degree is a paper qualification which is not a "necessary skill set" for your role as pilot. It may just give you a higher starting pay of a few hundred bucks but from their point of view, it is still a ground zero "recurit" with the willingness to learn and adapt that they want. If you really want that job, you have to be that person that thy want. Remember, high EQ will bring you further than high IQ.

Comment

Originally posted by chessgame View Post
                Well, dont get angry as you are the only one who will end up on the "losing end".

Suggest this :
                1. Go to MOE website :

2. Gently inform your interviewer that your university is recognise by MOE and you can provide them the details/link.

3. From their point of view, at the end of the day, honestly, the degree is a paper qualification which is not a "necessary skill set" for your role as pilot. It may just give you a higher starting pay of a few hundred bucks but from their point of view, it is still a ground zero "recurit" with the willingness to learn and adapt that they want. If you really want that job, you have to be that person that thy want. Remember, high EQ will bring you further than high IQ.
                Thanks a lot for the link. I dont really care how much they pay me. I really do have the willingness to learn and i would even fly for food if they just give me that chance. totally agree with your last sentence.

Cheers!

Comment

IMO.. Put yourself in the interviewer shoe. Out of the hundreds?? candidates. How do one determine that a person have got what it takes to be a pilot?? These people are not super humans that can read minds.. Hence, have got to depend on paper qualifications to short list suitable candidate.

I really don't know how these things works. But in-case if you feel you've been short changed? or think you really have got what it takes, why not find out who you can write an appeal to? Then convince your way through.. But for sure.. Never never tell them you're willing to fly for food only.. But again.. Being passionate is one thing. How you can convince people that you can put your passion to practical use is a big challenge..

That said. There are many other aviation career you can consider. Just have to be able to move forward when reality strike..

Comment

Originally posted by chessgame View Post

Suggest this :
                    1. Go to MOE website :

Hi chessgame, the link you provided on shows a list of External Degree Programmes registered with MOE. Not recognized.

On the same page, the following is mentioned:

Recognition and/or acceptance of qualification/certification is entirely at the discretion of the individual prospective employer.

pixeldixel might want to note this before banging any tables.

Good luck!
                    Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by protyne View Post
                      Hi chessgame, the link you provided on shows a list of External Degree Programmes registered with MOE. Not recognized.

On the same page, the following is mentioned:

Recognition and/or acceptance of qualification/certification is entirely at the discretion of the individual prospective employer.

pixeldixel might want to note this before banging any tables.

Good luck!
                      Already read and understood that part. Thanks for pointing it out though.

Comment

Just checking, where is the venue of interview??? 8 bucks for 2 hrs is expensive.

The last time I went for an interview wif SIA for pilot position which is in 2002, the venue was at SIA Training Centre, off Upper Changi Road East. Free parking + free looking at all the trainee cabin crew at the cafeteria.

I flung the interview, cause I wasnt interested in planes then when the interviewers(one ex-pilot n one senior cabin crew) asked me a few airplane and SIA questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli View Post
                          Just checking, where is the venue of interview??? 8 bucks for 2 hrs is expensive.

The last time I went for an interview wif SIA for pilot position which is in 2002, the venue was at SIA Training Centre, off Upper Changi Road East. Free parking + free looking at all the trainee cabin crew at the cafeteria.

I flung the interview, cause I wasnt interested in planes then when the interviewers(one ex-pilot n one senior cabin crew) asked me a few airplane and SIA questions.
                          It was at sheraton towers.

Comment

Hey Pixel,
                            do not give up i know a friend who went through the first interview 6 times before he was accepted.. thats determination!
                            you can apply and go through the first round of interviews as many times as you can handle and they will entertain you.. but if you bust the final interview then your chances are over..
                            it's also not a good time to be looking for a flying job at the moment as the airline industry was one of the worst hit during the crisis.. as a result there is still an excess of crew with little pick up in the number of flights..
                            you should keep your keen interest in aviation and apply again when the next advertisement pops up.. do not take things personally or feel that (they) are against you or your qualifications, it's just a simple supply/demand issue..
                            all the best of luck next time..

Comment

Originally posted by pixeldixel View Post
                              Already read and understood that part. Thanks for pointing it out though.
                              Bro., just share my experience, many many years back......... they only recon. govt. Dip, and govt Uni cert. Even you can produce these cert. they still want to see your 'O' level results. If you have all and good results in your 'O' level. Make sure your Dip. and Deg. cert. is related to technical subject.......if not, don't waste your time. Try cabin crew, they are having a recuritment now.....

Comment

Working...
                              X