Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Clarification on mods

Hi guys i need some clarification on illegal mods.

Lets say i'm driving a Vios now and i got fine $500 for 1st time illegal exhaust.

Then 1 - 2 years later i change to a Lancer. And once again i got caught for illegal exhaust.

So isit consider 1st time offend or 2nd time offend ??

Because drunk driving it follows the driver. What about illegal mod, does it follow the driver or the car ???

Thanks
    [B]Kenny[/B]

Goblin 700 | Goblin 500 | Compass 6HV

Unthinkable, unimaginable, incredible, beyond conception and beyond the bounds of possibility!

Originally posted by sookainian View Post
    Hi guys i need some clarification on illegal mods.

Lets say i'm driving a Vios now and i got fine $500 for 1st time illegal exhaust.

Then 1 - 2 years later i change to a Lancer. And once again i got caught for illegal exhaust.

So isit consider 1st time offend or 2nd time offend ??

Because drunk driving it follows the driver. What about illegal mod, does it follow the driver or the car ???

Thanks
    Kenny,

it is always tagged to the owner for mods. The answer to your question is yes, it is considered second time.
    Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by edmond22 View Post
      Kenny,

it is always tagged to the owner for mods. The answer to your question is yes, it is considered second time.
      Where can i get more info on this ??

Because i also did ask around before posting. Some say follow the car. Some say follow the driver. Hmm
      [B]Kenny[/B]

Unthinkable, unimaginable, incredible, beyond conception and beyond the bounds of possibility!

Comment

Because i also did ask around before posting. Some say follow the car. Some say follow the driver. Hmm
        The car and owner will be recorded. I dun know what you mean follow car or driver. For illegal car mods, the car gets referred to LTA (recorded against the car), the owner also gets into trouble (recorded against the owner).

See http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring...26-150974.html

Hundreds caught with illegal plates

[top: A 7 series BMW that spotted the Land Transport Authority's (LTA) disapproved Euro car plates at Bencoolen Street. More car owners are using Euro car plates which are considered illegal as their font size and colour do not conform to the LTA's vehicle licence plate requirements.]

By DARYLL NANAYAKARA

THEY are bright, stylish - and illegal.

And they are hot, so much so that some car owners are willing to risk a jail term of up to three months just so they could have number plates that look good even though they do not conform with Land Transport Authority (LTA) stipulations, such as European Union-style ones.

The LTA told my paper that 726 drivers were caught in the first four months this year for such offences. For the whole of last year, only 2,039 were caught.

Car workshops told my paper that such licence plates are still flying off the shelves despite the severe penalty.

On the average, the workshops said they each receive between 35 and 50 requests per month from drivers wanting to switch to the illegal licence plates - which can cost between $40 and $65 each, depending on the size and design.

Mr S. L. Teo, 32, from Autozone Motoring, said: "There will always be a demand for the nicer ones that are illegal.

"The approved ones have too many restrictions in terms of how they should look and how big they should be."

Another workshop operator, Deck Carcraft's Jackson Kang, 27, said: "Customers are willing to take the risk even after we tell them the plates are not approved ones.

"To them, how their car looks is more important."

Another reason smaller plates appeal to drivers is to avoid detection by the authorities.

Illegal plates that use reflective fonts and contain ornamental marks alongside the vehicle's registration number may make it difficult to read the car's licence number when the vehicle is moving, for example, when it is involved in a hit-and-run accident.

A staff member of a workshop, who declined to be named, said: "The majority of the drivers come with heavily modified cars they use in illegal races and the smaller the plates, the harder it would be for the Traffic Police to read them."

According to LTA guidelines on the One.Motoring website, approved licence plates should have letters and figures that are 70mm high, 50mm wide and 10mm broad.

However, illegal plates usually have fonts that are between 10mm and 15mm smaller than stipulated by the LTA.

A spokesman for LTA said drivers caught with plates that do not conform to requirements face a fine of up to $1,000 or a jail term of up to three months.

In addition, the drivers would have to have the defective plates made good within seven days or risk facing a maximum fine of $2,000 or six months' jail - the penalty for repeat offenders.

darylldj@sph.com.sg
        You may want to see http://www.onemotoring.com.sg/publis...ion_guide.html
        Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Definately LTA will go for the owner lah. Like that those rich man son with 3 - 10 cars can keep modding their ride with 10 chances ah???

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli View Post

Definately LTA will go for the owner lah. Like that those rich man son with 3 - 10 cars can keep modding their ride with 10 chances ah???
            Might not be the case... Donkey years ago, was caught using performance exhaust on my then 400cc or 600cc sportbike and was fined $500.... And couple of years later, was again caught using race exhaust on my 1000cc bike along SLE and was fined $500...

I probably contributed a few lamposts on the road with the $1000 I paid them
            Thunder Tiger 50 Titan SE
            YS 56SR wif Hatori muffler
            Align DS610 for cyclics
            JR770T + JR8900G
            JR DSX9

Mikado Logo 400SE
            Savox BSM 1650KV + CC85HV
            MKS9660 for cyclics
            Mini Vbar 5.2 Pro + BLS251
            JR DSX9

Comment

I dun understand 'follow the car' ...whenever LTA issues a fine, it is to the DRIVER, they have never issued a fine to a CAR (Car can't pay !)
              That's why if the 'car' is caught speeding (by Cameras), they will issue a Request for driver's particulars.

On to your questions, it is whoever is caught driving the car with the illegal exhuast that will face the music, owner will get a notice to replace the illegal part.
              Take for example you mod your car to the hilt, then you sell it off and the new owner kenna caught ! ...will you get the fine or the new owner ?

Of course the new owner but he will swear that he didn't know there was anything illegal about the car and blame everything on you ...will that hold up in the courts ?

Moral of all this: You can mod your car all you want, but just dun get caught driving it !
              Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostfit View Post
                I dun understand 'follow the car' ...whenever LTA issues a fine, it is to the DRIVER, they have never issued a fine to a CAR (Car can't pay !)
                That's why if the 'car' is caught speeding (by Cameras), they will issue a Request for driver's particulars.

On to your questions, it is whoever is caught driving the car with the illegal exhuast that will face the music, owner will get a notice to replace the illegal part.
                Take for example you mod your car to the hilt, then you sell it off and the new owner kenna caught ! ...will you get the fine or the new owner ?

Of course the new owner but he will swear that he didn't know there was anything illegal about the car and blame everything on you ...will that hold up in the courts ?

Moral of all this: You can mod your car all you want, but just dun get caught driving it !
                What i mean is like. Ok lets say

I'm driving a Vios now and i got caught for illegal exhaust and paid $500 (1st time). But i didn't care so i continue using it. And got caught 2nd time and the fine is heavier now. So i got to pay $750.

What if...

I'm driving a Vios now and i got caught for illegal exhaust and paid $500 (1st time). Then 2 years later i sold the Vios and bought a brand new Lancer and i got caught for illegal exhaust 1st time on the Lancer. So will my fine be $500 or $750 ??

Hmm

Because i know example for drunk driving. If you got caught 1st time. No matter what car you change or 10 years down to road you change 10 different car and once again you got caught for drunk driving. The fine will still be heavier.

What about illegal exhaust ??
                [B]Kenny[/B]

Comment

The best person to ask is :

For further advice and clarification on specific vehicle modification, vehicle owners can write in to the Vehicle Engineering (VE) Department of LTA at 10 Sin Ming Drive, Singapore 575701. Alternatively, contact the Department at 1800-CALL LTA (1800-2255 582) for further assistance on vehicle modifications.

Call now!!! Immediate answer. If u dont dare to call, let me know, I'll call up and ask.

Comment

Oh ya, ask for the name of the person you speaking to and his position.

Then ask if he is willing to put in writing what he/she had said to you in an email. Black and white proof.

Very simple.

Comment

All things leads back to the owner.. but car is also involve.. But not relevant lar.. and really not important how much you have to pay lar.. Anyway, some performance modification already cost 100 times more then the fines liao.. I think you're better off finding out if they will put the repeat offender in jail or not..

Morale of the storey.... Since it's a known "Illegal" modification.. then got to expect the worse. Otherwise. Stay legal.. and don't be afraid..

Comment

Kenny,

I just called up LTA on ur behalf. I spoke to customer service officer Siew Kee. For ur case, it will be considered as a repeated offence as LTA will fine the vehicle owner not the vehicle.

As long as your name appears as the vehicle owner for both vehicles, it will be a repeated offence. Ur name will be recorded once an offence is committed, everything from ERP fines to bus lane fines, etc....

That was what Siew Kee told me.

Sorry for not PM u, just wana let the rest of the guys know also.

Comment

What i mean is like. Ok lets say

I'm driving a Vios now and i got caught for illegal exhaust and paid $500 (1st time). But i didn't care so i continue using it. And got caught 2nd time and the fine is heavier now. So i got to pay $750.

What if...
                          It doesn't matter which car, as long as you got caught driving it with illegal mods, it counts towards your total offences commited.

I got one for you:

Lets say you borrowed your friend's Evo for a spin and sway, sway ..kenna spot check, the car got pulled in for inspection and was found with illegal exhuast, ecu, and 10 other infringements ...who gets the fine ? ...your friend or you ?

It is NOT an offence to mod your car however you like but it IS an offence to drive it on the public roads with non LTA approved mods.
                          Seriously running out of ...Storage space !

Comment

Haha.
                            Kenny

I got booked many years back for driving my friend's car with the fog lights on. I have no idea that it was even on. I told the TP that it was my friend's car and he's out of town and had loan me the car.

The TP didn't buy my excuse of didn't know the fog lights was on as I could see the yellow lights in front my me.

Anyway I was booked for $50 (I think?) and my friend was given a summon to have his car inspected at VICOM. He had the fog light remove before going for the inspection and paid $60 as the inspection fee. Pass without any problem. Any he reimburse me the fine.

Comment

Uncle Kenny, you go test the water and you will know. I second Edmund's view.

Whiplashing soon?

Crash records counter
                              JR Vibe 50: 01
                              Trex600N Pro: 01
                              Kasama Srimok 90: 01
                              TT Raptor 50: 10
                              TT Raptor 90 3D: 01
                              MA Fury 55: 01

(Latest Crash Dated 29 April 2012) Total: 15

sigpic

Comment

Working...