Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hobby Store Opening Hours

Hi guys,

This is abit of a rant so do pardon me if you dont agree with me.

I find it rather strange that most of the heli hobby stores in Singapore choose to operate during regular work/office hours.

I am not sure about the rest of you, but as a working person, it is rather difficult for me to rush down to a Hobby store during office hours. And by the time i finish work, the Hobby Stores are usually just begining to pull down their shutters.

As a retail store, i would imagine that it is only logical for the stores to cater to their customers, which would suggest extending opening hours to match that of retail shopping mails. Hell, even opening till 8pm could be very beneficial.

I dont imagine these stores to be extremely profitable, and, commendably, most of these store owners are engaged in this business for the love of the hobby more than anything esle.

But, is it that difficult to cater to the needs of your customers? It does not help that most of these stores open half days on Saturdays, and are completely closed on Sundays - The day where perhaps we customers need them the most.

I am hoping this thread could perhaps encourage some hobby stores to re think their business strategies.

I agree with TS.
    But on other hand, are the walk-in customer their main source of income or is it their online customer?
    There are LHS like MBRC and RCS who open on special timings, which can be arranged if within their ability though

Just my 2½cents worth

Comment

How about closing on a Monday and remaining open on the weekends?

I spoke to one LHS owner who cited the need to open by 12pm on weekdays to catch the lunch hours crowd.

The opening hours of most of these stores are awefully short - 11 -7 pm.

Virtually everyone esle has longer working hours!!!

I'd imagine most seasoned hobby stores are patronized by regulars, but i am sure that we would all like to hang around the stores more if given the opportunity. Impulse purchases could be a very good source of additional revenue

Comment

I tink u must put urself in the shoes of the staff of the LHS too. Every working adult also want 8hr working hours and 5 day work week.

Own boss also sometimes have to follow the timing imposed by the shopping centre.

Jus my 2 cents only.

Comment

Of course they do. But u dont see retail staff going home at 5pm on weekdays and malls closed on weekends do you?

Everyone makes a choice with regards to the industry they choose to work in and the working hours are a direct consequence of that.

In any case, i am just thinking it would be mutually beneficial to both the customer and the hobby store if they extended or altered their working hours. After all, the hobby store is a for profit organization.

Comment

I guess maybe not enough demand to make it worthwhile to open so late....so they open on Saturday instead of closing on the whole weekend....

I heard FookHai building management does not switch on the air-con on Sunday...
            After so many years, I am still a beginner

Comment

I have worked as a retail staff with Royal Sporting House for 1.5yrs so I know wats the feeling like. I worked in Jurong East branch, World Trade Centre branch, Holland Village branch and Lot One branch.

Working hrs was 11am to 9pm daily but there is staff rotation and we are only allowed to clock 40hrs per week. Any extra hrs, we were given late reporting for work or early release. Thatz because RSH is a big organisation.

An LHS is a very small business with limit staffs only so I doubt tis will work for them. I guess majority of their business are importing n exporting.

Comment

I guess hobby shops are like motor workshop.. They're always close when you needed them most Therefore.. Keep spares, or Internet lah.. they're open 24/7 and deliver to your door step..

Comment

Originally posted by tucfaz View Post
                  I guess hobby shops are like motor workshop.. They're always close when you needed them most Therefore.. Keep spares, or Internet lah.. they're open 24/7 and deliver to your door step..
                  And certain items are cheaper from online hobby shops. Can accumulate points for certain credit cards too.

Comment

Haha, if the dont mind all rc members here can volunteer work part time also... , earn some money to keep hobby going and at the same time help the business earn $ too...
                    Optic6 with Corona 2.4GHz
                    Mix flying, crawling, running.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee_Flower View Post
                      I guess maybe not enough demand to make it worthwhile to open so late....so they open on Saturday instead of closing on the whole weekend....

I heard FookHai building management does not switch on the air-con on Sunday...

Aircon working hours - Saturday half day, Sunday off day
                      My working hours - Saturday half sweat day, Sunday soaked day
                      Anyone who needs things gotta call me before coming, i am not always around on sundays

Comment

Ken, you should consider a portable aircon that works on a normal 240V socket.

I have been using one in my hostel for 2.5 years already, and the size of my room is 2/3 of your shop, and it works pretty darn well Look for something that is around 15000btu.

Comment

Originally posted by genexis View Post
                          Ken, you should consider a portable aircon that works on a normal 240V socket.

I have been using one in my hostel for 2.5 years already, and the size of my room is 2/3 of your shop, and it works pretty darn well Look for something that is around 15000btu.
                          Sadly I am running out of space

Comment

its not big. If another person can stand in your shop, you can afford to put it No mounting needed.

Comment

Originally posted by genexis View Post
                              its not big. If another person can stand in your shop, you can afford to put it No mounting needed.
                              Thanks, i will take note
                              At the moment, space is a luxury i do not have

Comment

Working...
                              X