Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how will aeromodelling benefit students entering the working world ?

Collapse

Zenm Tech Pte Ltd

Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aeromodelling.... benefit students entering the working world?

Me personally, am already working, when I enter this hobby.

Been an aviation fan since I was young. My dad was in RSAF, joined in '71. After that he went to ST Aerospace in the late 80's. I grew up living in the Officer's Quarters in Changi hearing the roar of jet engines every single day and night until age 4. The we moved to Tampines. After I got my first pair of specs, my childhood dream of being a pilot was smashed. So what else to do?

Settle for second best then. There was toys. Then came computer simulated flight and video games. Then slowly graduated from arcade style playing to realistic simulation. Waiting for O'level results, I got a temp job working at the ST Aerospace warehouse as a storeman courtesy of my dad. A large part of the aviation industry is pretty boring. A major part of the aircraft's life is spent on ground being maintained and overhauled. And when it is up in the air, unless you are the pilot, you will only be a passenger. What's the fun in that?

Anyway this hobby as some of the brothers pointed out, trains the modeller in patience, attention to details, hand-eye co-ordination. Through building the aircraft towards flight-worthiness, you also gain knowledge on electronic components, aerodynamics, theory of flight and other technical stuff. It's fun and when you start flying the product you put together with your own hands, it's a sense of pride and accomplishment.

Common in the Chinese Philosophy on learning, they talk about substance and form. Substance will refer to the knowledge, skills and aptitude (KSA's) which is a sum of inherited and learned abilities. Form is the end product or action with which KSA manifests itself. It could be a demostration of certain action e.g. playing chess or creating a product, e.g. baking a loaf of bread. Aeromodelling when view in this sense lets the student make use of the substance gained into another form in the working world.

To put it into a more modern sense. Students these days too often focus on their childhood learning methods and behaviour (pedagogy). However, they really need to cross the divide into adult thinking and learning (andragogy) to adapt and survive in the working world.

We will now examine another Learning theory called 'Constructivism'. Constructivism itself has many variations, such as Active learning, discovery learning, and knowledge building. A hobby like Aeromodelling promotes a student's free exploration within a given framework or structure, especially within the field of physics. Constructivist learning, therefore, is a very personal endeavor, whereby internalized concepts, rules, and general principles may consequently be applied in a practical real-world context.

Instead of a teacher who acts as a facilitator that encourages students to discover principles for themselves and to construct knowledge by working to solve realistic problems. The aeromodeller seeks to do this by themselves with maybe assistance from old birds.

I am an adult and so I build my own plane after seeking out the knowledge required. The aeromodeller young and adult realises the long and arduous road when they have trod upon the same path and the teaching and sharing of knowledge achieves synergy in time, money and energy.

Bloom's Taxonomy (simplified)
    Knowledge=>Understanding=>Analysis=>Synthesis=>Evaluation

If the student today learns the lessons behind Aeromodelling and apply it to their working life, they will benefit.

I also conduct corporate training in my organisation so I guess I have seen many new school-leavers ask themselves about application of knowledge in their working life.

there is a good reason why CCAs & Hobbies are also looked at in Business Resumes. It tells you about the person and not just his academic abilities.

If you want to know more, check out ACTA offered by WDA. The full course makes you a certified curriculum developer, assessment developer, trainer and assessor.
    Relax and Enjoy The Hobby.
    Note to self: Must stop buying too much stuff.

Comment

This is so interesting. I don't even know which institution offers aeronautical studies and what kind of qualification do you get out of it and what kind of jobs will you be able to get.

But does it matter? Cos at the end of the day, you might end up being a car salesman, a real estate agent, a CEO, a banker, a teacher, a volunteer worker, a housewife (for ladies only hor!).. and the list goes on You could still be earning $50k a year, or $2m! Who knows?!

And the more important question would be, are you happy where you are now? Not just with your career but with your family life, your spiritual life, your health, etc?

Comment

Working...
      X