Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear all, thanks for all your inputs. I've requested for the moderator to kindly lock this thread.

Hope this is a lesson learnt to all and may the gentleman involve act on his own accord to resolve this issue personally with me.

Safe flying to all!
    Practice makes permanent. Perfect practice makes perfect.

Comment

Hey Simon,

on another note, if we do meet up at BBQ or flying field, not to worry, I will smile at you first for sure. This is a matter we do not agree on, just a healthy debate, but it won't be a factor in our meeting, friendship or whatsoever. I will even let you fly my AJ sorry Jon's AJ if you want to kekeke.
      Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Thanks Edmond. I hope you will allow me to explain myself further on some things offline, I just don't want you to misunderstand where I'm coming from. I will gladly share some of my experiences and also learn from yours, be it in flying or life

Originally posted by edmond22
        Hey Simon,

on another note, if we do meet up at BBQ or flying field, not to worry, I will smile at you first for sure. This is a matter we do not agree on, just a healthy debate, but it won't be a factor in our meeting, friendship or whatsoever. I will even let you fly my AJ sorry Jon's AJ if you want to kekeke.

Comment

Originally posted by simonwoo
          Thanks Edmond. I hope you will allow me to explain myself further on some things offline, I just don't want you to misunderstand where I'm coming from. I will gladly share some of my experiences and also learn from yours, be it in flying or life
          Great! I get something to learn too for sure.

Comment

Hmm by the way Jon, you can still leave the thread open ya. I'm sorry we got a bit OT here but let's now get back to the subject proper cos I still think we should pursue this matter. Let's leave the issue of how we should approach such matters in future for another subject, but we should still share on this particular incident and preventive measures.

I agree, the whiteboard suggestion is probably going to be the simplest and most effective solution. Otherwise some of the older birds (like you lah Edmond!) can make it a point, chat with every new face on the field with a TX, maybe come up with some orientation package and FAQs that we can distrubute!

Even at church field itself, we have been talking until saliva dry up the past few weeks cos it seems like every week there are new visitors enquiring about how much it costs to start this hobby, what is brushed and brushless motor, what TX to buy etc

Comment

Tell you guys what....

I've been reading...and I think this really gets no where....

1) put up a frequency board
              2) seniors at the field should innoculate the newbies and teach them the necessary 'spoken & unspoken' rules
              3) Go fly....go get to know everyone in the field...and this matter will be resolved...or at least freq crash issues will be.

I know personally quite a few folks at my usual field...and I made it a point to know their frequencies...I too have been shot down...because some newbie came and turned on his stuff without checking...spoke to him...and told him the dangers involved...nothing related to $$ really...but its dangerous..

My suggestions...

1) I have 2-3 A1 size flip chart boards which I can loan out to the fields...
              2) Appoint your own ICs at the field to do marshalling etc.
              3) Make it a point to know your folks at the field and their frequencies.

Once you guys know who to appoint...I will bring the flip charts down to the fields to hand over to the ICs...on the condition that the boards will be taken care of...

Deal?
              TREX 500 ESP
              Futaba T12FGH

Comment

I agree, the whiteboard suggestion is probably going to be the simplest and most effective solution. Otherwise some of the older birds (like you lah Edmond!) can make it a point, chat with every new face on the field with a TX, maybe come up with some orientation package and FAQs that we can distrubute!

Even at church field itself, we have been talking until saliva dry up the past few weeks cos it seems like every week there are new visitors enquiring about how much it costs to start this hobby, what is brushed and brushless motor, what TX to buy etc

Talking to the newbies and helping to promote the hobby shouldn't just be the effort of an individual....it's a responsibility of each and everyone of us....

I know its not easy...for some of us its just one day at the field a week...for some...probably only a couple of hours....but..you will need to take a break from flying...and thats when you can help in that sense.

I personally know of some people who spends his whole flight day just to help people....instead of flying his own.

daddyhobby.com was setup not just to promote the hobby....we also want to promote friendship and sportsmanship etc...
                TREX 500 ESP
                Futaba T12FGH

Comment

new visitors enquiring about how much it costs to start this hobby, what is brushed and brushless motor, what TX to buy etc
                  What you say here brings back memories (I have lots of memories!) of the time long, long ago when I wanted to get started on RC flying. Before that I had been flying control line (anyone still knows what that was (is)?)

Anyway, one day I went to a field where a very well known RC flying club was flying, started talking with a couple of the people there, asking all sorts of questions (just like what you say). Without really answering any of my questions, first thing they ask me was, "do you have a plane?"

When I said "No", all they said was "go buy a plane, come here and we'll talk"
                  That was really, really, "put offing" and I resolved that I would learn to fly on my own, forget about these clubs and their unfriendly members. Unfortunately, I was not very successful at self-learning, and that was why I gave up the hobby long, long ago.

I don't know whether people in RC flying clubs are still as unfriendly as those of years ago, but I'm glad that all the non-club member RC flying people I've met so far are much friendlier and helpful.

What I'm trying to say is, if someone comes to you at the flying field and starts asking all sorts of "silly" questions, don't push him off or be unfriendly but take time to answer his "silly" questions. Who knows, one day you might see this same person joining you on the flight line, due to your initial encouragement, and another person is added to the RC flying community!

Comment

agree with Art...sometimes we have to help newbies to shout their Freq too....as they sometimes a bit "shy" to shout out loud...
                    it takes a lot of help from local seasoned or senior folks to welcome and brief new folks safety, "rules" as guideline to keep the place safe and happy.

Hope we can all put in our own effort to ensure things are run properly.
                    Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Comment

sign* i was ask 2 put my 2 cents worth, but i dont even hv 5 cents, how 2 put???
                      Futaba 8U Super/Spectrum DX7

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow."

"To be OLD & WISE, You must 1st have to be YOUNG & STUPID"

Comment

Originally posted by P4cm4n2000
                        agree with Art...sometimes we have to help newbies to shout their Freq too....as they sometimes a bit "shy" to shout out loud...
                        it takes a lot of help from local seasoned or senior folks to welcome and brief new folks safety, "rules" as guideline to keep the place safe and happy.

Hope we can all put in our own effort to ensure things are run properly.
                        i totally agree wit this. i was quite shy to ask ard, dont even say shout lol. asked my broe in law to ask for me. Then i was surprised those guys over at ff starts shouting da freq. this can even make those whos flyin ack`ed back. Plus this cuts down da time taken for freq checks tremendously and other pros too...
                        Current Blink²:
                        Trex-600N: TTRL53H/H#523/CarbSmart/CYATGv3-Gview/JR770T
                        Beam-E4: SC-8/13T/SC-55A/LT2100T

History Blink²:
                        Belt-CP
                        Walkera-#60

"Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory."
                        Nate Waddoups

Comment

Originally posted by Nazar78
                          i totally agree wit this. i was quite shy to ask ard, dont even say shout lol. asked my broe in law to ask for me. Then i was surprised those guys over at ff starts shouting da freq. this can even make those whos flyin ack`ed back. Plus this cuts down da time taken for freq checks tremendously and other pros too...
                          Nazar, when we fly our Beam, we should shout the following too lol:

"Radio God, freq check, please bless freq ####!"

Comment

rofl, haiz beam...
                            Originally posted by edmond22
                            Nazar, when we fly our Beam, we should shout the following too lol:

"Radio God, freq check, please bless freq ####!"
                            Current Blink²:
                            Trex-600N: TTRL53H/H#523/CarbSmart/CYATGv3-Gview/JR770T
                            Beam-E4: SC-8/13T/SC-55A/LT2100T

History Blink²:
                            Belt-CP
                            Walkera-#60

"Every takeoff is optional. Every landing is mandatory."
                            Nate Waddoups

Comment

Very good points there bros. Don't worry I only singled out Edmond in my suggestion cos I'm trying to tekan him , of course all of us should chip in. If all of us following this thread have taken some lesson back, then the next time we see a new face holding a TX, we should already have an alarm sounding off in our brains already right

Just yesterday I helped to maiden someone's Easystar which was nose heavy, kept turning right with rudder only like 5% effective. Boy I haven't felt that nervous flying a plane in a long time haha! And all the other bums were there giving their 'helpful' comments like "Turn left lah!", "Stop dolphining lah!" etc.. Never even realised my heart was pounding and I was sweating cold sweat already

And also yesterday, I had a boy of about 10 years of age asking me, "Can let me try?"!

I totally agree, newbies might feel awkward to shout out their freqs. There are a lot of things they might not know, like don't fly over our heads and don't try any stunts too close to people, etc.. It is our social responsibility to guide them, no doubts about that.

Comment

Very good points there bros. Don't worry I only singled out Edmond in my suggestion cos I'm trying to tekan him , of course all of us should chip in. If all of us following this thread have taken some lesson back, then the next time we see a new face holding a TX, we should already have an alarm sounding off in our brains already right

Just yesterday I helped to maiden someone's Easystar which was nose heavy, kept turning right with rudder only like 5% effective. Boy I haven't felt that nervous flying a plane in a long time haha! And all the other bums were there giving their 'helpful' comments like "Turn left lah!", "Stop dolphining lah!" etc.. Never even realised my heart was pounding and I was sweating cold sweat already

And also yesterday, I had a boy of about 10 years of age asking me, "Can let me try?"!

I totally agree, newbies might feel awkward to shout out their freqs. There are a lot of things they might not know, like don't fly over our heads and don't try any stunts too close to people, etc.. It is our social responsibility to guide them, no doubts about that.

Simon, the worst of the lot I encountered are those who are old birds and they try to designate a "new" place somewhere in PFW and Church vicinity to fly. I encountered it many times on the field opp Church field, it is a recipe for disaster. Of course I was nice to simply tell them to join us instead and why they should avoid flying there. The good thing is I am beginning to see more 2.4 behaving this way than the conventional PCM PPM system which is fine by me.

The other lot that I know is pure ignorance, They actually drive past the regular Funfly place but opted to stay away from the group, you can actually see them on the other end of the field where they simply turn their TX and just fly. This make all scramble their plane for a emergency landing or "safety" position whatever they can think of to make their crafts sustain the least damage should a clash happen lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X