Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Telescope

Hi Bros,

Anyone out there into astronomy, can give me some advice?

I intend to attach to my Canon 400D camera and take pictures of the Moon...etc...astronomy....

Some of local sites and shops can be found but perhaps I thought I should seek out some help here in DH first

my budget is about S$500 range, already got one from Carrefour at S$50 but cannot make it! it moves by itself when the wind blows,but the time you adjusted it, the move moved liao haha......and image upsidedown one

Thanks Bros!

Punggol Field Walk - Precision Landing Required!

Are you sure...

It is astronomy? and not anatomy?
    Go back in one piece to fly another day.
    Having fun yet?
    36.39mhz
    40.77mhz

Comment

Hehehe, for a closer look at the Moons of Venus (at the next block)

Cheers
      Adnan
      Take what you've got and fly with it - Jim Henson
      ... no plane will allow a pilot to recover from stupid. You still have to do those piloty things... - Joe Wurts
      Electric things run on smoke. Let the smoke out and they won't work.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by randomtask
        Hehehe, for a closer look at the Moons of Venus (at the next block)

Cheers
        Adnan
        haha...more like capturing Chekgu digging his nose...keke..

Comment

i'm in astronomy. i have a 102mm maksutov goto scope. i say wait till singastro has some good deals. the shop at sci center is too overpriced.

unfortunately, if you're expecting to take colorful photos of the galaxies and close up photos of the planets like those you see on the web, you will be in for a shock. in order to take such photos you will need to get to a very dark place(most prob in msia) and with a fairly large telescope. expect a proper astro-imaging setup to set you back at least 3k.

for $500 perhaps you can consider some secondhand 80mm refractors. however i'm not sure the included tripod will be able to take the weight of a dslr.

JR 9x
          Raptor 50 SE
          Raptor 90 3D
          Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
          Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
          Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

The shop at Singapore Science Centre is relatively expensive due to the shipping cost it has to bear. Take a look at the Singastro's market place to find some used telescope. Its a good place to start and ppl there can give you good advices.

Taking astronomic pictures involve alot more equipment then the camera and telescopes. U got to get a proper mount for the scope for stability. If you want to auto track the object you are going to take, you will have to get a tracking mount. Other accessories includes filters, starcharts (if you want to take pics of other objects), software for editing and cleaning up the pics...etc.

$500 budget might be abit low to get you started as this hobby cost the same or even more than our flying hobby. .

Used equipments is the only way to get you started for this amount.

Just my 2 cents worth of information.

Read through the Singastro forum and you will get alot more info from there or join one of their observation session.

U might want to PM a guy call Weixing over at the singastro forum and he might be able to help you out as he is a friendly buy and always like to share information with newbies. Just tell him jackie introduce you.

Regards,
            Jackie
            Jack_Mav88
            ---------------------------------------------
            Planes:
            1) 90mm Fiberglass F16
            2) RCL F16I
            3) Fly Fly 90mm MIG 29 (Building)
            4) Hyperion KI84 Hayate 40e (Selling)

Heli:
            1) Trex 700N (MWTS)
            2) E-Raptor 620
            3) RJX Extreme 90 (MWTS)
            4) Hurricane 550 (upgrading)

Comment

Hey Many Thanks Brandon and Jackie for sharing your experience and valuable information.

I'm will definitely read up more local forums & reseach before buying a scope.
              Saw Brandon's post in 2006 how he started and almost the same questions I asked:

Agree that the shop at Science Centre have priced too expensively (rental mah and low run rate).

Some more I heard now we got to pay admin into Science Centre in order to access to that shop, not sure how true, havent check yet.

The last time I went to that shop in Science Centre with my son, saw their telescopes promotional price, very attractive, about S$400 - $700 range.

Instead I bought the cheap telescope at S$50 from Carrefour 2yrs back.
              Waited till now to progress further when time permits.

Took a picture of the moon using my Canon 400D with a 300mm zoom lens.
              Wish I could take closer pics using a scope and see galaxies.

Agree also its good to start from used scopes since sometimes.

BTW Brandon, how much is your 102mm maksutov scope?

Thanks man!

Comment

I suggest you do a search for celestron on Amazon.com So much cheaper than getting locally.
                In politics, there are no permanent friends or enemies only permanent interest - Lord Palmerston

Comment

Shopping

Originally posted by flameangel
                  I suggest you do a search for celestron on Amazon.com So much cheaper than getting locally.
                  Ya! agreed with flameangel! Or you could also try Yahoo shopping. Also got cheap prices also.

Comment

careful what you shoot at... you'll never know what'll cross your lens...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

prices from stores in the US are very attractive, however if you include shipping the large optical tube and the very heavy tripod, your shipping + gst alone can easily run up $300+ for even a normal sized scope. and i wouldn't personally do it cos i will have to settle any issues that arise from the scope bumping around and all that glass getting out of alignment. unless you can find a good deal on shipping, i would still recommend a secondhand scope. used optical equipment does not really degrade much over time anyway. i got my nexstar 4 from its previous owner locally for $500. did the carbon tube weave myself.

if you want a good astrophoto setup thats not overly huge or complicated, look for apochromatic refractors. these are the long tube ones with special extra low dispersion glass. if you use a achromatic refractor on the moon, i think you will get severe colour fringing so an apo will help alot. a good size to start would be 80mm. 100 or 120mm if you can afford it. most importantly get a good sturdy tripod.

check these pages out

astrobargains and mcgill have some reasonably good prices

the 127mm maksutov is currently sg's most popular scope cos of its size and value for money. anything bigger is a PITA to lug around, anything smaller doesn't have alot of performance in sg's skies.
                      Last edited by Brandon Chng; 05-03-2008, 01:47 PM.
                      JR 9x
                      Raptor 50 SE
                      Raptor 90 3D
                      Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
                      Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
                      Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

Hey Bro,
                        you want to take a picture of the moon?
                        Just look into some website lah.. The moon shows you the same face everyday. SO nothing different.

But like what Plug&fly says, the next block venus may just show you a full moon once in a blue moon....
                        Hey man, just kidding.

Originally posted by P4cm4n2000
                        Hi Bros,

Anyone out there into astronomy, can give me some advice?

I intend to attach to my Canon 400D camera and take pictures of the Moon...etc...astronomy....

Some of local sites and shops can be found but perhaps I thought I should seek out some help here in DH first

my budget is about S$500 range, already got one from Carrefour at S$50 but cannot make it! it moves by itself when the wind blows,but the time you adjusted it, the move moved liao haha......and image upsidedown one

Thanks Bros!

Comment

For me, i'm using a Lumix FZ-10 (19x Optical Zoom) with 1.7x zoom lens to take pic of the moon (F11 & Shutter Mode). Total zoom is arnd 32X. Photo turn out pretty decent showing craters of the moon. When i pt the camera to mars, i could capture it as a orange planet. Too bad, i can't extend the zoom further. Imagine if i could have 48x zoom on my digital camera, i can even take pic of saturn ring!

A pretty good portable telescope fyi.

In politics, there are no permanent friends or enemies only permanent interest - Lord Palmerston

Comment

My Setup

Yo Yo Bro,

Share with you my setup.

Celestron C90 Mak which I picked up secnd hand for $280. We will need a T-Adapter and Ring to your 400D which should set you back around $50. Then you are set to go. These are some photos which I'm able to achieve with this setup.

And lots of patience !

72.790 MHz

Comment

Wah Ken....Thanks for the info man!

where did you buy your Celestron C90 Mak from? got lobang pls tell me...

guess U must been bz....see you around soon bro!

will give you a call if need help on the Celestron C90 Mak .

hey..a few of the brightess spot on the moon seems in same position as the pic I posted...haha..

Comment

Working...
                              X