Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New product in the market - ColdHeat

This is a field soldering iron, heats instantly and cools within seconds! No more waiting. Got this from a hardware store oversea, put in 2 AA batteries and you got this must have Jedi tool.

It seemed to create a weld arc with the solder and melts it instantly, the secret tip material heats up instantly with the arc. The only thing is that it can only use on METALLIC surface like wires, PCB etc, will not "melt" plastic as it need to close the circuit for the arcing to start.

It will pass some current across the bi-tip (the tip has cathode and anode), so when soldering small electronic component, make sure you don't fry the component by shorting the pins, i.e. both tip must tuch the same pin on the electronic. I don't think I will use it to do PCB soldering.

Very good for quick wire soldering in the field I must say. Check it out at www.coldheat.com

SonicBoom

wow, looks interesting. is there a picture of how the solder results will look like?
    TT01 - Subaru WRX STI
    FS-GT3B

Comment

Just perfect for those nasty field work.! Hate it when the solder joints break!

Thanx!
      SLOPE SOARING NOT A CRIME

The irresistible desire, for the irresistibly desired

Multiplex Royal Evo 12 user, and Proud of it.

Comment

Suan, bring it to the field this Sat morning for us to see
        sigpic

Comment

Challenger Superstore at Funan topmost floor was selling this a few weeks ago. The cost was $48 or so. But now could have been sold out. They do bring this item in every now and then but they tend to get sold out rather quickly and restocking is very irregular. Those interested might want to check it out but it may not be around anymore. Also, the salesmen there usually don't seem to know about this item even when they are stocking it. When you ask them, they will always say don't know or don't have. I have to find it myself and bring it to the salesman to show him. So you should try to find it in the store yourself.
          "The ground is my best teacher but not exactly my favourite"

Comment

Originally posted by peary
            wow, looks interesting. is there a picture of how the solder results will look like?
            I must say it is pretty good. You can find a soldering tool that heats up in less than 1 (ONE) second.

The "arcing" produce high heat on these carbon based tip, melts the solder instantly.
            SonicBoom

Comment

Originally posted by peary
              I think there are some pictures on their web site, there was a link which shows a picture of the soldering outcome.

For a US$19.99, you can't go wrong. Can't get a decent lipo battery with that price here. I got it for Canadian $29.99 + 14% GST at Sears.

It does have a different smell, and yes, the solder will not stick to the carbon based tips, it repels the molten solder instead. So, it is slightly from the usual tip thinning you do with the regular soldering iron.
              SonicBoom

Comment

Got one from US. Very good for field work. Also works well wil soldering paste. No mess...

Cheers.
                Just because we grow up, doesn't mean we stop playing...in fact, the games just get better and the toys just get bigger...

"Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you!" - Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Working...
                X