1) 3 DJI 2212/950KV motors.
    2) 2 Castle 35amp (no BEC) ESC.
    3) 1 Caste 35amp ( with BEC) ESC.
    4) KK2.1 ( Not Flashed ) stock setting
    5) ORX 2.4GHz Receiver.
    6) Turnigy 20-30c 3000 mah 3.0 Battery.
    7) ORX T-SIX transmitter.
    8) 9GRM servo

The issues that I am having is when I give it power the left motors come off the ground and that it ( all 3 motors are running).
    If I go in to the KK2.1 and I change the P and I gain, the trail comes off the ground and it spins like a top

Any comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a tricopter expert, I fly quads so I can't help in everything. BUT, did you do an esc calibration, accelerometer/gyro calibration? When motors don't fire up all at once, those could be possible reasons.

Comment

Hi clark,

Firstly its a tricopter* There are many possible reasons why your tri isnt flying properly, Maybe your transmitter has reversed settings etc? I think you need to provide a better description of your problem for us to pinpoint the issue of the kk2.1. But without further poking, here are the things which i recommend you try to do =)

try to re-calibrate all your escs using the available methods found online,
      personally i use: http://youtu.be/cjoVtzTSRnI - Checkout point at 7:00mins

please remember to remove your props before you calibrate your ESC. You really dont want your props to cut your fingers at max throttle

If you dont re calibrate your escs, you will NOT be able to get equal throttle ranges across all the motors, Use the stock PID gains you can find online for tricopters, or just use the defult PID settings.
      I Recommend you flash your KK To v1.6.

Also, cross check online with the wiring of all your ESC to KK board wires, and KK to Receiver Wiring.

Click image for larger version

Name:	kk2setup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	978488

When you are done with this, with the props removed, plug in your battery and throttle up to the point when all 3 motors are spinning (im gonna get some flack over this, but its how i do it anyway) Then:

Manually... with your hands...

Tilt the tri to the right: your right motor should speed up

Tilt the tri to the left: your left motor should speed up

Tilt the tri forwards : Your front 2 motors should speed up

Tilt the tri backwards: your front 2 motors should slow down somewhat and your rear motor will speed up.

Point the tri right and left: Your rear motor should be connected to a yaw mechanism controlled by a servo. This should go in the same direction as your tri's direction if seen from the rear of the tri.

If any of the above is wrong, please reverse that channel via kk2.1 board settings.

What the kk is trying to do, is to compensate for whatever drop in location to stabilize the tri. If the above is all fine, then it should be fine and good to go, but please be careful! Dont gun the throttle! Ideally, a tri should hover between 40 to 60% Throttle.

Experience: kk2.0 and kk2.1.5, 1 FT Tri copter, 450Quad and now a 250quad. Tri's are fun, but mini quads are just so awesome!

Comment

Can try ESC/throttle calibration, and see if the problem is fixed.

The KK board also has a useful feature called throttle dead-band, where the motors don't start until the throttle is raised above a certain amount. This helps somewhat to ensure that all motors start running at the same time.

Just remember to remove props before messing around with such settings...
        ------------------------------
        Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
        NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholas View Post
          Experience: kk2.0 and kk2.1.5, 1 FT Tri copter, 450Quad and now a 250quad. Tri's are fun, but mini quads are just so awesome!
          I've only flown 450 quad...... how's the 250?
          this is my 450 in flight

Comment

Nice to see another bro who appreciates tri-copters!

The issues that I am having is when I give it power the left motors come off the ground and that it ( all 3 motors are running).
            Not sure what could be causing this. but here are some possible causes ofthe top of my head:
            1) ESC calibration as mentioned by the other bros,
            2) Under Receiver test, check if your trims / sub-trims are zeroed,
            3) Are your motors spinning in the correct direction?

If I go in to the KK2.1 and I change the P and I gain, the tri comes off the ground and it spins like a top
            This is probably due to the yaw gyro compensating in the wrong direction. try going to the "Mixer Editor" and change the channel (number to the upper right) to 4 where the yaw servo is connected. Then change the "rudder" mix value to -100. I had this issue when i build my tri too (kk2.0 firm ware 1.5). I believe newer firmware have this problem sovled but not sure.

Hope this helps
            Current Hangar Occupants

Planes
            UM T-28 Brushed & Brushless modded
            UMX Mig 15 & Habu
            Radjet 420
            Rarebear Fun Fighter
            Mini Skywalker
            GWS E-Starter

Helis
            Scratchbuild Mini Tri-copter
            DJI Flamewheel 330
            250 size Miniquad
            Blade MSRX
            FHX-2 (MCX 2)

Comment

To add on. Go into your receiver settings in the KK2 and check that all your trims are centred.

Comment

Originally posted by alaskafox View Post
                Nice to see another bro who appreciates tri-copters!

Not sure what could be causing this. but here are some possible causes ofthe top of my head:
                1) ESC calibration as mentioned by the other bros,
                2) Under Receiver test, check if your trims / sub-trims are zeroed,
                3) Are your motors spinning in the correct direction?

If I go in to the KK2.1 and I change the P and I gain, the tri comes off the ground and it spins like a top
                This is probably due to the yaw gyro compensating in the wrong direction. try going to the "Mixer Editor" and change the channel (number to the upper right) to 4 where the yaw servo is connected. Then change the "rudder" mix value to -100. I had this issue when i build my tri too (kk2.0 firm ware 1.5). I believe newer firmware have this problem sovled but not sure.

Hope this helps

Mark Hall at Simplecopter (www.simplecopter.com) talks about the spinning problem. Are you using a digital servo? If so you need to go to the "Mixer Editor>Channel 4 (rudder)" The setting displayed for the Rudder is "100." If you have a digital servo, change the default (100) setting to -100. You can see this about minute 34 of his Building the Simple tricopter on his web site or on YouTube. http://youtu.be/e6K4NXoq-Qk

Hope this helps...

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your help, unfortunately I did something wrong and shorted out the kk2.1 board.I have order a new one but it takes 45 day ( or so ) to get to me, so I am looking for some info/codes for my other board Multiwii Pro Flight Controller W/mtk Gps Module from hobbyking.
                  Thing that I need help with.
                  1) Safe operating codes ( flight codes and GPS codes.) to down load.
                  2) A step by step video of how to install codes ( for my trycopter ) flight codes and GPS codes.
                  3) And your feedback on this flight controller board ( the good, the bad and other )

Comment

Working...
                  X