Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Naza/Phantom 4.00 firmware and issues

I guess by now most of the Naza and Phantom users are aware that a new 4.00 firmware has been released a few days ago. The new firmware has a lot of cool features on paper:

Firmware
    - Free Ground Station function available without S/N, 16 waypoints supported. (Support the Ground Station on PC or iPAD when using the 2.4G Bluetooth Datalink)
    - Add Flight limits (Default Max Height is 2000m and Max radius is 2000m).
    - Add Motor Test function.
    - Optimize the taking off conditions to meet most requirements of taking off on moving vehicles.
    - Optimize the conditions to enter into the compass calibration more easily.

However, initial testing shows some cracks, so be wary and perhaps upgrade delay your upgrade or at least be mindful when you use the new features. The video below shows an upgraded Phantom losing Aileron/Elevator controls when hitting the distance flight limits. Apparently, the only way to bring it back would have been to go in Manual mode. So, another perfect example of why learning to fly Manual (aka Rate mode) with any brand of flight controller is important.

Update:

It appears that the loss of Aileron and Elevator control upon hitting the distance limit is a consequence of the feature. Page 21 of the manual says:

"If the aircraft flies out of the limits, only Throttle and Rudder commands will be available. Then the aircraft will fly back towards the Home point. Once the aircraft flies back within the range, the Transmitter will regain all the control."

However, in this case, the Phantom obviously did not fly back towards the Home Point. Besides, I don't get the idea of disabling elevator and aileron. Why not just prevent the craft from moving outside of the limit, but still allow some horizontal control, as long as the intended direction by the pilot is within the geofenced area. It appears that the way this "feature" was implemented by DJI is to simply engage GPS mode (since this feature works in Atti mode as well) and disable aileron/elevator, effectively preventing the pilot to move the craft in any horizontal direction, then supposedly engaging failsafe to bring the craft back.

Comment

Updated my Phantom with the 4.0

GPS speed seems noticeably slower compared to Atti.
      I set my limits to 100m height, 1000m radius....don't think I will ever fly that far or high to notice if it works.
      The motor test function seems cool, cos you can see and hear if you have any problems with individual motors when they are spinning.
      GPS hold seems to be better, but hard to say as I usually fly Atti.

Comment

I have just flown the version 4,I think this firmware is not perfect yet, the craft keeps drifting like as it is on manual mode,it is very unstable and sometimes the compass error is too big..
        Maybe i am wrong, but there is definitely some bugs not solve,for beginners kindly stick on to your 3.16 and wait for another version. Unless you are good at flying Manual mode.

Comment

appreciate the heads up warning everyone

Comment

Never get carried away by features and fancy...on updates,if it cannot even hold still on GPS mode,something is very wrong, better landed and roll back the version you are better at..
            This is no joke, me and my bro had many crashes and fixes but we never give up learning more on what went wrong.
            Best tips of Day
            Always check physically and understand your controller LED command
            And every hard landing, receiver and satellites too need checking, see if it broken or bad connection or else it can fly very well and than suddenly drop like a stone from the sky
            Lastly always fly with your good bro, they might help you spot something before you go ahead and crashed.
            To all multirotors Pilots HAPPY flying and enjoy....

Comment

Working...
            X