Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YUN-I With 3-Axis Expansion Board EMI Experience

Just to share my experience with setting up the YUN-I Brushless Gimbal Controller with 3rd Axis Expansion Board, running 5208 motors on 4s.

The basic 2-axis set up went fine and I was quite impressed with it. However, after connecting the 3rd-axis board and yaw motor, there were many I2C errors (hundreds per second) and the gimbal started shaking. The errors did not appear when the yaw motor was disconnected.

It appeared to be EMI noise from the motor and the longer I2C cable (need to splice the SDA and SCL wires) probably contributed to it, too. Thus, I installed ferrite cores on the I2C cable and it reduced the errors somewhat. Clip-on ferrite cores on the motor wires eliminated the remaining errors. Yay! $7 in ferrite cores...

Now I can finally get down to tuning the gimbal...

Thanks for sharing . learned something here.

Comment

Originally posted by JCDenton View Post
      Just to share my experience with setting up the YUN-I Brushless Gimbal Controller with 3rd Axis Expansion Board, running 5208 motors on 4s.

The basic 2-axis set up went fine and I was quite impressed with it. However, after connecting the 3rd-axis board and yaw motor, there were many I2C errors (hundreds per second) and the gimbal started shaking. The errors did not appear when the yaw motor was disconnected.

It appeared to be EMI noise from the motor and the longer I2C cable (need to splice the SDA and SCL wires) probably contributed to it, too. Thus, I installed ferrite cores on the I2C cable and it reduced the errors somewhat. Clip-on ferrite cores on the motor wires eliminated the remaining errors. Yay! $7 in ferrite cores...

Now I can finally get down to tuning the gimbal...
      Sir could you rephrase all of that into layman terms? I tried understanding but couldn't understand the big words and the abbreviations.
      "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

Basically, when I wired up everything, there was a lot of electrical noise (Electro-Magnetic Interference (EMI)) that caused the gimbal to go nuts. Ferrite cores on the wires helped block the EMI.

A picture of the final set up showing the ferrite cores might help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gimbal_FerritesAnno.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	224.2 KB
ID:	975878

Comment

Working...
        X