Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on multirotors

Hello fellow multicopter enthusiasts, I would like to find out what size frames and what size motors go together. E.g. frame, motor and prop size. I have a restriction which is transport thus i would like something easier to carry but of significant size, would this be a good choice? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ame_550mm.html. Also what size motors would be best?

I usually fly at OHR and i saw a guy named lawrence with his quad and got hooked!

Thanks for viewing

You might want to get a frame that's foldable, that will make transportation a little easier. The frame size of the X550 is quite typical but it is not exactly portable. Unless you carry it with a big bag, it is going to attract some attention. You may also want to consider building a foldable Tricopter instead, but the tail mechanism with the servo may be too much of a hassle to build. Now if you want something that's really portable, you may want to get those tiny quadcopters. You can fly them almost anywhere and even in your own living room. Great for practicing your flying as they very durable.

Comment

Ahh okay, thanks for the advice. So anyways i was wondering, what's the kkboard v3 compared to ardupilot or arduino or naza like? Is there a big difference in stability?

Comment

Originally posted by javachip89 View Post
        Ahh okay, thanks for the advice. So anyways i was wondering, what's the kkboard v3 compared to ardupilot or arduino or naza like? Is there a big difference in stability?
        I think you mean the KK2board rather than the kkboard V3, but I guess it can be referred to as the V3 with so many versions out there. I have the KK2board and it works great, I also own 2 quads and 1 tricopter on the classic Kkboard and they are excellent. The KKboard is relatively affordable and gives very good performance, but it needs some work before it can be truly "hands free". A lot of tuning is required and if you are a novice, it will take some time and self study to master PID tuning. One properly tuned, the classic KKboard and its other iterations are very good. Unless it is heavily modified, the plain vanilla KKboard requires hands on flying all the time. The KK2board is easier to setup with an easy to read LCD panel and because it has accelerometers and MEMs gyros, it is significantly more stable than the older KKboard, again once properly tuned. Its firmware is still being fine tuned and though it has "auto level" it felt more like control dampener to me. All the KKboard series are cost effective and a great way to get started albeit with a lot of tuning to get it perfect.

Having just got the ardupilot (APM2) or the arduino flight controller to work on my first Hexacopter, I can say that this board is incredibly sophisticated and the stock hexa firmware worked right out of the box. Very docile very nice auto stable capability. Comes with a tonnes of features, clearly not for the novice, this board is for tinkerers and experimenters. As it comes with heaps of features, the price is also much higher than the KKboard. What I do like is the software and firmwares is constantly updated and there's a huge global community working on it to improve the software. As of now Version 2.5 of the board is coming out.

I have never used the Naza but from what I know about this flight controller is that it is fairly easy to setup and has a solid reputation. The most expensive solution of the lot but probably the easiest to set up. Judging from the flight videos on the internet, it is an excellent performer. The Naza recently have a GPS upgrade released whereas the APM or the AduPilotMega 2 already have GPS and waypoint capability.

Comment

Originally posted by Weeliano View Post
          I think you mean the KK2board rather than the kkboard V3, but I guess it can be referred to as the V3 with so many versions out there. I have the KK2board and it works great, I also own 2 quads and 1 tricopter on the classic Kkboard and they are excellent. The KKboard is relatively affordable and gives very good performance, but it needs some work before it can be truly "hands free". A lot of tuning is required and if you are a novice, it will take some time and self study to master PID tuning. One properly tuned, the classic KKboard and its other iterations are very good. Unless it is heavily modified, the plain vanilla KKboard requires hands on flying all the time. The KK2board is easier to setup with an easy to read LCD panel and because it has accelerometers and MEMs gyros, it is significantly more stable than the older KKboard, again once properly tuned. Its firmware is still being fine tuned and though it has "auto level" it felt more like control dampener to me. All the KKboard series are cost effective and a great way to get started albeit with a lot of tuning to get it perfect.

Having just got the ardupilot (APM2) or the arduino flight controller to work on my first Hexacopter, I can say that this board is incredibly sophisticated and the stock hexa firmware worked right out of the box. Very docile very nice auto stable capability. Comes with a tonnes of features, clearly not for the novice, this board is for tinkerers and experimenters. As it comes with heaps of features, the price is also much higher than the KKboard. What I do like is the software and firmwares is constantly updated and there's a huge global community working on it to improve the software. As of now Version 2.5 of the board is coming out.

I have never used the Naza but from what I know about this flight controller is that it is fairly easy to setup and has a solid reputation. The most expensive solution of the lot but probably the easiest to set up. Judging from the flight videos on the internet, it is an excellent performer. The Naza recently have a GPS upgrade released whereas the APM or the AduPilotMega 2 already have GPS and waypoint capability.
          Hmm i'm not sure if this is the one you're mentioning, cos the one i have does not have a lcd screen. This is the one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ga328_PA_.html.

WOW nice! But how much did you get the ardu at??

Comment

Hmm i'm not sure if this is the one you're mentioning, cos the one i have does not have a lcd screen. This is the one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ga328_PA_.html.

Check out the post here, http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/show...a-2-Hexacopter

I have listed out the prices for each of the components in the follow up posts . You can order the ArduPilot Mega 2 from DIY Drones or buy locally at Singapore Hobby and Sg Drone.

Comment

Ah I see... the KKboard from Hobbyking V3 is just a memory upgrade, performance wise there is no difference from the older version. You can save a few dollars more by getting the older model and it is not necessary to get the V3 as most of the firmwares won't use up the extra memory, unless you custom write your own and need more memory.

Comment

Originally posted by Weeliano View Post
                Ah I see... the KKboard from Hobbyking V3 is just a memory upgrade, performance wise there is no difference from the older version. You can save a few dollars more by getting the older model and it is not necessary to get the V3 as most of the firmwares won't use up the extra memory, unless you custom write your own and need more memory.
                Wow your hex looks great! So the stability of the v3 board is the same as the v2? Hmmm well, I don't write my own code so i guess the extra memory is redundant, i bought it from a friend of mine. Interesting.. Did you get the one with the gps??

Comment

Wow your hex looks great! So the stability of the v3 board is the same as the v2? Hmmm well, I don't write my own code so i guess the extra memory is redundant, i bought it from a friend of mine. Interesting.. Did you get the one with the gps??
                  Yep, all the plain KKboards using the Peizo gyros performs the same, unless they are modified with MEMs Gyros. Yes, I got the fully assembled ArdupilotMega 2 with all the bells and whistles. Just had a great test flight downstairs, uploading video now, will update on my hexa thread.

Comment

Working...
                  X