Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety issue at cd field!!!!

Hi everyone,

I am only considered a beginner in this hobby but there is some suggestion for the way some of the guys fly at the CD field.

For those people who fly at the CD field, you would know that there are two generic spots to fly from over at CD field.

1. The first place is over at the 'make-shift' runway which is further in into the field.

2. The second place is at the pavement area closer to the road.

The safety issue occurs when people who fly over at the make-shift try to make their way to the 'runway'. Sometimes people who are flying at the pavement don't notice the guys standing at the runway and fly dangerously close to these guys. Moreover, those guys who hand-launch EDF jets or flying wings at the pavement run the risk of accidentally crashing into the guys at the runway due to the unpredictable behavior of the jets at low speeds during launching and landing. I myself have almost been hit two-three times.

I suggest that everybody strictly stand at the runway and take off there. Every flier should also call out 'taking off' and 'landing' during the respective timing.

I hope that everybody agrees on what I am suggesting and that the changes happen quickly at the field. Thus, making the sport a safer one for all of us.

Regards,
    Vaibhav Kumar
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Just to reiterate what the threadstarter had said, I have also seen people fly their aircraft just above people's heads, land on the road beside the field and even on the pavement nearly hitting children. I have flown in many places locally but Tampines field has some of the most unruly flyers I have seen. Maybe it is time to remind everyone again to fly safe wherever you are to avoid unwanted incidents and just have clean fun with our hobby.
    Beastx installed and flying ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I agree with Kumar and kiply.
      Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

I used to fly at the CD field in the afternoons.

There are a bunch of people who take off from behind the flight line - mostly hand launchers and quads - and then proceed to buzz the flight line. Not deliberately, I think. It's just a matter of focusing on the model and losing track of your surroundings.

Once, I tried to diplomatically tell a bunch of guys flying EPP wings (it appeared to be combat flying) that maybe they should move up to the flight line. They were not rude, but they were dismissive of potential risks. "This one very light only, cannot hurt anyone. See, I can even catch it when it comes to land."

And I can see where they're coming from.

The thing is, I would never forgive myself if somehow one of my planes hurt someone else. Never mind that it "breaks rules" or that it will "result in a crackdown from the government" - these are secondary considerations. I don't want to hurt another human being due to something I could have controlled. It's the same with driving a car.

It is better for me to do everything reasonable to prevent such occurrences, and I think taking the extra 30 seconds to walk to the flight line is perfectly reasonable.

Now, I do not fly at the CD field in the afternoons. I wake up early in the morning and get there around 7-7:30, where, with a bunch of like minded people, we do silly things with flying things... but hopefully in a safe manner .

PS: I used to be one of those guys who flew off the side of the road. Then someone told me not to do it and why. Now I don't fly off the side of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by rayonnair View Post
          I used to fly at the CD field in the afternoons.

There are a bunch of people who take off from behind the flight line - mostly hand launchers and quads - and then proceed to buzz the flight line. Not deliberately, I think. It's just a matter of focusing on the model and losing track of your surroundings.

Once, I tried to diplomatically tell a bunch of guys flying EPP wings (it appeared to be combat flying) that maybe they should move up to the flight line. They were not rude, but they were dismissive of potential risks. "This one very light only, cannot hurt anyone. See, I can even catch it when it comes to land."

And I can see where they're coming from.

The thing is, I would never forgive myself if somehow one of my planes hurt someone else. Never mind that it "breaks rules" or that it will "result in a crackdown from the government" - these are secondary considerations. I don't want to hurt another human being due to something I could have controlled. It's the same with driving a car.

It is better for me to do everything reasonable to prevent such occurrences, and I think taking the extra 30 seconds to walk to the flight line is perfectly reasonable.

Now, I do not fly at the CD field in the afternoons. I wake up early in the morning and get there around 7-7:30, where, with a bunch of like minded people, we do silly things with flying things... but hopefully in a safe manner .

PS: I used to be one of those guys who flew off the side of the road. Then someone told me not to do it and why. Now I don't fly off the side of the road.
          Nice of you to share your thoughts on this, and being a Tampines flyer yourself. Sadly, there are still those who are not as like-minded as you. Some even choose to ignore when told of the menace they are posing to others. Very sad indeed
          Beastx installed and flying ...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Bringing on AFS to set certain ground rules????

I was actually thinking if we could ask AFS to come up with certain ground rules which are generic and can be applied to all of the fields.
            Afterwhich, everybody has to strictly follow these rules.

Hopefully, the moderator of this forum can bring this issue up to the member of AFS. It would be deeply appreciated.
            "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo Da Vinci

Comment

There are traffic rules, all drivers are to to take basic highway code and there will always be some people who will disregard safety rules and highways code.

So whatever rules AFS may draft out, there will still be some individual who won't give a hoot and do as they please. It all boils down to individual and this is something no rules or regulation can address.

Comment

Originally posted by chiadennis View Post
                There are traffic rules, all drivers are to to take basic highway code and there will always be some people who will disregard safety rules and highways code.

So whatever rules AFS may draft out, there will still be some individual who won't give a hoot and do as they please. It all boils down to individual and this is something no rules or regulation can address.
                I personally think that thinking about the few who won't comply shouldn't stop us from making the effort of making the hobby a safer one.

In my opinion, if people refuse to follow the rules after they have been laid down would only reflect on their upbringing and their values/beliefs.

I know that you are much more senior then me and i respect your opinion but this is what i personally feel and i dun mean to go against you.

Comment

In every field you will have certain individual who don't listen. You can talk to them, you can shout at them, they won't listen. Sad right and these are adults. So what do you do? when they fly, land and get out of their way and hope they dont smash their planes onto people or properties.

Comment

Working...
                  X