Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety Issues-Query from a JW Resident

Greetings all!

I'm a resident staying opposite the field (where Corporation Primary School is) ultilised by some for RC flight purposes. Haha not gonna complain about the noise level .

Joined this forum so that I could enquire about some safety issues hehehe

I noticed some of RC flyers are stationed near the edge of the field, perhaps only about 3-4 metres away from the pedestrian pavement. As like last Sunday, there were the peeps having a game of football, a family having a go at flying a kite, joggers and a flyer.

My concern is this:

What if a flyer fails to control his aeroplane/helicopter and it flies beyond the field, towards the pavement and the road? Might injure a passer-by/hit a vehicle. Or towards the other people on the field.

Are there safety measures in place to guard against such incidents?

Thanks.

i dont think that there is any "foolproof" safety system. if someone else gets inured because of an aircraft hitting them, i would think the only solution is negotiation between both parties.
    If a pilot loses control of his aircraft, all he can do is to warn the nearby ppl by shouting out to them.
    We are doing our part by flying in empty and big fields(hard to find in SG) that are 'ulu' so that there is no one around. U dont see ppl flying nitro helis in their neighbourhood so as to prevent accident OR EVEN DEATHS.
    rotor blades spinning at 1900RPM will surely injure someone BADLY.

Not to mention, there was an accident at bukit batok flying club. FYI, it is located just beside a road with trees blocking view.I heard from others that a heli lost control and flew out and crashed into a car .
    At another location in tampines, a heli oso lost control and crashed into PLAB.
    thankfully the pilot owned up.Police and CID were involved in this case as it was a posible terror attack.
    the place has ( i think) been banned tho ppl still fly there
    Don't PCW

Beam E4
    Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
    Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Mr Helirulz. Much appreciated.

Yes I do agree there isn't a foolproof system. But are there pre-meditated steps taken to reduce it?
      For example, the flying radius or a fixed distance between the pavements and the helicopters.

Aye I am aware that 2 big fields are hard to come by and I quite enjoy looking at the objects being flown at the field.

I think negotiation is a post-incident solution, success depends on degree of damage...if my kid gets injured, my parental instincts wouldn't allow room for negotiation hehehe. Sometimes it can be noisy (like last Sunday and was only 1 flyer lol. By the way? why are some noisy while some aren't? hehe power-related?) and not sure if passers-by/cars can hear the warnings in time. o.O

Not here to create problem but just want to be assured of safety. Thanks.

Comment

rest assure JW flyer only fly in wee hours from 8 to 10am..

normally nobody at the field..during those time.

i do see heli flyers on sunday evenings... but they are not from daddyhobby

cheers.
        i'm a rc sotong. And i know nuts about it.

Comment

Thanks Mr Fuse. Hehe aye noticed the morning flyers but same questions left unanswered

Comment

i believe u need answers for this
            Are there safety measures in place to guard against such incidents?

well to tell you the truth.. the answer is no.

there are no measures to guard against this.

i'm not going to tell you the 1001 reason what might or might not happen but what ever we do, there are certain risk involved. i hope i have answered your question in regards to flying in JW field.. as long as it involved a machine , things can happen no matter what safety you in placed.

accident do happen .. i guess inorder to prevent any fly object from hitting people, the best is to stop fly all together.

i understand your concern. if you like to communicate with us further, i suggest you pay us a visit during our morning session and we can get to know you better.

thanks

Comment

Thanks for quick reply again. hmmm is there a fixed flying radius like distance between activity and pavement?

Comment

We always try to fly in the perimeters of the field and so far i dont think we have had any majors accidents about hitting buildings or cars. Moreover, we usually get panicky even if it gets near the edge of the field and as a last resort, we will typically dump our plane by nosing down straight into the grass.

Comment

hehe basic artificial psychological safety illusion.

Comment

again i invite you to have a chat with us to voice your concern so we can better understand each other

hope to see you soon one of this weekend.

thanks.

Comment

oh, maybe u wanted to know if we still had control over our planes if it gets near the buildings. (u said fixed radius). yes, our recievers are typically very reliable even if it is more than 1km away so rest be assured that we have complete control even when our planes are getting near the buildings.

Comment

what if there's interference??
                        Don't PCW

Beam E4
                        Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
                        Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Thanks for the invite but I do walk pass and admire the view from afar occasionally. Observation has thus prompted this query.

Comment

Originally posted by helirulz
                            what if there's interference??
                            unless someone outsider the JW flyer group did it in purpose.....other wise I should say interference is min with each of us knowing what frequency of the other are using.....anyway most of us are using diff freq at the field.

Yes we (JW flyer) understand very well the safety concern. That is why we fly very early (7:30am) and end early too (10:00am), try our very best to avoid the busy wkend hr. At the same time, we constrain our flying area to within the forward field area only. "All flyers" are advise and inform not too fly too near to the HDB area. We usually give notice to flyer if they start flying too near to the building or over the road area. Hence I am sure we (JW flyers) are trying our best to fly safely at the public area.

Your understanding is much appreciated to let us to share the area for our hobby. Hope not causing too much trouble and concern over the issue. On the other hand, if you still have any concern or wanted to find out more of our activities. You are more than welcome to drop by any of the wkend so we can explain and understand each other's concern and constrain.

Once again thanks for your feedback we will do our best to further ensure safety during our flying section

Comment

Hi Veldalight,

You can trust this group of flyers who fly between 7.30am and 10.00am on weekends, they are very responsible people. Safety is first thing in their mind for the fact that they chose to fly so early to avoid crowd in the later hours. There are'nt many morning flyers here.

Frequency control is already like second nature to seasoned flyers like them. However, radio interference and electronic/mechanical failures do happen, but the possibility of such accidents during flight is minimized by conducting preflight checks on servo/linkages in the plane/heli, and range check on the radio.

It is definitely beneficial to pay the group a visit if time permits, I am sure they will be most happy to assist you with whatever questions you may have about this hobby.

For Sale

CSM ICG400 Heading Lock Gyro+ ($160)
                              (

Comment

Working...
                              X