X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

T-Rex Cameraship Crash

This happened today. PCM lockout sucks.

http://media.putfile.com/No-Guts-No-Glory

Well, if you're going to be afraid of crashing, you just won't learn to fly now would you? Amazingly the camcorder was intact and still recording. The good news is that I've rebuilt the T-Rex and it's flying smooth as ever. Guess I'll have to try again with a longer antenna.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,
    Sorry about the crash...
    >100+ ft = 10 HDB storeys - that was very high up!

My closing comments: Success comes (now or later) to those who dare and try.

Comment

nice video....

btw what software was that...

and your fisher C1 cam is clear.....hmmmm....going to try my cheez cam...
      Heli
      * OS46- ... and doing simple figure 8 and nose in... want to venture to loops...
      Thanks to all old birds from Daddyhobby
      Car
      *Hyper 8 RTR
      Tank
      *HenLong M1A1
      Mini Monster Truck

Comment

At least i know how the view like when my heli makes the dive. My T-Rex crahed yesteday too. It was my first outdoor flight. Never flew in such windy condition before. And i never flew that high before.
        My Hangar:

Heli 1:T-REX 450SE (Hughes MD 500)
        (SE-maiden 15/03/06)
        (XL-maiden 16/10/05)

Heli 2:RAPTOR 50 TITAN
        (TITAN-maiden 16/06/2006)

Heli 3:T-REX 500ESP (T-rex maiden 25/9/10)
        (FLASHER 500-maiden 08/10/2009 R.I.P:09/08/10)

Heli 4:Flasher 250
        (maiden 13/09/2010)

Airplane 1:GWS A-4SU Skyhawk For Sale
        Airplane 2:GWS P-40N WarHawk RAAF maiden flight 20/08/10 For Sale

Transmitter:
        JR 9XII(XPS 2.4)

Its all fun & games till the bills come..

Comment

I admire your willingness to share

Really sharp picture. Wasnt sure if you had posted details of your setup before, I am interested Any link for the camera system you using.

Thanks

Mike

Comment

V ^^ V

the cam u use was it a RC cam??? or a normal cam strapped onto the body of the heli???

V ^^ V
            Stay happy and live life laughing.... V ^^ V
            You have only so many years.... V ^^ V
            so ENJOY IT!!!!! V ^^ V

Comment

Hi Daniel Wee

Sorry to hear your crashes. I was wondering when u say PCM lockup->motor cut->Fall down.... but when came down, does your motor come alive again or you already switch to AutoRotate mode already?

BTW... can show us some picture of your camera also? Interested also.

SH

Comment

Hi,

Wow, thanks for all the interest here, heheh. Let me just quickly respond to some of the queries here:-

Video editing software used was Sony Vegas Video 6.0.

The camera is a regular consumer SD card camcorder, the Fisher C1, also known as the Sanyo Xacti C1. You can look at it here:-

http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertex...-e/1001-e.html

There are newer ones and the web says it weighs 155g but mine measures 177g. Maybe we got a different battery. It records direct to SD card. The only drawback is that it doesn't have video stabilization. If you have the money maybe you can try a C4. You can see that it has a rather odd shape but that actually helps point the camera away from the skids. The best orientation is to point it backwards. I'm so tempted to strip it down and make a custom mount but I'll probably wait till later to do that.

The C1 records at VGA resolution and up to 30fps. I think the Che-Ez! only does 10 or 15fps. I'm not sure how that will affect the smoothness. Secondly the C1 has better optics. I think that's where the real difference is most noticeable. And lastly, it depends on the compression software/settings/options on the camera. I record at the lowest compression/highest quality setting.

It's rather awkward mounting the camera below the T-Rex but I managed to do it with a couple of long velcro straps. Needs a bit of fiddling to get it right though because the camera tends to shut off if you take too long and it is activated mainly by opening up the LCD viewer. You'll understand if you try it.

Concerning the PCM lockout, you can actually hear it in the original video. The moment I lost control, the motor cuts out and it was maybe 3 or 4 seconds before it hit ground. I hit throttle hold after it hit ground but the motor never recovered while in air. I've never programmed the lockout position before but I think I'll have to do it now.

Incidentally, another guy had a lockout that same day in the same location too. He lost his Mustang. Then yet another plane had bad glitches in that spot. I'll bring my scanning equipment there next time to find out what the interference actually is.

Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by UH-1H
                  At least i know how the view like when my heli makes the dive. My T-Rex crahed yesteday too. It was my first outdoor flight. Never flew in such windy condition before. And i never flew that high before.
                  Just remember to have some negative pitch at your low end when you next fly in windy conditions. Many people graduating from FP to CP have their pitch set from 0 degrees or positive degrees at the low end. This is fine for flying at the MSCP and it makes it feel more like the FP. But when you go out to the big field where you get a lot of wind, you will need the negative pitch to bring the heli under control, and you need a lot more headspeed. The guys I see flying around have their HS way low - like 1400 or 1500rpm. Nevertheless, take it slow and easy.

I got off lucky this time, it was VERY windy and the heli hit gravel instead of grass and yet the damage was "minimal".

Daniel

Comment

Where's this place? Nice place to fly..
                    -Feda Dragonfly
                    -Hornet 2
                    -Pilot OK Turmeric
                    -Zoom Zoom 4D
                    -Sceadu EVO 50: OS50, Hatori521, Revmax,
                    -Hornet X3D
                    -Hornet X3D (yet to setup!)
                    -Formosa 1
                    -World Models Spot On 50