Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY ball bearing tail assembly

Ok I was not happy with my tail on my blinged out t rex... so I decided to get a upgrade tail case.

The tail case...
    I got this one from aircraft world and I must say I am impressed with it. the only thing I had to do was swap out the washers that space the tail from the bearing for slightly thicker ones.
    (On another note please look closely at the threads that clamp that hold the tail case on to the boom. one side is 2.5mm threaded and the other is 2mm threaded. Place the 2mm bold through the 2.5mm threaded side and then tighten onto the 2mm side. I my self did not notice that one side was bigger then the other and had mounted the case the wrong way. Thinking that they just threaded it all the way through at 2mm I striped the 2mm side with a small drill!!!!!! ARRRRGH!!! stupid stupid!!! I ended up having to do some different mounting techniques to get it to work but needless to say I got it fixed. )

Any way back to the real mod.....

I was looking at my old ball links that I had on the tail and noticed that the only play was from the minute gap in the ball links and the ball with 4 of these Ball links in the tail they all added up to quite a bit of movement!!!! in the tail fins
    so with a bit of thought I went out and got a set of the 5*2*2.5 align bearings ( you know the ones in the tail assembly) and used some of my old ball links from the original t rex which I wasn't going to use them again anyway.
    I drilled out the centre of the ball link to 5mm with a drill bit and mounted the ball bearing in the middle. I then used some small spaces to make sure that there is no contact with the outside part of the bearing and unwanted friction.
    In the end everything ran smoothly I ended up with a ball bearing push rod with "0" slop and no friction and I also did the ball links from the slider assembly to the tail assembly too .. ( see below)

so all up the mod will cost you about $8.50 sgd and about 30 min of work

please give me a sec the resize function on the pc is not working will upload the pics soon

sorry about the poor english I did this in a rush
    Last edited by Tele; 26-10-2005, 07:33 PM.

here they are

Comment

ohh, finally i understand after reading x times
      great idea, looks great too.

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
      Robotis Bioloid
      Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

Working...
      X