Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Align CF Body Frame Upgrade

Recently upgraded to the Align CF body frame.

Just want to share my setup experience here.

Reference to the photo, you notice that the Align CF body frame had pre-cut slot to accomodate all the servor. What surprise me was that there are no more rocker arm or other mechanical component to transimit to the head assembly for the various movement.

Its just like going back to the old days of Honey Bee where the servo and linkage is directly connected to the head assembly.

I had to make some changes to my tx as well. The difficult parts was to get all the three servos to move in sync up and down. Next was the Aleron and elevator, after few rounds of try and error I got it all fix.

Anybody can share with me what is the swash plate setting of 60 degree represent. I was told by Rotor uncle Mike to do that.

After the assembly when I test flight my new setup, I realised that the movement in the Elevator and Aleron was not as sensitive as compare to my old setup with rocker arm type and other mechanical component. In fact I had to reduce my EPA lower so that it will not be too sensitive.

The movemove as observe in this new setup are more gradual and not that sensitive.

I still find that I have not setup it up properly. Wonder if anybody can share some of their experience with me.

Many thanks

setup

Hi, I am no expert here. Just some observations from the pic.

1 If what the picture is showing is the neutral pt of your servos, I think your swash is riding too high. You may not be able to get the full travel of the swash on the main shaft. ie. 12-0-12 degrees

2 the sluggish movement may be due to this (1) do a mechanical adjustment of say -10 at low stick, 0 at mid stick and +10-12 at full throttle.

3 set up your pitch and throttle curve as prefered.

4 add a couple of collars at the flybar for stability. It worked for me.

5 You may want to change All the capscrews (allen key screws) with better quality ones. Those that came with the frame kit is too soft and strips easily.

6 I noticed (from pic) that the blade grip tightening screws is protruding too much. You may want to grind it down. The lock nuts in it has a nylon ring to help secure the screws. If your strup them, the screws may come off during flight.

Just some observations. I may be wrong. Pls ignore me if I am.

Have fun flying
    When the sun shines, it's Coppertone time!

Comment

Many thanks for the advice

Comment

pleasure

Jerah

If you find that u have difficulty landing the TRex, as in there is too much negative pitch during low stick, u should adjust the pitch/throttle curve to suit.

A linkage/mechanical setting as mentioned (-10 to 12,0 +10 to 12) should actually be good to go for 3D requirements, but may not be suitable for hovering or sport flying. Pls adjust according to needs.

At mid stick or slightly over, u should be able to hover the TRex.

I personally set all my linkages to that setting. I just have to tweak the throttle/pitch curves to suit what I want to do. ie. sport flying or 3D.

I'm not able to do any of those yet(3D, FFF), but the advantages of setting the Trex that way is to leave the option available when the need arises. No need to meddle with those linkages anymore, just adjust the TX according.

Take note that one adjust here and there may affect many other settings.

Example, increase in Head Speed may affect the tail performance.

To avoid confusion, do make ONE adjustment at a time..

Have fun flying
        Just trying to share what limited knowledge I have, learnt
        When the sun shines, it's Coppertone time!

Comment

Hi JerahTeo

What TX u using? For Futaba TX, channel #1 is on left, Ch #2 is on the rear (middle) and Ch #3 is on the right (When head on facing). Swash plate setting is eCCPM 120Degree. In Futaba, it is "SR-3".

Based on the first picture, I can see that at neutral position (Wash out is at the middle travel), your servo arm is way too high. In Neutral position, all 3 servo arms should be in level position so can achieve equal distance throw and speed throw.

Again, from the picture, looks like u using HS-56 for all cyclics. It looks like u using 3rd hole from the center of the servo arm. I would recommend u move all servo arm to the 2nd hole instead. and cut off the excess servo arm. The reason u need to cut it is because when u move to full -ve pitch (full down travel), your servo arm will going to hit the main gear!!!!

For my setting, I use 2nd hole and set all servo arm to be level but slightly higher abit (of course not as high as yours) in order to preven servo arm from hitting the main gear. U can use 1st hold if u want to but u have to check whether will there be any binding or not.

Another thing u should check is that your middle servo (rear) linkage will not hit the swash plate anti-rotation when in full elevator travel, when in full +ve pitch (full upward). Mine does hit the bottom part of the antirotation so I have to cut off the lower horizontal portion of antirotation away to allow middle linkage travel.

The way u mount the battery in that position may cause CG problem (Head heavy) and also may have difficulty of mounting canopy. In Align Carbon Fiber body, the slanted position (Above your current battery) are ment for you to mount either Battery or ESC or RX. If u decided not to mount ESC or RX on that location, u might want to move the battery to that position instead (I using it), U still can put back the horizontal plate (your current battery compartment) but use a shorter (half of what u using) plate instead. That horizontal plate can be use for either ESC/RX mounting or as a bumper/protection for the battery if u head down crash your heli.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Oh... if u using Futaba 9CHP TX, set your End point for all cyclics plus pitch to be 100%. Use "Swash AFR" setting instead. For my AFR setting:
            Aileron = +45%
            Elevator = +45%
            Pitch = +43%

My servo reverse setting are:
            Ail = Rev
            Ele = Rev
            Pit = Nor

Super-Hornet

Comment

Oh.. One more thing.... It is not necessary to have tail servo mounted at the extreme end of boom (Close to tail rotor). It is up to personal preference. For me, i find it is ugly in that position. U put there probably because of CG problem (Which is due to the way u mount your battery) or because u experiencing tail way problem. If u do experiencing tail wagging, then probably it is due to tail slider not smooth enough.

In TRex, when u have non smooth tail sliding, it tend to suffer tail wagging or tail lagging problem.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
                Hi JerahTeo

What TX u using? For Futaba TX, channel #1 is on left, Ch #2 is on the rear (middle) and Ch #3 is on the right (When head on facing). Swash plate setting is eCCPM 120Degree. In Futaba, it is "SR-3".

Super-Hornet
                Found a mistake here, should be ch1, ch2 and ch6(pitch), ch3 is to the esc (throttle).

Its a Great day, lets fly, crawl, and fight.

XRB SR Lama
                Robotis Bioloid
                Robot Bear

<a href="http://asherong.sg">http://asherong.sg</a>

Comment

Oops! Thanks pilot bear. Was in hurrying typing it before I go play computer game.
                  Yup... correct channel should be #6.

Super-Hornet

Comment

Anybody know where to get 13T Pinion with 3mm diameter

Comment

Working...
                    X