Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brushless Motor For Trex

Is there an alternative , beside using Align motor. the 3200KV is drawing too much current and not effective. What other brushless motor do you all used.

Anybody tried hacker, expensive but not so hot I guess. My Align can fried an egg after 10 minutes of continous flying !

Also If I am using the Align 35A ESC, it come with a battery protection to minimise over draining of the Lipo battery by cutting off the power. My question is will this happen in mid air while I am flying ?

ther are several alternatives

Lenner have a very good motor dont know what it is ( number wise) but said to be ther best ( not avaliable in sg )
    Mega 15/16 3 for 3 cells or teh 15/16/4 for 4 cells .( the setup that I have one on 3 cells and one in 4 cells)
    ther is also a new meag about to hit the market made especialy for the t rex ..Ah tat was telling me today.

anon motors
    Neu motors etc ect ther are quite a few.

if your esc cuts out in mid air ...your heli will drop like a 700g stone

Comment

Lehner 1020/17 Available from b-p-p.com, wait for free shipping

I'll say take the lehner if u have the money, because it is slight more powerful(not proven by me but by remarks from RR) then the mega 3, but it is around 15g lighter. 15g is a lot for a microheli !! believe it or not But it is almost twice the price :P

If not, go for mega 3 as recommended by tele This is for 3S setup, i don't think you'll go for 4S any time soon.

Btw, i believe that Lehner runs cooler then mega, mega is real hot. Oh yea, for running these motors, you need a high amp draw battery. EG: 2000mah or close to it. You can try Thunder Power 2100, Kokam 2000 or Etecs 1900. Most of us use 1700, but it burns after a 9 min flight because the discharge cannot match the motor's amp draw.

Comment

Then another motor alternative will be JustGoFly 450TH. Some uses 450DH but according to JGF, it is too powerful for TRex. (In terms of speed and current consumption)

Super-Hornet

Comment

Why nobody mention about Hacker. I had email to them and they came back to me that for Trex the best Hacker to use is Hacker B20-15L.

Anybody know the configuration for this motor and pinion to use.

Comment

not good

Just my obsevation:
            I personally burned two Hacker B20-18L last week. Once you go for the latest higer C ( PolyQuest 1800 20C ) and try to get more power it will draw too much current and burn the Hacker.
            May be 15L will be better but both are rated the same as max 18A for 30sec and 12A continuous and can deliver only 190W.

I would say no...Just got two 450TH and will try it out hopefully this weekend.
            Let you know how it go.

Jonathan

Comment

The Hacker is "max 18A for 30sec and 12A continuous and can deliver only 190W."? Then me also think not suitable for TRex.

Just my obsevation also, I feel that TRex require OutRunner motor for the torque. Mega is a InRunner motor but at least it is slot type (cogging effect when u spin the shaft because the coil is wounded onto a metal stator. Example of "Coil only inrunner" motor are Himaxx HA2025 and most GS motor)

BTW... Hacker B20-18L is inrunner slotless right?

Super-Hornet

Comment

I Learn from Ah Tat that they will be bring in the Mega motor but not sure when. According to him the Mega 1615/4 with four cells will work better and reduce this overheating problem.

I also learn that SHS is carrying Cyclone. Any body have any record on Cyclone with TREX.

Boy really getting nuts with this overheating problems hope somebody can find a match and fix soon.

Comment

Overheating ? is it so hot that your ESC shuts down ? If so, maybe you will need to relocate the place where u mount ur esc. If it is motor that is hot, use a temp gun. If it is around 60+-70, it is quite normal for align and mega motors.

Comment

Already shift the ESC to the side where strong wind will be blasting down from the main blade !

Comment

450TH Update

Hi,

Had 4 packs hovering and simple left/right/up/down and this motor really feel with lots of power. However I am getting 6mins from 1800 Polyquest and it will go into soft cut-off. Using CC 1.161 beta firmware which is say to draw a lot of current and cut short flight time by as much as 30% from RCGroup. Will bring down to 1.151 beta to try tomorrow.

HS at 70% govern Throttle setting getting approx 2400 rpm.

regards,
                      Jonathan

Comment

Hi Johnathan

That is one hell of good motor for 3S only. According to Runryder, most of them say it is too fast for 4S. Some recoil/rewound it for 4S instead.

As for your firmware and flight time, Try use firmware of v1.14 instead. Yes, v1.16 not efficient and eat current. I saw your heli and manually spin your heli's rotor head and I would say it is stiff/frictional. Maybe that causes your heli eat current like cookies. Maybe u want to fix it first.

Super-Hornet

Comment

tks

Super-Hornet,

I got the heli's rotor head and I would say it is stiff/frictional solved last night. Was getting 4 mins before.

Will probably try 1.151 first as it suppose to solve some problem.

Version 1.15 Beta 6/14/05
                          This release may help decrease controller heating on the Phoenix-10 and Phoenix-25 when running certain small, high turn count, outrunner/prop combinations.

Version 1.14 Final 4/28/05
                          Decreased governor mode expected input range from (1ms to 2ms) to (1.125ms to 1.875ms) because some transmitters were unable to generate throttle signals as low as 1ms or as high as 2ms

reg,
                          Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by JYHELI
                            Just my obsevation:
                            I personally burned two Hacker B20-18L last week. Once you go for the latest higer C ( PolyQuest 1800 20C ) and try to get more power it will draw too much current and burn the Hacker.
                            May be 15L will be better but both are rated the same as max 18A for 30sec and 12A continuous and can deliver only 190W.

Jonathan
                            A report by a very experienced flyer (AnnihilaT) in RR reported the Hacker B20 15L to be a superb motor. You may refer to the thread:

I've been following his posting, so far his reports appear reliable. His is also the boss of MFIS, an european company that manufactures upgrade parts for the TRex.
                            "The ground is my best teacher but not exactly my favourite"

Comment

Agreed but still 450TH

Piccolo,
                              I agreed with him about the sound of Hacker is great. But I did burn two of my B20-18L ( not 15L) , may be due to my setup.

Anyway, between $200+ Hacker and 45-TH $85...the answer is clear.

Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X