Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Super-Hornet
    In Brushed motor, 3 parts will heat up.
    1 - Motor Coil heat up due to current passing through it.
    2 - Magnet heat up from hot motor coil
    3 - Brushes heat up from from contact and rubbing.

When u put heat sink onto motor, it only helps cool down the magnet. Actually it doesn't really help much in extending the motor life span due to normally the magnet can withstand up to 150Degree Celcius before it started to looses its magnetism. It doesnt help cool down the coil and brushes due to it is too far and no direct contact to the heat sink.

Normally in brushes motor, it dies off due to brushess contact suffers from wear and tear. That is why for brushes motor, the motor wear up actually quite fast. Ask those who play R/C racing car during brushes motor era on how often they change the motor or its brushes?

In Brushless motor, there is no movable contact point (except bearing) so the life span can go very long.

Super-Hornet
    Yea , I agree with your explaination ... but what I'm suggesting is that , since HBT is using 280 motor , if we replace it with 370 or 380 then would it last longer ... what I mean is that the larger motor can easily handle 8.4 battery easily ... no overloading , hummmm ... I'm applying layman tot again
    Esky HBT
    Esky Lama V3
    Walkera #4 (honey bee fp clone)
    Walkera #22D (MS Hornet 2 clone)
    Walkera #35 (Zap400 clone)
    Walkera #36 (mix zap400 / trex clone)
    Walkera #60 (all metal airframe)
    Align Trex XL HDE
    MiniTitan E325
    ARK X-450

Comment

Originally posted by Salem
      Yea , I agree with your explaination ... but what I'm suggesting is that , since HBT is using 280 motor , if we replace it with 370 or 380 then would it last longer ... what I mean is that the larger motor can easily handle 8.4 battery easily ... no overloading , hummmm ... I'm applying layman tot again
      Where to get the 370 or 380 motor?

Actually I understand what you guys mean but I would think that having heatsinks do help.

Before I used heatsinks my motors took very long to cool down. Heatsinks help quite a bit. I bought them before anything burns out. I got 2 because (stupid manufacturer) made the heatsink so small, you need 2 to sufficiently cover the area. That's prob one reason why some pple find heatsinks not effective.

I'm also a computer buff and I clean motor surface to shiny before applying thermal compound (grease) and attaching the heatsinks to maximise heat transfer. Heatsinks work much better that way.
      "Keep Fly'in Till They're Dry."
      Mini Titan E325 SE Version
      Full CNC Metal Rotor and Tail
      Futaba GY401/Futaba 9257
      Hitec Optic 6 Electron/HS65HB
      Maiden on 26 Aug 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Heliguy
        Where to get the 370 or 380 motor?

Actually I understand what you guys mean but I would think that having heatsinks do help.

Before I used heatsinks my motors took very long to cool down. Heatsinks help quite a bit. I bought them before anything burns out. I got 2 because (stupid manufacturer) made the heatsink so small, you need 2 to sufficiently cover the area. That's prob one reason why some pple find heatsinks not effective.

I'm also a computer buff and I clean motor surface to shiny before applying thermal compound (grease) and attaching the heatsinks to maximise heat transfer. Heatsinks work much better that way.
        Bro ... After reading all over the world regarding heli electric ,

I may conclude that .... 280 motor for up to 8.4 running and 370/380 for 11.2 running ... this is the spec for the motor according to them , again my silly tot
        Esky HBT
        Esky Lama V3
        Walkera #4 (honey bee fp clone)
        Walkera #22D (MS Hornet 2 clone)
        Walkera #35 (Zap400 clone)
        Walkera #36 (mix zap400 / trex clone)
        Walkera #60 (all metal airframe)
        Align Trex XL HDE
        MiniTitan E325
        ARK X-450

Comment

Hi all again

What I'm trying to say is that, since u using brushes motor, u have to prepare to change motor once in a while due to wear and tear.

Bigger motor normally can withstand higher voltage and current due to more surface area and more wire turns or/and more thicker wire. Brushes als bigger/thicker and thus last longer even in higher voltage/current.

More heat sinks means it cool motor faster but again, if lets say your motor is within the 100Degree celcius, adding heat sink also meaning carrying excess weight (waste battery energy)

Remember most of us agree that HBT or HBCP is mend for learning purpose. Once u are good at it, it is time for u go bigger chopper/bird

Edit: Last time we don't have TRex/Zoom/X-400 Heli and Hornet II is considered expensive. That is why most of us can only affort to extend/mod our FP heli to a better performance. Nowadays 400size heli like TRex or any competitor is cheaper compare to last time, so instead of wasting your money upgrading HBT, why not save that money for a better/bigger heli instead?

Super-Hornet

Comment

hi super-hornet
            i second ur thot on buying a bigger heli than modding it... need to experience flying the bigger birds to really feel the difference. just my 2 cents worth. cos in the end, if u intend to stay in helis, sure will move on to bigger birds.
            Originally posted by Super-Hornet
            Hi all again

What I'm trying to say is that, since u using brushes motor, u have to prepare to change motor once in a while due to wear and tear.

Bigger motor normally can withstand higher voltage and current due to more surface area and more wire turns or/and more thicker wire. Brushes als bigger/thicker and thus last longer even in higher voltage/current.

More heat sinks means it cool motor faster but again, if lets say your motor is within the 100Degree celcius, adding heat sink also meaning carrying excess weight (waste battery energy)

Remember most of us agree that HBT or HBCP is mend for learning purpose. Once u are good at it, it is time for u go bigger chopper/bird

Edit: Last time we don't have TRex/Zoom/X-400 Heli and Hornet II is considered expensive. That is why most of us can only affort to extend/mod our FP heli to a better performance. Nowadays 400size heli like TRex or any competitor is cheaper compare to last time, so instead of wasting your money upgrading HBT, why not save that money for a better/bigger heli instead?

Super-Hornet
            Hover: STILL many many
            FF: so-so; fig 8s, nose-in hover
            Crash (Major): 4
            Back to flying... let the goods times roll

Comment

Working...
            X