Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Question

Hi, apologies for bumping in.
    I am a newbie with RC world and just got myself an electric heli (Walkera master cp). Actually overwhelmed by the amount of switches on the transmitter (devo7) and frustrated as the user manual does not explain what they do (my mistake for buying Chinese products).

Is there anyone coming to this event willing to share a quick lesson on radio control for heli - in particular the devo 7 with Master CP?
    I promise I'm a fast learner and would be forever grateful!

Sorry to ask but what event are you refering to ?

Comment

moderator decided to move my post from original location, now ppl read and dont know what I am talking about.

The event is the CD field meeting posted here:

Anyone going to this, that can assist?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcool View Post
        moderator decided to move my post from original location, now ppl read and dont know what I am talking about.

The event is the CD field meeting posted here:

Anyone going to this, that can assist?
        I have used devo 7(mode 1) with mini cp before, have sold away due to upgrade to 450 sized. Maybe I can help? Probably not necessary CD field? I stay in the east. probably some hdb void deck got some seat and set up the devo 7. Let me know if I can help. I would love to see master cp in action.

Comment

great! I'd PM you to coordinate, likely Sat morning?
          I mostly need help understanding about the different switches.

Comment

rchobbyfly is right, such small heli not suitable to fly at CD field. The wind could blow it away easily.
            It is better that you ask for help at the DH forum here. Im sure many senior bros will help, just like rchobbyfly.
            Everyone has to start this hobby as newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by dt2133 View Post
              rchobbyfly is right, such small heli not suitable to fly at CD field. The wind could blow it away easily.
              It is better that you ask for help at the DH forum here. Im sure many senior bros will help, just like rchobbyfly.
              dont know.. all I need is guidance - with or without actual flying.

I found this on other forum - its the kind of help i need:
              Gear switch - Gear can be set to timer or use as a aux channel..
              Aux2 nob - Aux2 is for what ever you hook to the rx but most people use it for the tail Gyro gain...
              Hold /TRN switch - Hold /TRN is the throttle hold or if using for a trainer box
              Mix - Mix is for activating any channel mixes you have programmed in
              D/R is for dual rates ...high or low depending on how you have it set in the menu
              FMD is the flight mode switch or as most people call it Stunt Mode ...

Comment

The switches/knobs are just programmable input devices, i.e. you can assign each switch/knob to a particular function, such as tail gyro gain control, etc. Take the tail gain control for example, most people assign the gain control function to either the Gear Switch or the Aux 2 Switch, but you can assign it to other switches if you want. The "Gear Switch" and "Aux 2 Knob" are just the name of the input device. In other Tx, Aux 2 input is switch rather than a knob. Personally I would not recommend that you use the Aux 2 Knob as a tail gain control as you can accidentally touch the knob and change the gain value without you knowing. It would be better to use the Gear Switch and adjust the gain value in the Tx.

Anyway, Im not sure what is your question. If your problem is not sure which switch/knob to assign the function to, here is my suggestion:

Gear switch -> Tail gain control
                Aux 2 knob -> not use
                Hold/TRN switch -> Throttle hold
                Mix -> not use
                D/R Switch -> For beginner, not use
                FMD Switch -> Flight mode. For beginner, set all the pitch curves to be the same. Try not to set any negative pitch yet.

I know as a newbie, there are just too many things to learn, and it can be very frustrating. You need a lot of patience in this leaning process.

Perhaps, you can ask more specific questions here. It will help people who are trying to help,

Comment

Sorry, you need to use the D/R Switch. For beginner, set all the D/R Expos to 30% in the Tx as a start.

Comment

post a link which i used for reference in mini cp

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=21

Comment

Originally posted by dt2133 View Post
                      The switches/knobs are just programmable input devices, i.e. you can assign each switch/knob to a particular function, such as tail gyro gain control, etc. Take the tail gain control for example, most people assign the gain control function to either the Gear Switch or the Aux 2 Switch, but you can assign it to other switches if you want. The "Gear Switch" and "Aux 2 Knob" are just the name of the input device. In other Tx, Aux 2 input is switch rather than a knob. Personally I would not recommend that you use the Aux 2 Knob as a tail gain control as you can accidentally touch the knob and change the gain value without you knowing. It would be better to use the Gear Switch and adjust the gain value in the Tx.

Anyway, Im not sure what is your question. If your problem is not sure which switch/knob to assign the function to, here is my suggestion:

Gear switch -> Tail gain control
                      Aux 2 knob -> not use
                      Hold/TRN switch -> Throttle hold
                      Mix -> not use
                      D/R Switch -> For beginner, not use
                      FMD Switch -> Flight mode. For beginner, set all the pitch curves to be the same. Try not to set any negative pitch yet.

I know as a newbie, there are just too many things to learn, and it can be very frustrating. You need a lot of patience in this leaning process.

Perhaps, you can ask more specific questions here. It will help people who are trying to help,
                      Thanks, i'd be more specific.
                      the RTFM method does not work as walkera manual is lacking info like - what is tail gain control, what is throttle hold and when to use it (for example - as part of safety procedures I assume?), the dual rate - understand it would make any input into half when switched on. they also dont explain how to use normal mode, st1/2 mode - which in forums i found out u should never switch when your heli is turned on.

all of this is bits and pieces - if you wont mention that gear switch is usually set to use for tail gain control - i wont even know there is such a thing - tail gain control. I dont recall that in the manual (is it under the receiver section?) and if its there - its buried below tons of confusing info.

Comment

Just sharing my experiences below which may be a little off topic.

I picked up my helis without reading or understanding the "theories". I had thought I'm smart so I could learn them as I go along, sort of like On-Job-Training. Then I realized it was tough as many things didn't make sense. Eventually, I had to read up.

Reading up wasn't easy either. Some sites do not explain clearly as I had found them ambiguous. My "big break" came when I met up with folks and attended "live" lessons. But the lessons could not be possible without me first having some basic understanding of what's going on. The lessons were more of a Q&A session to clarify confusing concepts than 40-minute lectures.

So what am I driving at? I think it may be a good idea to read up on the "hardcore theories". Most likely you won't need all that knowledge to fly a Master CP, but it does explain a lot of stuff that you would benefit later on. I had many eureka moments when I revisited my helis after self studying.

Through basic tutorials, articles, lessons on RC helis, you should understand what's dual rate, gyro gain, throttle hold (I find this an extremely good way to save money!) and many other more confusing stuff like swash mix. Well, we could type all the definitions here, or you could learn them from detailed articles written for beginners.
                        Helicopters: KDS 450QS+Tarot 450FL+ZYX4.0, XK K120, HiSKY HCP100S, HP100BL, V922, HCP80
                        Multirotors: Wingsland MiniVet, CX-20, NightHawk Pro 280, ROA Parkour 280, Eachine Falcon 250, Eachine Racer 250, Eachine Assassin 180, Tarot TL130H1, DP4X-124, Skyartec Butterfly
                        Planes: Volantex 757-4, F16 EDF, F959, F939, HiSKY HFW400
                        Transmitter: Taranis X9D+

Comment

Originally posted by FyreSG View Post
                          Just sharing my experiences below which may be a little off topic.

I picked up my helis without reading or understanding the "theories". I had thought I'm smart so I could learn them as I go along, sort of like On-Job-Training. Then I realized it was tough as many things didn't make sense. Eventually, I had to read up.

Reading up wasn't easy either. Some sites do not explain clearly as I had found them ambiguous. My "big break" came when I met up with folks and attended "live" lessons. But the lessons could not be possible without me first having some basic understanding of what's going on. The lessons were more of a Q&A session to clarify confusing concepts than 40-minute lectures.

So what am I driving at? I think it may be a good idea to read up on the "hardcore theories". Most likely you won't need all that knowledge to fly a Master CP, but it does explain a lot of stuff that you would benefit later on. I had many eureka moments when I revisited my helis after self studying.

Through basic tutorials, articles, lessons on RC helis, you should understand what's dual rate, gyro gain, throttle hold (I find this an extremely good way to save money!) and many other more confusing stuff like swash mix. Well, we could type all the definitions here, or you could learn them from detailed articles written for beginners.
                          been reading a lot - forums, different sites like http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/ I read this beginner manual rc helicopter by the Japanese guy, I encountered and read all of the RC wiki http://www.rcheliwiki.com/Main_Page.. my wife already complaining i spend too much time on those forums.

those live sessions - u did in a club or on the field meetings?

Comment

I've enraged my wife many times over my devotion to heli readings, forums, tinkering, and actual flying. I know its tough, haha! If you had read that two great sites, you would have a basic understanding the keywords that you raised earlier - e.g. tail gain, throttle hold. Being able to ask specific question on what's the confusion is about, would really help.

You could join meet ups aka fun fly events. I'm only familiar with the one at Queenstown. If you're convenient to drop by my area, we could meet up for chat. I enjoy sharing what I know about RC heli basics, even though I'm a beginner myself! Haha.
                            Helicopters: KDS 450QS+Tarot 450FL+ZYX4.0, XK K120, HiSKY HCP100S, HP100BL, V922, HCP80
                            Multirotors: Wingsland MiniVet, CX-20, NightHawk Pro 280, ROA Parkour 280, Eachine Falcon 250, Eachine Racer 250, Eachine Assassin 180, Tarot TL130H1, DP4X-124, Skyartec Butterfly
                            Planes: Volantex 757-4, F16 EDF, F959, F939, HiSKY HFW400
                            Transmitter: Taranis X9D+

Comment

Originally posted by FyreSG View Post
                              I've enraged my wife many times over my devotion to heli readings, forums, tinkering, and actual flying. I know its tough, haha! If you had read that two great sites, you would have a basic understanding the keywords that you raised earlier - e.g. tail gain, throttle hold. Being able to ask specific question on what's the confusion is about, would really help.

You could join meet ups aka fun fly events. I'm only familiar with the one at Queenstown. If you're convenient to drop by my area, we could meet up for chat. I enjoy sharing what I know about RC heli basics, even though I'm a beginner myself! Haha.
                              I guess most of us did the enraging part.

Comment

Working...
                              X