Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 or 500?

Hi all,

My friend and I would like to start rc heli flying and we wondered which size is more suitable for us. I used to fly planes and only co-ax heli.

Please advise.

Ben
    Plane 1:
    FreeWing F-15
    Stock and modded with speed brake mod

Plane 2:
    GWS Blue Angels C-130 (EDF)
    Stock and modded with cargo doors

Control System:Futaba 9CHP 72MHZ

500, a good trade between size and cost of repairs
    A hobby turned Addiction
    Micros
    Iphone controlled fixed pitch heli ,Genius Cp ,Mini Cp ,V120D02s ,V120D02s ,Stupid 200 heli from Hobby Square

Minis
    Trex 250 pro ,HobbyKing 450Pro stretched 480 ,HDX Superframe 450 stretch to 480 ,Mini Titan FL V2 ,Protos stretch

Standard
    Trex 550 v2 ,Trex 550 v2 stretch to 600 ,Logo 600SE Carbon ,Goblin 700

Coming
    Compass Warp 360

Maybe
    Goblin 500 , Protos 700

Comment

Originally posted by JieZ View Post
      Hi all,

My friend and I would like to start rc heli flying and we wondered which size is more suitable for us. I used to fly planes and only co-ax heli.

Please advise.

Ben
      500 size is more stable compare to 450 but replacement parts will be more expensive. Batt for 500 is 6s while 450 uses 3s. Depend on yr budget, if budget allows get 500 size. For me I started with 400 honeybee king 2 then 450, lastly 500. Going thru this path I actually spend more. When you put all 3 heli price together, u can actually buy a good 500 size heli.
      Heli
      1 - Flip360 quad with APM 2.6.

Plane
      1 - Durafly P-51 Mustang - Nice scale details and stable in the air
      Tx
      Frsky Taranis X9D

Comment

450 for me. I went from hirobo xrb to honeybee to belt cp to mini titans to trex500 to rex600 then returned to rex250 then now at 450. Why? cos the lipos & crashes are much easier on the wallet. A crash on a 600 bird can easily buy a 450 kit and if the 600 crash is serious, repair cost can buy a rtf 450 bird. go do the math and if TS stay near tamp, drop me a pm, I can show you the difference in size. If got poor eyesight then go BIG, in retrospect if gt poor eyesight, spend on new glasses first and not on big birds.
        Heli-ADDICTION:
        Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
        JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Definitely 500 size and once flew the bigger size you will never look back.
          Too many helis!

Comment

Depends on ur budget I would say.

Small budget n wana feel only = 450size

Bigger pocket/wallet = 500size

But HK500 is pretty cheap to start with too. I run my 500size helis on 4S lipo. My 600size heli on 8S lipo and 700size heli on 12S lipo. All using the same 4S lipo pack."thumbup5:

Comment

Our budget is about $600 for ARF. I read up abit and realise that the 500 will aid because it is less responsive. Am I right on this?
              If 500 size can run on 4s, then it'll probably save my wallet a little. I dint know 500 can run 4s as webstores always states 6s.

Ben
              Plane 1:
              FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail...DBD25000}&pn=1

i don't think with this price at year 2007 i can get it.

or

http://shop.rotor.com.sg/show-detail...02B801B2}&pn=1
                JR9XII PCM 72.xxx n XPS n FRSKY 2.4GHz

me is " Kancheong spider "

Comment

No advice on 450 or 500 size...

Hi all,

As a newbie, I find flying a 4-channel fixed pitch to be a good starting point. Get familiarised with the controls as it might be confusing when the heli is facing you (nose in). I also resisted simulators but in the end I tried it and I must say it is really very useful. Should have practised on it more before crashing my real heli.

That's all I know.
                  Helicopters: KDS 450QS+Tarot 450FL+ZYX4.0, XK K120, HiSKY HCP100S, HP100BL, V922, HCP80
                  Multirotors: Wingsland MiniVet, CX-20, NightHawk Pro 280, ROA Parkour 280, Eachine Falcon 250, Eachine Racer 250, Eachine Assassin 180, Tarot TL130H1, DP4X-124, Skyartec Butterfly
                  Planes: Volantex 757-4, F16 EDF, F959, F939, HiSKY HFW400
                  Transmitter: Taranis X9D+

Comment

I guess it is up to your own preference as u can learn on both helis

450 can be almost as stable too as a 500 if u stretch it.. some 450 helis has a stretch kit
                    Like what Bro henry said, sometimes flying a 450 can really test your eyes....

Parts wise in terms of moolah, the only time i really feel the difference are the blades.

Anyway, just go what u most comfortable with .... most important is to get one and start learning
                    sigpicWhy give yourself boundaries when the world has none...

Comment

Our budget is about $600 for ARF. I read up abit and realise that the 500 will aid because it is less responsive. Am I right on this?
                      If 500 size can run on 4s, then it'll probably save my wallet a little. I dint know 500 can run 4s as webstores always states 6s.

Ben
                      I have three 500size helis and all run on 4S lipo setup. One HDX500 and two HK500.

One HK500 :
                      Motor - Zpower Z15A 1950kv

ESC - TT 65A
                      Pinion - 17T
                      Headspeed governered to 2200rpm

Another HK500 :
                      Motor - Scorpion HK3026 1900kv
                      ESC - CC ICE 75A
                      Pinion - 17T
                      Headspeed governered to 2200rpm

HDX500 :
                      Motor - Hacker A30-10XL 900kv
                      ESC - CC 45A
                      Pinion - 24T
                      Headspeed governered to 2400rpm

Comment

Quick question, which will be more suitable for scale when I intend to add a fuselage next time? I am more of a scale person.

Ben
                        Plane 1:
                        FreeWing F-15

Plane 2:

Comment

For scale I love my T600 more than the one built around T500 becos it looks so much bigger in the air.
                          If you are doing scale, try the AH-1H.
                          Too many helis!

Comment

Quick question, which will be more suitable for scale when I intend to add a fuselage next time? I am more of a scale person.

Ben
                            Between 450 n 500 scale............I would go for 500 scale. Bigger and easier to build.

One of my HK500 is in a 30size Jet Ranger.

The HDX500 was in my scale airwolf.

Comment

Any Sim time?

if you have any sim time then to me 500...but if no, maybe neither and focus on sim...you'll save a lot of $$$...but seeing that you're experience plane flyer, maybe you already have some sim time...but to me 500size is definitely my vote...cheers
                              Gravity Always Wins.....

Comment

Working...
                              X