Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dilemma between Helis for newbie

Hi guys,
    Just started with the heli so I am a complete newbie.. just bought a flight sim and DX8 .. now looking to buy a new kit... so here is the dilemma..

Initially wanted to get 450 Pro.. but not particularly fond of the overall built and I like to buy parts to piece it together..

ATOM 500 - 80% built but I am bit intimidated by the size but hey the parts can be bought locally when I crash.. but the cost of buying the 6S will push the price upwards..

MIni PRotos 450 - like the sound and look but...seems to be flimsy.. but when I work out the cost of the kit ,servos and electronics excluding the batteries.. it differs from the ATOM 500 by a few dollars..

Then I flew the RAVE 450 on the flight sim.. boy it is super stable and it looked awesome compared to the rest of the helis.. so is it that good and how is it compared to the Mini Protos and the BEAM V2.. I kinda of guess that the parts for RAVE 450 is pretty much non existent here .. I dont mind the BEAM too.. if it is as good.. so anyone want to give their 2 cents worth..

THanks a million

Joe Tay

yes a 500size heli will be more stable then a 450 but my first heli was a 450...and yes i crash as i was training but not during hovering stage but when i started figure8's...i thank the simulator for not crashing during the hovering stage...but back to the topic...if u crash a 500size heli, parts will be definitely more $$$ then a 450 crash for example blades...but if your choice is trex450pro or a miniprotos then i would say mini protos as it is belt not torque tube....my personal choice for a 450 would be the Trex450Sport super combo....which ever u choose and if it makes u happy then go for it...cheers and welcome to the rc heli community...good luck
    Gravity Always Wins.....

Comment

The Rave 450 runs on 360 mm blades.

The mini protos runs on 325 mm blades. A stretched kit will be out soon.

The first thing you need to do before learning on the simulator, before finding out the crash cost,

is to learn how to use the 'search' button to look for forum threads where many other people gave comments about all 3 of the helis you are choosing, AFTER they have flown it.

Comment

Originally posted by MicroHeli-Nut View Post
        The Rave 450 runs on 360 mm blades.

The mini protos runs on 325 mm blades. A stretched kit will be out soon.

The first thing you need to do before learning on the simulator, before finding out the crash cost,

is to learn how to use the 'search' button to look for forum threads where many other people gave comments about all 3 of the helis you are choosing, AFTER they have flown it.
        Actually I did search through.. had been researching for over a month.. unfortunately in Singapore.. I did not see anyone make a comparison on the above 3 directly.. furthermore.. there are too many people prefering one or the other to the point in the overseas sites.. so I thought any local help might help.. anyways.. I know what I woud like.. wonder if anyone knows there are LHS carrying the Rave 450 or BEAM parts. I know RCE and RC Sports does not carry them unless I am wrong..otherwise will lean towards Mini Protos..

Thanks for your hel anyways

Comment

Originally posted by mahathyr View Post
          yes a 500size heli will be more stable then a 450 but my first heli was a 450...and yes i crash as i was training but not during hovering stage but when i started figure8's...i thank the simulator for not crashing during the hovering stage...but back to the topic...if u crash a 500size heli, parts will be definitely more $$$ then a 450 crash for example blades...but if your choice is trex450pro or a miniprotos then i would say mini protos as it is belt not torque tube....my personal choice for a 450 would be the Trex450Sport super combo....which ever u choose and if it makes u happy then go for it...cheers and welcome to the rc heli community...good luck

Thanks Bro.. I know where I should lean my purchase towards ..

Comment

If u are a beginners... I think using belt driven is a better selections because:
            1. For typical torque tube driven, the heli is straight line tail rotor configuration. (Tail rotor is in line to the tail boom. Because of that, the tail rotor is easier to hit the ground/grass. Because of that, the tail gearing system is easier to destroy when hit the ground. In belt design, the belt will "jump" or skip when it hit the ground (unless it is a hard impact that will bend the tail shaft).
            2. Torque tube configuration in TRex has a tail ratio of 4x (I think Logo also). Meaning, u need to spin the main rotor at higher RPM in order to have a good tail authority. Having 4x ratio...I find that it is way too low.

Above is just my humble opinion.

SH

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet View Post
              If u are a beginners... I think using belt driven is a better selections because:
              1. For typical torque tube driven, the heli is straight line tail rotor configuration. (Tail rotor is in line to the tail boom. Because of that, the tail rotor is easier to hit the ground/grass. Because of that, the tail gearing system is easier to destroy when hit the ground. In belt design, the belt will "jump" or skip when it hit the ground (unless it is a hard impact that will bend the tail shaft).
              2. Torque tube configuration in TRex has a tail ratio of 4x (I think Logo also). Meaning, u need to spin the main rotor at higher RPM in order to have a good tail authority. Having 4x ratio...I find that it is way too low.

Above is just my humble opinion.

SH

Thank you.. I will go for a belt drive so prob Mini Protos.. not too fond of Align.. so not much choice given the parts availability.. have to wait till I fly better with 450 before the big plunge to 500 and.. so on and so forth..

Comment

Originally posted by twahidin View Post
                .. so not much choice given the parts availability....
                Why did u say that? Is it really no stock for typical 450Sport spare parts in Singapore?
                It being long time since my last visit to "Rotor Hobby".. during the last visits (which is quite sometime back , they still have a lot of Align's TRex spare parts. Not sure what is the situation now.

U also can online order parts from overseas as well...which quite a number of overseas shop (Hong Kong and Taiwan) do carries Align TRex450 parts. U can also use the "clone" parts...which from what I see, there are a lot of "clone" Align TRex450 parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet View Post
                  Why did u say that? Is it really no stock for typical 450Sport spare parts in Singapore?
                  It being long time since my last visit to "Rotor Hobby".. during the last visits (which is quite sometime back , they still have a lot of Align's TRex spare parts. Not sure what is the situation now.

U also can online order parts from overseas as well...which quite a number of overseas shop (Hong Kong and Taiwan) do carries Align TRex450 parts. U can also use the "clone" parts...which from what I see, there are a lot of "clone" Align TRex450 parts.
                  Sorry.. I meant that for the other helis BEAM and RAVE.. the parts are not available locally so if "picha" must order online and wait for a few days..etc..but for Align.. pretty all shops who sells the heli kit have the spare parts. I might still purchase an ATOM 500 if some sifu who would accept a new disciple would like to guide me on how to set up nicely for beginners.. I live in the west. Otherwise might stick with a smaller heli and experiment on my own.. Thanks

Comment

Hi bro,

im also quite new into RC heli.. But i tried both trex 450 sports n mini protos.

For me as a newbie, i prefer the mini protos as it is much more stable with gy520 futaba gyro. And the best thing, it is more quieter then the trex 450.
                    Looks is sweeeeet too! + point

I guess both are good heli... But I like the mini protos more..
                    sigpicWhy give yourself boundaries when the world has none...

Comment

Originally posted by ricche View Post
                      Hi bro,

im also quite new into RC heli.. But i tried both trex 450 sports n mini protos.

For me as a newbie, i prefer the mini protos as it is much more stable with gy520 futaba gyro. And the best thing, it is more quieter then the trex 450.
                      Looks is sweeeeet too! + point

I guess both are good heli... But I like the mini protos more..
                      Thank... hmm guess it is the mini Protos or Atom 500 then... by the way what batteries are you using and how much are they and the battery charger what is good? Planning to move into 6S in the future later..

Comment

currently im using 2200 3s 27c .

From what I know, I can series it running on 2 packs as I have plans to upgrade it to the 500 protos..

Since im a newbie... I don't think i be doing 3D yet so for gentle flying .. I think it should be enough for me..

If i'm wrong , pls correct my info
                        sigpicWhy give yourself boundaries when the world has none...

Comment

i think ricche is right that protos is nice.. and building it from scratch actually help you to know more in the future.. in terms of repair if require.

by the way ricche you fix the heli yourself?
                          J.S Carlos

Hanger
                          • Goblin 500
                          • Copter X SE 480 - 3s HeliDrive 3600KV - Robird FBL
                          • MSH Protos 500 Low Hub Stretched - Brain FBL
                          • Spirex - TriCopter - Pcs of Crap Hanging on the Wall

Tx
                          • 8fgs
                          • Devo7
                          • Devo7e

Comment

To add on.. if i going for a 450 .. i might just chose align t rex pro v2 3gx but like above mentioned.. it is not belt driven and it is flybarless. which i target a mini protos you need about 500 to 550 depend on your gear?
                            J.S Carlos

Hanger
                            • Goblin 500

Tx
                            • 8fgs
                            • Devo7
                            • Devo7e

Comment

ohh not forgetting to get some hex screw driver and pitch gauge and battery.. plus he need a charger.. so may be you need to calculate carefully in terms of budget..

spares like blades you also need to think of it..
                              J.S Carlos

Hanger
                              • Goblin 500

Tx
                              • 8fgs
                              • Devo7
                              • Devo7e

Comment

Working...
                              X