Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is gyro gain...wat does it do?

heard many times bout ppl commenting "too much gain" be it real life or responding to a video clip. had fail to understnd thru readin. can anyone relates in layman terms? and also can anyone explaon the following paragraph??
    Lift the helicopter, vibrate its head to the left. (If the tail servo moves to the left when the
    tail servo linkage rod of the transmitter moves to the same direction, the gyro direction is
    correct.) If the direction is not correct, please switch the direction switch.

Gain and servo direction totally different issue

Originally posted by roygbiv View Post
    heard many times bout ppl commenting "too much gain" be it real life or responding to a video clip. had fail to understnd thru readin. can anyone relates in layman terms? and also can anyone explaon the following paragraph??
    Lift the helicopter, vibrate its head to the left. (If the tail servo moves to the left when the
    tail servo linkage rod of the transmitter moves to the same direction, the gyro direction is
    Hanger
    Hirobo XRB SR Lama
    Hirobo Quark SRB
    Hirobo Quark SRB SG
    Eflite Blade SR (For Display)
    Blade450 3D
    MSH Mini Protos (SOLD)
    COMPASS 6HV (Combat Fit PES A)

Plane
    Dynam PBY Catalina 1.4m
    FMS J3 Cub 1.4m
    Artech F14 Tomcat EDF
    HK FLYJET EDF
    Artech Skyfun
    Dynam P51D Mustang
    Parkzone P51

Tx:
    Futaba 6J 2.4GHz(SOLD)
    Spektrum DX6i
    DX8
    Futaba 9CAP

Comment

For the Gain of a gyro, it is the amount of correction applied to keep the heading of a heli constant, in the absence of input from the pilot. So "too much gain"... the heli will often over-correct and a common symptom is tail wagging, when the correction to one side overshoots, prompting re-correction to the other side, overshoot again, and so on.

Tail servo direction, another completely different matter. Rather than memorising which direction the linkage rod should move, you got to understand how the angle of attack of the aerofoil of the tail blade creates force, and in which direction the force acts. So, yaw the heli to left (nose point left), the tail servo and linkage rod should move in such a way that the tail blades push the tail left - this tends to counter the yawing motion of the heli. And exactly the opposite when you yaw the heli to the right (force on the tail should then tend to the right to counteract).

Anyway, no worries, if you get it wrong, you'll definitely know the moment you throttle up!! It's 50-50...
      ------------------------------
      Airworthy: FMS Mini Trojan, Cloudsfly, BF-109 Funfighter, HK Mini Stick, Flasher 450 Pro, Mini Titan v2, E-Flite Blade MCPx.
      NIB: Multiplex FunCub, HK T-45.

Comment

Originally posted by elmosan View Post
        Gain and servo direction totally different issue
        i copy n paste frm the instruction manual found online on the gyro. cant understand hence i post question here loh..... sometime e more i read e more confuse i become.....

Comment

i copy n paste frm the instruction manual found online on the gyro. cant understand hence i post question here loh..... sometime e more i read e more confuse i become.....
          Gain is for the gyro to compensate the heading error.

Direction switch is for the gyro to turn your heli either counter or anti clock wise direction.

Comment

Typo, pls ignore the previous post.

Gain is for the gyro to compensate the heading error.

Direction switch is for the gyro to turn your heli either clockwise or anti-clockwise direction.

Comment

If you hover the heli and the tail is wagging like a dog...gyro gain is way too high.

If the tail is not wagging in a hover, but starts wagging when you fly fast, the gyro gain a little bit too high.

If the rudder servo is burning hot, the gain might be a little too high.

If the tail is not holding properly, the gain might be too low.

sigpic

Comment

Based on the term GAIN in video cameras, I think it's a sensitivity setting. Meaning the higher the gain, the higher the gyro's sensitivity to movement. This probably translates to the gyro's instruction to servo to correct the rudder position. When gain is too high for a certain heli, wagging maybe happens cos the gyro had overcompensated in it's efforts to correct the rudder position. So it keeps chasing after that right position. This could be because of many things. The tail blades got too much throw/power. A little bit of pitch/ angle in the tail blades only actually gives too much response. This of course is not only affected by tail blade pitch. Don't forget tail blades are spinning proportionally to throttle/motor speed. This also affects the response to rudder response. To gyro correction That's why we can apply higher gain when we have lower headspeed and lower gain when headspeed is increased.

Comment

Forgot to mention, when gain is higher, gyro also becomes more sensitive to vibrations, hence wagging of tail.

Comment

Working...
                  X