Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash cost of current generation name brand helis

Hello all

i am just going to comment of something i found with the pricing of the current generation of helis.

recently i just had my first crash of my Fury 55. my Miniature Aircraft
    helis are the first "name brand" helis i have owned. previously i was
    flying mostly align or clones.

when i was doing the sum of the crash parts, i was really pleasantly surprised that it was actually quite affordable to replace my crashed parts.
    luckily i saved my blades with throttle hold.

Boom $12.60
    Spindle $7.00
    Mainshaft $12.30
    Main Grip 16.80

Total: $48.70

this is a premium of only about 20% above Align and Thunder Tiger.

Even looking a the prices of Kasama and Avant seem to be
    reasonable considering that these are 90 size helis.

Seems like the pressure of competition is pushing prices down
    and benefiting the consumer. just hope it does not put too
    much pressure and force some of these companies or LHS out
    of business!

p.s. i am in no way endorsing MA products or their local distributor.
    its just the heli that i am flying thus my experience with their pricing
    and products. please share your experiences with crash cost for your
    brand as i think it would be healthy for everyone to have a real world
    gauge of typical crash cost between different brands.

its a good time to be in this hobby!
    CHEERS!

450 PRO - Phoenixtech Scorpion 2221-8, Castle Creations Phoenix 35, Hitec HS65HB cyclic, Futaba 9650 tail, (hanger)

MA Furion 6 - Savox 5055 560KV, Castle Creations ICE 80HV, Turnigy 959MG cyclic, HK47110MG tail, Castle Creations BEC pro, BeastX

MA Fury55 - OS55HZ + Outrage EVO55 pipe, HS5625MG cyclic, Spartan + HK47110MG, Align 2 in 1, Align Governor.

Kasama - Savox 5065 550KV, Castle Creations Phoenix 85HV, HK47110MB tail, Hitec 7985MG cyclic, BeastX

Stickman,

Totally agreed with you on the heli portion....

except if it kill the electronic...like PowerJIve..

Jonathan

Comment

The blade takes up one of the biggest chunk of the repair cost.
      For a 50size, its anywhere from $90+ upwards and for 90 size its at least $100+ upwards.

So if you look at stickman repair bill,
      if the blade was damaged, it would bloat his cost to nearly $150.
      ------------------
      Capturing light and storing them as a offline memory in the form of a photograph.

FFF:
      Raptor 90 3D (Crashes 1)
      OS 91HZ
      RJX 90sz Muffler
      HC3-SX
      Align D610 Cyclic and Throttle
      Align D650 Tail
      GVR-7020 Gryphon Extreme Regulator
      Futaba R6108SB

TT X50 TT Ed.
      RedLine RL-56H + Funtech B320 FAI Muffler
      Align D610 Cyclic
      Spartan Quark + Align D650

Crashed:
      Raptor 50 SE
      Powered by: Nitro Magic 20%

Comment

interesting point about main blades, i think $150 for a bad crash involving main blades is still within reason for a mid size heli. For reference, the blades on my Fury 55 is bought on the market place for $20. (HK carbons)

The cost of main blades have fallen drastically also through the last 5 years. V-blades used to cost over $200 for a 50 size. usual price for a carbon blades was $150-200, FG blades are about $60. all this is before the chinese invasion.

today i can get HK chinese carbon blades for $30, ROTOR chinese carbons for $50 (which are really good btw). Name brand blades now like SAB, Edge and Radix are about $100-130.

again, it is competition pressure that is also bringing the price down on the blades. also, about what blades you choose to fly. now we have the option of cheaper blades to bring down crash cost. this option never existed before.

its not about the absolute crash cost but about the dropping prices due to market competition.

Would we really want to live in a time where 3S lipos still cost $150?

CHEERS!

450 PRO - Phoenixtech Scorpion 2221-8, Castle Creations Phoenix 35, Hitec HS65HB cyclic, Futaba 9650 tail, (hanger)

MA Furion 6 - Savox 5055 560KV, Castle Creations ICE 80HV, Turnigy 959MG cyclic, HK47110MG tail, Castle Creations BEC pro, BeastX

MA Fury55 - OS55HZ + Outrage EVO55 pipe, HS5625MG cyclic, Spartan + HK47110MG, Align 2 in 1, Align Governor.

Kasama - Savox 5065 550KV, Castle Creations Phoenix 85HV, HK47110MB tail, Hitec 7985MG cyclic, BeastX

Comment

The reason not to factor in the main blade cost when comparing repair cost between brands of RC heli manufacturer is that the cost of the blade is the same whichever brand of heli u fly.

if i crash with EDGE blades on a chinese clone or a kasama, the cost is still the same to me. i have to replace at the cost of the blades.

this is why it is not indicative of crash costs between heli brands. what i am doing is purely comparing the cost of heli parts.

CHEERS!

Comment

I think part pricing has come down a lot as compared to the past. Probably due to our strengthening sing dollar and competition from the east.

Your heli seems very strong wor, so little damage for a crash.

sigpic

Comment

Actually, I think its abt how ur heli crash.

If nose down n frame gone, it will be expensive irregardless of brand. Its abt the material of the frame, CF ones Plastic ones still manageable.

If just tip over or bad landing, then not too much replacement. Just the normal main shaft, spindle shaft n main gear.

Comment

Talking about me

stickman "if i crash with EDGE blades on a chinese clone or a kasama, "
                Adrianli "If nose down n frame gone, it will be expensive irregardless of brand. "

Lucky the Edge survive...and the frame fixed up.

Jonathan

Comment

The prices are not the only factor..
                  you just can not get the parts for some heli even you have money.

and sometimes its how you crash
                  I love PAP

Comment

Originally posted by JYHELI View Post
                    Talking about me

stickman "if i crash with EDGE blades on a chinese clone or a kasama, "
                    Adrianli "If nose down n frame gone, it will be expensive irregardless of brand. "

Lucky the Edge survive...and the frame fixed up.

Jonathan
                    Not talking abt u lah. Its more on myself, my Logo 600.

Plastic frame left and right = USD40+ plus USD30shipping from either KS model or Ready heli.

New CF frame = USD360+ plus shipping..............I fainted

Lucky u gave me the KAOS Logo frame otherwise I think mine will always be in the store room. Just ordered the other parts from Heli direct and Ready Heli on Sunday.

Comment

my 2cts worth

Originally posted by Adrianli View Post
                      Actually, I think its abt how ur heli crash.

If nose down n frame gone, it will be expensive irregardless of brand. Its abt the material of the frame, CF ones Plastic ones still manageable.

If just tip over or bad landing, then not too much replacement. Just the normal main shaft, spindle shaft n main gear.
                      +1. If any of the electronics get fried during the crash, then the cost will start to rocket. At times, the crash may be so bad that it's just not worth salvaging anything...just like what I did to my first belt-cp v2.

my rexy suffered a tail strike a fortnight ago, it was spinning like apeshit much to the delight of our "Bangala" friends playing cricket nearby. By some massive stroke of luck, I managed to auto it to safety without major damages or injuring anyone (lucky bangalas!). The damage was but a slight chip on the canopy & main blades, front TT gear stripped, sheared kbdd tail blades, lost linkages, stripped servo horns and broken skids. Anyhow I replaced the main shaft just in case. IMHO, the biggest bit*h lies in chasing the vibes after a rebuild. Other than that, it's pretty ok.

Yes, whilst I agree that competition quipped with a strong currency is driving down the prices of parts but brands like kasama, MA & avant are somewhat still very expensive to start with. With $1.5k, I can prob buy an align f3c 700 packed with electronics. I can't say the same with the "ferraris" & "lambos" of the heli fraternity. Then again, cuh helis are prob very different as compared to a stock align. Not trying to stir anything but just stating what I feel.
                      Heli-ADDICTION:
                      Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
                      JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianli View Post
                        Not talking abt u lah. Its more on myself, my Logo 600.

Plastic frame left and right = USD40+ plus USD30shipping from either KS model or Ready heli.

New CF frame = USD360+ plus shipping..............I fainted

Lucky u gave me the KAOS Logo frame otherwise I think mine will always be in the store room. Just ordered the other parts from Heli direct and Ready Heli on Sunday.
                        how i wish singapore will have a mikado dealer soon....
                        Gravity Always Wins.....

Comment

Lucky u gave me the KAOS Logo frame otherwise I think mine will always be in the store room. Just ordered the other parts from Heli direct and Ready Heli on Sunday.[/QUOTE]

Very good.

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                            +1. If any of the electronics get fried during the crash, then the cost will start to rocket. At times, the crash may be so bad that it's just not worth salvaging anything...just like what I did to my first belt-cp v2.

my rexy suffered a tail strike a fortnight ago, it was spinning like apeshit much to the delight of our "Bangala" friends playing cricket nearby. By some massive stroke of luck, I managed to auto it to safety without major damages or injuring anyone (lucky bangalas!). The damage was but a slight chip on the canopy & main blades, front TT gear stripped, sheared kbdd tail blades, lost linkages, stripped servo horns and broken skids. Anyhow I replaced the main shaft just in case. IMHO, the biggest bit*h lies in chasing the vibes after a rebuild. Other than that, it's pretty ok.

Yes, whilst I agree that competition quipped with a strong currency is driving down the prices of parts but brands like kasama, MA & avant are somewhat still very expensive to start with. With $1.5k, I can prob buy an align f3c 700 packed with electronics. I can't say the same with the "ferraris" & "lambos" of the heli fraternity. Then again, cuh helis are prob very different as compared to a stock align. Not trying to stir anything but just stating what I feel.

Bro...any of those two helis listed on your signature is good enough to get one nice Kasama, MA and AVant.
                            Like me, have only ONE NICE heli.

Comment

Bro, ferrari like KASAMA also got "Eco" version..

And the poison is very lethal!

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post

Whiplashing soon?

Crash records counter
                              JR Vibe 50: 01
                              Trex600N Pro: 01
                              Kasama Srimok 90: 01
                              TT Raptor 50: 10
                              TT Raptor 90 3D: 01
                              MA Fury 55: 01

(Latest Crash Dated 29 April 2012) Total: 15

sigpic

Comment

Working...