Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lazy raptor

today i used a pitch guage to check my pitch on the low mid and high stick. was surprised to learn i was running exceptionally high pitch.

i had 7+ degrees on mid stick and 13-14 degrees on the high end. i used the radio and set it back to 5.5 and 11 on the mid and high ends respectively. did a flight and found that the heli couldn't maintain altitude on mid stick and i was hovering almost at 3/4 stick, and this was on normal mode. the top end was seriously lacking in any climb performance.

rpm wise, the os37 is running..uh. there's tons of smoke, but engine's still overheating. nonetheless, the rpm seems good. in fact, it looks abit on the high side for hovering and forward flight. i didn't have a tach, but a good estimate was that it was safely over 1600rpm.

since rpm seems ok, and the pitch guage is correct, the only thing that could be happening is that the bird is overweight. the only heavier than normal thing i have is the battery. i'm using 4 sub c sized nimhs. my 502 could possibly contribute to this.

what i would like to know is, what is the average weight for a raptor 30, and what other reason could be contributing to it? i would like to know if anyone else is running sub c on their 30 rappys and how's the performance like.
    JR 9x
    Raptor 50 SE
    Raptor 90 3D
    Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
    Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
    Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Invert?

Do u invert the heli? If no, then the plastic linkages gripping the metal rod is worn out. Check the linkage. Think 11 on the high is too high, try 9...

Comment

Mid-stick put 0 degrees... ends shud be -11 and +11

chances are ur engine is running behind ur pitch....

Comment

what blades are u using?
        [SIZE="1"]
        [url]www.dxnmedia.net[/url]
        Video Post Production | HD Acquisition | Media Consultant

[/SIZE]

Comment

Carbontech 550's
          Don't PCW

Beam E4
          Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
          Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Originally posted by helirulz
            Carbontech 550's
            nvm...dun read above post.
            i was just making a guess
            Don't PCW

Beam E4
            Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
            Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Brandon...try another pitch gauge...ah goh used the same one you were using...his +12 is my +10....I'm using the TT gauge....
              TREX 500 ESP
              Futaba T12FGH

Comment

hmmm....carbontech 550....semi-symm or full symm?

If semi-symm, should be the 'normal-config' blades...doesn't vary much from stock woodies....if it's full symm, maybe u need just a tad more pitch on the hovering point.

The way Brandon describes the OS37's response sounds like:-

A) Mixture setup problem....
                Hovering with high rpm, & once past hovering point, engine lacks punch...

Richen the mixture valve a little (not the needle valve), then check the response again.

B) Full collective pitch too much for the engine to handle....
                Engine gets bogged down.....reduce pitch slowly to get optimum climb power.
                [SIZE="1"]
                [url]www.dxnmedia.net[/url]
                Video Post Production | HD Acquisition | Media Consultant

[/SIZE]

Comment

thanks for your response...arthur's one is especially enlightening. my make shit pitch guage was reading +9 on the top too. since my linkages are accurate, the onboard pitch guage, althought not really accuate, was also reading +9 at the top. will try another pitch guage...

dixon:the engine seems to be running fine, very nice smoke and good power. the lack of punch was probably due to the lack of pitch, as i set the pitch 'back' to +9 using the possibly errornous pitch guage.

as for the inability to pull out of a fast decent, i'm not sure yet...
                  JR 9x
                  Raptor 50 SE
                  Raptor 90 3D
                  Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
                  Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
                  Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

Working...
                  X