Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple gyros on one Heli?

For all you experts,

What happens if I put 3 gyros into one heli, one for the tail, one for the elevator and one for the aileron. If i mount them such that they are perpendicular to each other, will it provide flight stabilisation?

Will it fly at all?
    Futaba FF9CHP

T-Rex 450X V2 with Alu swashplate
    4xHS56, Hitec electron 6, PHX-25, Gy401, Mega 16/15/3 motor.

4xHS56, Schulze Alpha 840ww, PHX-35, GY401, Lehner 1020/17 motor.

waaa first time i heard people want to try putting 3 gyros LoL
    [B]Kenny[/B]

Goblin 700 | Goblin 500 | Compass 6HV

Unthinkable, unimaginable, incredible, beyond conception and beyond the bounds of possibility!

Comment

Hey pal,
      i think u need a co pilot rater than 3 gyros.

U only need a copilot and a gyro to make your heli totally stable. The co pilot will help u stabilize your aileron and elevator completely.

Comment

LOL hahahha that's a good idea too
        [B]Kenny[/B]

Goblin 700 | Goblin 500 | Compass 6HV

Unthinkable, unimaginable, incredible, beyond conception and beyond the bounds of possibility!

Comment

Originally posted by fredrick
          Hey pal,
          i think u need a co pilot rater than 3 gyros.

U only need a copilot and a gyro to make your heli totally stable. The co pilot will help u stabilize your aileron and elevator completely.
          I know a co-pilot can make the heli totally stable. But the problem is that the co-pilot requires visibility in all directions because it is thermal based.

I am hoping that using 3 gyros can yield the same results and gyros are piezo based, i can hide them in a scale body.
          Futaba FF9CHP

Comment

not going to work. To put it simply, a gyro doesn't know up from down. It can only detect angular rotation. Besides, the ailerons and elevator does not suffer from drift like the rudder so it is totally pointless to fit a gyro.

Another point to consider is the rotation of the main blades already provides a gyroscopic effect to the heli which is in fact what you're trying to achieve with fitting a gyro.

Just keep practicing
            F5D Stratair Viper Triple Carbon
            F5D Stratair Demon
            F5D Jibe
            Jiri Bachinski Escape Pylon
            Voodoo S400
            Kyosho Phantom 70 Reno racer
            La Racer 56

Comment

Hey Fleek

If u intend to do 2 bladed rotor flybarless heli, then using 3 gyros might be possible.

What u need is 2 gyros, one for aileron and one for elevator to substitute paddles. (Of course one for tail also)

Using Gyros to make heli stable wise, i think it is possible but not much. Your paddles already doing the job.

Refer to my previous experimental of 2 blades flybarless TRex:

Super-Hornet

Comment

Originally posted by AceViperX
                not going to work. To put it simply, a gyro doesn't know up from down. It can only detect angular rotation. Besides, the ailerons and elevator does not suffer from drift like the rudder so it is totally pointless to fit a gyro.

Another point to consider is the rotation of the main blades already provides a gyroscopic effect to the heli which is in fact what you're trying to achieve with fitting a gyro.

Just keep practicing
                True but thinking about the slight drifting that happens on micro helis it could be used to help with the stability of the heli ..it would reduce the roll and forward pitching which happens due to the small rotor disk.....not a big issue on a large heli but on a trex it could have some effect..will let you know

Comment

OK just did a test fly with gyro just on the aileron.

initially the sensitivity needed to be turned down to almost 0 as it was way too sensitive to work properly ..( it started to have the shakes) when It was working it didn't subdue it as much as I though it would but then it did make it more stable in just a fixed hover ..as to have several of them on the bird would be just about uncontrollable as it felt like it was fighting the gyro at times when it was meant to be moving.

Over all assessment ...will work but not that well ..do not expect to fly the heli apart from just a hover in front of you.

A much better alternative ..weight the fly bar and use expo to control your bird

Cheers Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Tele
                    OK just did a test fly with gyro just on the aileron.

initially the sensitivity needed to be turned down to almost 0 as it was way too sensitive to work properly ..( it started to have the shakes) when It was working it didn't subdue it as much as I though it would but then it did make it more stable in just a fixed hover ..as to have several of them on the bird would be just about uncontrollable as it felt like it was fighting the gyro at times when it was meant to be moving.

Over all assessment ...will work but not that well ..do not expect to fly the heli apart from just a hover in front of you.

A much better alternative ..weight the fly bar and use expo to control your bird

Cheers Doug
                    Hi Doug,

That's really fast. Thanks for testing it out. I don't have any heli with me to test. But how did you mount the gyro? Parallel to the axis of control?

Which gyro did you use? I believe the GY401 has a delay trimmer that allows delays to the adjustment and could reduce the shaking effect due to high sensitivity and fast response.
                    Futaba FF9CHP

Comment

but where would be the fun in flying

yeah ppl have done it for flybarless helis but i second doug, add more paddle weights and more expo. the gyros will only leave it in the last orientation it was, it won't detect transverse movement...
                      JR 9x
                      Raptor 50 SE
                      Raptor 90 3D
                      Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
                      Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
                      Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

I just used a rc mart gyro so the quality wasn't good but a better gyro might help but the fact still remains that you will be fighting the gyro if you want to do any real flying.

Comment

Oh... to use gyro for controlling aileron and elevation, u need to know this:

1 - DO NOT USE HEADING HOLD Gyro. IT WILL NOT WORK. U need those standard gyro like GWS PG-03 or Futaba GY240 with AVCS turn off. Heading Hold gyro neutral point will keep on changing.
                          2 - Only work when your heli is in mCCPM or 90Degree swash plate design. eCCPM 120 or 140 design will have problem.

Again... agree with Doug on the weighted flybar. For more stability, use weighted flybar. Gyro for Aileron and Elevation is more suitable for Flybarless Heli.

Super-Hornet
                          Last edited by Super-Hornet; 30-05-2005, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X