Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help: Vibration, Head Speed, and Collective Pitch

Greetings everyone!

About a month ago, I finally decided to jump into the world of RC. And not just any RC, I opted to start with RC Heli, which is (as most say) quite a challenging genre of RC.

I just had my first crash. Hehehe. Not a bad crash, but it was enough to break the landing skid, bend the main shaft and broke the main rotor blade (woodies). I thought that was it. But when I replaced the broken/bent parts, I got this crazy vibration. I tried the best I can, check the screws and balanced everything. I managed to reduce the vibration to an acceptable level, but still a bit noticeable while flying and the gyro wanders away. It’s driving me nuts. Luckily I love challenges, so I’m not going to give up on this. I realized that in the world of RC Aircraft, we have to master two professions--- being an aircraft engineer/mechanic and pilot. Sweet! Challenging!

Any of you experienced pilots out there have any kind advice to this newbie? Anyone had the same experience with the MT? Please...

I’ve been wondering about the effective steps in order to track down the sources of vibrations. I also have questions on the effects of Head Speed and Pitch Angle (throttle and pitch curves). Will it affect stability and handling? Any of you guys have something to say on this? Any advice would definitely help.

My setup:
    Since I’m a newbie, I’ve been flying on entirely stock parts.
    Heli: TT miniTitan E325 (stock)
    Gyro: TG6100M (stock) --- should I get a better gyro?
    Servo: Hitec HS65HB (cyclic)
    Radio: JR Propo DSX7 & RD721

Thank you very much! Good Luck to me…

Since you mentioned broken blades and bent main shaft.

Its like the feathering shaft damaged and usually it will induce low speed vibration, the most visible effect would be chicken dancing (violent enough a vibration to cause the heli to jump around on its skid) on spool up/down.

On your tail not holding well (gyro wandering away?), have you check that the boom is straight and not bent slightly? Is the auto-rotation gear (the smaller main gear) or the tail gear in good condition with no visible damage? A slightly bent tail rotor shaft, thought not visible to the naked eye can cause such unwanted vibrations as well. The last item is to recheck on the centering of the tail rotor to ensure the pitch of the tail rotor is at the manual recommended angle.

Another question: Are you still on the training skid? If yes, that can also induce unwanted vibration as it will resonate with your heli own vibration and amplify it.

On the gyro... if you can afford a better one.. why not. Meanwhile, I believe your current one is still sufficient for beginner training.
    ------------------
    Capturing light and storing them as a offline memory in the form of a photograph.

FFF:
    Raptor 90 3D (Crashes 1)
    OS 91HZ
    RJX 90sz Muffler
    HC3-SX
    Align D610 Cyclic and Throttle
    Align D650 Tail
    GVR-7020 Gryphon Extreme Regulator
    Futaba R6108SB

TT X50 TT Ed.
    RedLine RL-56H + Funtech B320 FAI Muffler
    Align D610 Cyclic
    Spartan Quark + Align D650

Crashed:
    Raptor 50 SE
    Powered by: Nitro Magic 20%

Comment

Did you replace the spindle shaft? Normally, when the main shaft gets bent, so does the spindle shaft. Some also call this the feathering shaft. Also check you tail whether its been damaged. Hope this helps.

Comment

Yup! On training skid...

I replaced...

1. Main Shaft... its was visibly bent.
        2. Feathering Shaft and the dampeners... Yup, it was chiken dancing...
        3. Main Rotor Head... Some kinda deformed..
        4. Tail Boom... its was slightly bent...
        5. Main rotor gear... its was kinda wobbling... is this normal...???
        6. Tail autorotate gear...
        7. Landing Skid... well, evidently it was broken...

So far, I haven't touched the tail rotor... as the vibration was low frequency, during spool up around 20% throttle...
        Hmm...

Maybe I'm missing out the tail rotor... I'll recheck.

Do I need to balance the training skid...? as it does amplify the vibration when in flight...

Comment

For your case... check in order...

1) tail rotor shaft
          2) did any of your servo gear strip?
          3) ensure the blades are tracking
          4) flybar straight?
          5) did you turn your belt correctly? meaning it should be 90 degress onli... u turn 270 it will cause binding...

still got vibration?
          1) balance your blade
          2) turn ur heli blades with your hands... everything should be smooth and not binding...
          3) remove ur blades and paddles.... power your ur heli slowly and carefully...
          4) no vibration? add paddles... no vibration? then u add blades confirm no vibration... provided your blades are well-balanced...
          5) all else fail... go down to funfly and ask ppl to check for you... sometimes its easier to spot the faults by a pair of experienced eyes...

hope that helps... dun worry... it takes time to learn how to tune a heli...

Comment

ah, the MT, my all-time fave 450 bird other than the beam

well, appears from yr writing that the crash was pretty bad. insofar that I can recall, causes of chicken dance can be many. main culprit as listed by all the senior brothers. if yr budget allows it, upgrade gyro to gy401(outdated but still good) and main rotorhead to cnc. although the stock plastic ones are of good quality, there is just no telling what others part could have been damaged from the crash.

Instead of looking crashes as a waste of money, take it as an opportunity to upgrade...from the wise words of ken.
            Heli-ADDICTION:
            Mikado Logos, RaptorG4s, X7F, 600ESP...
            JUST one more Logo...for the month.

Comment

Thank you Bro's...

Thank you very much for the replies Bro's...

Daddy Hobby is the best...

Now I have a much clearer insight what to do next... This is very helpful!
              I may have to prepare my wallet for this... hehehehe...

Comment

Originally posted by feudallordcult View Post
                ah, the MT, my all-time fave 450 bird other than the beam

well, appears from yr writing that the crash was pretty bad. insofar that I can recall, causes of chicken dance can be many. main culprit as listed by all the senior brothers. if yr budget allows it, upgrade gyro to gy401(outdated but still good) and main rotorhead to cnc. although the stock plastic ones are of good quality, there is just no telling what others part could have been damaged from the crash.

Instead of looking crashes as a waste of money, take it as an opportunity to upgrade...from the wise words of ken.
                bro i miss my mt ;x minititan is really gd !
                selling items cause upgrading my fleet.
                this is my hp no.96 19 17 78 sms me if u wtb anything or if u have any Qn.
                1.TREX500(SUNDAY FLYER)(turnigy vbar) waiting to madien.
                2.TREX600N (3D MACHINE)(sk360 with spartan 760) maidened on 2jan 2011
                3.RAPTOR 90SE(F3C)
                4.BLADE MCX(LIVING ROOM FUN) sponsored by bro spykerdelia !!
                PILOT DK Yong(De Kai)FUEL USING:OF COURSE NIROMAGIC LA !
                Hmm... whats next? :x
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by iceman_215 View Post
                  I replaced...

1. Main Shaft... its was visibly bent.
                  2. Feathering Shaft and the dampeners... Yup, it was chiken dancing...
                  3. Main Rotor Head... Some kinda deformed..
                  4. Tail Boom... its was slightly bent...
                  5. Main rotor gear... its was kinda wobbling... is this normal...???
                  6. Tail autorotate gear...
                  7. Landing Skid... well, evidently it was broken...

So far, I haven't touched the tail rotor... as the vibration was low frequency, during spool up around 20% throttle...
                  Hmm...

Maybe I'm missing out the tail rotor... I'll recheck.

Do I need to balance the training skid...? as it does amplify the vibration when in flight...
                  Since yours is the full plastic rotor head assembly, the main rotor hub, flybar seesaw hub and flybar rod are usual suspects for being distorted after a crash. Check the main rotor grip as well for damages.

While your at it, if you can weight your main blades and make sure their weight is not off by too much as a unbalanced blade can cause vibrations as well.

One of the last detail to take note of is the tightness of the main blades when assembled onto the grips. It should be just tight enough that it does not move under its own weight and lose enough that to move on the grip. This applies to the tail blade as well. Needless to say, both blades must be of equal tightness, else bad vibration will occurs as well.
                  ------------------
                  Capturing light and storing them as a offline memory in the form of a photograph.

FFF:
                  Raptor 90 3D (Crashes 1)
                  OS 91HZ
                  RJX 90sz Muffler
                  HC3-SX
                  Align D610 Cyclic and Throttle
                  Align D650 Tail
                  GVR-7020 Gryphon Extreme Regulator
                  Futaba R6108SB

TT X50 TT Ed.
                  RedLine RL-56H + Funtech B320 FAI Muffler
                  Align D610 Cyclic