Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternative to Deans / soldering?

New to soldering and just ruined the stock esc for the Trex 500.

Can anyone suggest an alternative to the deans or having to solder. Very expensive mistake!!!

Thanks
    Ken

Anderson Power Poles

Was reading about this on HF. Does anyone know if LHS stocks them. Might be the answer to my lack of soldering skills
    Thanks
    Ken

Comment

try the wire glue?

sigpic

Helis:
      Heli 1: Trex 450SE V1
      Date of Operation: 27 JULY 08
      Specs: JGF 450TH + RCE-BL25G + GY401 + HS-65HB cyclics + HS81 tail
      Radio: Optic 6 + Electron6
      Batt: Zippy-H 3s 2200mah 20C

Comment

Got mine here

Anderson Power Products Powerpole and SB Series connectors are available at Powerwerx. Shop for different gauges today!

I buy in bulk to save a bit. T-REX 500 should be able to run on the 30A rating (dont worry they are under-rated).

If you would go back to soldering invest on a good soldering iron. Melts the led even before heat transfers to the wires.

I use sermos/power poles and bullet connectors, I like powerpoles more but that's just my personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by kenghock View Post

Can anyone suggest an alternative to the deans or having to solder. Very expensive mistake!!!

Thanks
          Ken
          How did u ruined the ESC? If solder improperly, can remove the old solder & re solder again.

Comment

im guessing he soldered it on with opposite polarity..then when he connected the battery pack..POOF!

Dont worry been there done that
            Don't PCW

Beam E4
            Flybarless Trex 600N VBAR 4.0 | OS50 Hyper
            Trex 700 LE | YS91SR3C

Comment

Originally posted by helirulz View Post
              im guessing he soldered it on with opposite polarity..then when he connected the battery pack..POOF!

Dont worry been there done that
              if this is the case, it should be due to carelessness, not the skill of the solder

Comment

Originally posted by kenghock View Post

Thanks
                Ken
                I will recommend the XT60A from HK.
                Modded Esavage + 4S lipo + KB45 2300KV + HW150A
                Brushless Esky Lama with dual swash
                Esky Dauphin
                Walkera Lama 2
                Walkera 5G6
                Sparrowhawk XB + 2S lipo + 60A brushless esc + 6000kv motor.
                Brushless Mini LST + single servo mod
                Brushless Micro-T

Comment

I used to sweat whenever I solder deans. After a friend showed my the correct way to do it, I realise all my problems were due to wrong method. You also need a decently powerful iron to melt the solder w/o taking too long.

Deans are not difficult, you just need to see someone doing it once.

sigpic

Comment

U need a good soldering iron and good/proper maintenance on the soldering iron tip is essential. "goot" soldering iron should be enough for u. Proper maintenance like coating the solder tip before 1st use and use proper cleaning wet "sponge".

I use 100Watt soldering iron...and it should be more than enough for u.

For soldering tin, use those 60/40 percent type (60% tin, 40% lead). It has lower melting temperature and it has better "flow" of melting solder. Not recommend to use those silver based solder. Even it is much lighter than those lead based solder and better environment friendly, it has higher melting temperature. If u want those silver based and low melting temperature, u need to get those higher grade type (more tin?) but it cost lot more than those lead based.

Tin coat both pins and wires 1st before u solder.

Comment

Originally posted by Super-Hornet View Post
                      U need a good soldering iron and good/proper maintenance on the soldering iron tip is essential. "goot" soldering iron should be enough for u. Proper maintenance like coating the solder tip before 1st use and use proper cleaning wet "sponge".

I use 100Watt soldering iron...and it should be more than enough for u.

For soldering tin, use those 60/40 percent type (60% tin, 40% lead). It has lower melting temperature and it has better "flow" of melting solder. Not recommend to use those silver based solder. Even it is much lighter than those lead based solder and better environment friendly, it has higher melting temperature. If u want those silver based and low melting temperature, u need to get those higher grade type (more tin?) but it cost lot more than those lead based.

Tin coat both pins and wires 1st before u solder.
                      Yes, I agree with SH, but before u tin coated the wires or do any soldering job, make sure u wipe the surfaces clean

Comment

If u do not have soldering iron wet "sponge", here are some other DIY that I used before and it is not bad:

1. Wet toilet paper.
                        2. 3M kitchen sponge... the one that look and feel like paper type. Cannot use those plastic based sponge.
                        3. Cotton (100%) cloth.

To wet them, just normal water will do. Some prefer with a bit of kitchen detergents.

SH

Comment

Hey guys thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to try a few practise runs before going back to fix things.

Comment

Order Power Poles

Ok bought the power poles - set of 100 30Amp for USD83 as recommended

Let me know if anyone would like to buy some. Just prorate the price. Can't imagine needing 100 pieces.

Comment

My 40W soldering iron bought for S$3 from Sim Lim Tower basement still works for me. Have been using it close to 2yrs already. I use it to solder tiny LED wires to huge 8-10AWG wires.

I always make sure I clean the tips after use by the above method mentioned by SH.

Comment

Working...
                              X