Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much smoke is enough smoke?

was going through the os manual just now. it said if there's too much smoke, reduce needle. im' using os37 with cp 20%...seeing the guys fly their 30% like it has its own smoke system, how much would be too much smoke?

secondly, what's the rpms the stock plastic raptor head able to take with carbons on?
    JR 9x
    Raptor 50 SE
    Raptor 90 3D
    Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
    Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
    Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

When u have problem seeing your fellow flyers, u know u have too much smoke

Comment

Hi Brandon,

After all this years in RC, I come into a conclusion that one man's food is another man's posion, that is why I seldom speak up alot in forums, however this is my 2 cents worth..(since I am high on alcoho now...)

Smoke is not the measure, your low end needle is to set the pick up response of your engine, a nicely setup low end will give you good response...meaning...hold your rotor head, try to move your throttle stick up to the 1/4 stick position and back to idle, if too rich..you will realise that the engine pick up slow, like coughing, if set correctly it will be zinc...zinc...responsive...however too lean will cause your engine to heat and you have a funny idle like zinc...ten...ten..ten...Zinc...ten..ten..ten...

The top end needle is to set your full throttle performance, too rich will give sluggish top end, too lean will make the engine super hot and dead stick if its way too lean...

My recomendation:

You have to set your top end needle first before you set your low end needle, cause the top end needle will affect your low end setting and your low end does not affect the top end setting.

How and what to do to setup correctly:

Turn to the recommended turns from your manufacturer, like OS 1 and 1/5 turn and TT 3 and 1/5 turns...etc...for the top and low end needle.....

Fly your heli at full throttle for 2 mins, land and check the engine temp, if no heat...lean it 2 to 3 click....repeat until engine heat up..not until its too hot for your hand to touch the engine... if the is heated and engine still bogged down...like the rpm reduce during full throttle for turns, your pitch is too high at full throttle, try to reduce your pitch using pitch curve until engine don't bogged(Don't trust your pitch gauge).

Once the high end needle is setup, go for the low end, the pinch test method is not bad, squeeze the fuel supply to the engine, if the rpm increase after 1 to 2 sec you are good, it more then that you are too rich...lean the low end needle and try again. If you get the zinc...ten...ten..ten...Zinc...ten..ten..ten...noi se, you are too lean.

After the setup, you should have good response and optimun high end. You engine is setup, how you want to set the throttle and pitch curves in between, that is up to individual....

Good Luck..!

Regards
      Regards

Comment

thanks airborne for the comprehensive tutorial... i find the part on engine sound especially interesting and informative...thanks
        JR 9x
        Raptor 50 SE
        Raptor 90 3D
        Mini-Titan

Superb machine!

Piper Warrior 2 Pa-28-161
        Lycoming O-320-D3G 160HP

Pilatus PC-21
        Pratt & Whitney PT6A-64B 1600SHP

Comment

looks like someone got a new OS engine...

there's never too much smoke! ..... unless of course if it's that bad till u can't see ur heli... but if u're flying around it looks great~..

richer is better... lean till so much power also no use... so noisy, irritating and the life's shorter... also seems like the heli's gonna explode anytime...
          smooth power.. nice sound.. more graceful type flying's better...

a good judgement is to take/imagine the smoke like water... until it pours out like water.. u know u've not got enough~...

lol~.. but no la.. what airborne says is true..
          my low end like to set on the rich side.. gives a nicer idling... pinch test about 10-15 seconds?.. but can't hear it choking.. just idling... idle.. then quit..
          high end also on the rich side... sacrifice alittle bit of power.. but what's available is enough for me at this moment ba..
          -* Project Swift *-

Comment

Working...
          X