Collapse

Visit Zenmtech at rc.zenmtech.com

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief Review of Torsion 600mm Carbon Blades

Never really written a review before, but here goes...

First of all, I would like to say I am not sponsored, given any special discounts or have any association for doing this review. Just thought that I'd share my experience with everyone.

I got a set from Pang (HeliGuru) after hearing all the rave review from those who have used it. Was a bit skeptical at first coz stiff blades tend to bog more. But after trying them on, I was pleasantly surprised...

My Test Rig are follows:-

Align T-Rex 600NSP
    YS 50ST Engine
    13 Degrees on Collective
    9 Degrees on Cyclic

First off, these blades have a narrower chord compared to blades like the Radix 600SB which I was using previously. Secondly, they are very very stiff. Stiffer than the 600SB and about the same as the V-Blades TST.

I started off the test by doing a couple of tail down and aileron tick toks and to my surprise, they did not seem to bog as much as I had anticipated. They do bog just a wee bit more than the 600SB but nothing as much as the V-Blades TST which I tried out awhile back.

Next I started doing some FF and I found that they seem to be more stable than the radix and does not exhibit the tendency to pitch up.

Lastly, I tried a couple of rainbows and tailslides. Really love the stopping power. Definitely feels more precise and responsive.

Overall, I feel that these blades are one of the best I've tried so far in terms of performance (at least for my flying style). Price (based on current promotion) is relatively close to the radix.

Only fault I can find (if I wanna be picky) is the aesthetics. Paint job is not as good compared to Align or Radix. Found imperfections like tiny pinhole sized pock marks on the surface of the blades (Dirt gets trapped in the tiny holes) and the leading edge of the blades are not painted properly. Other than that it's really hard to find fault with these blades.

So there it is...my first review.

I'm not a professional so, if I missed out or misrepresented anything I apologies for that. Just wanted to share good stuff with everyone. I am also by a longshot a very good stickbanger. Perhaps the more aggressive 3D guys like Edmond22, Rgoh & Chester can share their views since they also use these blades.

On a side note, props to Pang. His support is exceptional. (He made the effort to deliver the blades to me at 9:30 at night even though he needs to go back for his reservist)
    Align T-Rex 700E v2
    Align 700MX-530Kv Motor|Align DS610 Cyclics @ 8.4V|Mikado V-Bar 5.2 Pro w/Gov|MegaPower 120HV ESC|Outrage BL9080 Tail Servo @ 8.4V|Edge 693mm Blades|Edge 115mm Tail Blades

Align T-Rex 550E v2
    Align 600MX-1220Kv Motor|Align DS610 Cyclics|Mikado Mini V-Bar 5.2 Pro|Hercules Mini BEC|Castle 80A ESC|Futaba BLS251 Tail Servo |Edge 553mm Blades|Align 95mm Tail Blades

I tried the Torsion 690mm on my 700N...
    From Torsion

Thought about it for a while if I should post this because as some of you might know, I have known Pang aka Mazon/heliguru for a while and we fly at the same field...so unlike Ice93, I am not totally unrelated to Pang...which means that perhaps you can read the following like any other "paid" review. Pang probably still has a pair of test blades that he can let you try before you decide if these blades are suitable for you.

My setup is...
    700N
    YS91SR with the same bearing from a year ago and plug from half a year ago...
    Mp5 with a small dent
    CP20%+CP12.5% in the ratio of 2:1
    12degree pitch
    8degree cyclic
    super stubz paddles
    Basically, a badly maintained heli with probably the weakest 91SR in singapore and running lower nitro, so there is 100% chance your experience will be much more powerful than mine...

I have only flown radix 710sb and RotorTech 690mm, so my experience with blades are limited. In my comparison, I will be commenting on the Torsion 690mm with reference to the rotortech 690mm because that is what I usually fly.

From Torsion
    From Torsion
    Unlike the RotorTech's, the Torsion's do not come with shims for the blade grip, at least mine didn't. Those who don't have washers don't have to worry too much because those of us who have been flying radix, rotortech, carbontech, funkey and whatever from the Funkey factory for all our life will have a bunch of those at home.

The Funkey 690mm are 61.5mm in width. The radix 710sb I believe are even wider at 63mm or 64mm. The Torsion 690mm are 60mm in width. Weight wise, we weighted them to be over 180g. From what I know, Torsion only has 690mm blades and no 710mm ones because they found that 690mm works better for 3D after lots of flight testing. And yes, these are designed and manufactured solely for the sake of 3D.

From Torsion

Torsion blades are produced in Czech Republic. From what I can see, the finishing is actually much better than the RotorTech's. It is almost comparable to the Radix, which oddly, comes from the same factory as the RotorTech stuff. The "exposed" carbon weaving shows good consistency.
    From Torsion
    From Torsion

Aesthetically, the Torsion 690mm will probably be a lot less toyish and childish looking than the 3 coloured RotorTech.
    From Torsion

In real world flight, Torsion 690mm are very fast on the cyclic. Much faster roll rate than radix and rotortech. Yet for whatever reason, it is very nicely balanced around the center. It is not overly sensitive around center stick and it just ROLL when you push the stick all the way.

Collective bite is pretty good, but personally I prefer the collective "pop" feel and sound of the radix 710SB better. Nonetheless, it definately bites better than the RotorTech 690mm. The Torsion 690mm is going to be great for those "smackdown, pop and go" type of 3D flying, I feel.

So it is perfect? NO.

For some reason, the Torsion 690mm bogs quite a lot more than my RotorTech 690mm. It is perfectly fine when you only pull collective. It is also fine when you are doing stationary flips with full elevator or aileron. No problem in piro-flip and wide open funnels either. However, the moment you combine more collective with more cyclic, it just bite back at you hard by bogging. So in a sense, things with continous load like your tight 4 point tic-toc will be hard to manage.

The fact that my engine and everything else is badly maintained doesn't really help either. Most people running 20% or more nitro with a relatively well maintained and tuned setup and a good pipe will probably have a lot more power than me to cope with the demand of the blades. I mean afterall, there is a reason why YS recommends 30% nitro and you seldom see people running 15% nitro on YS-POWER.

For auto-rotation, these auto like any other 90 size blades for 3D, i.e. you will have more than ample headspeed to bring the heli down even if you can't auto a 50 size, but don't even for a moment expect them to be able to hang in the air like those F3C blades on their final approach.

I choose to stick to the RotorTech 690mm for my daily flying over the Torsion 690mm for just one reason-POWER. RotorTech's just don't bog. When I have more power, I will definately choose the Torsion because just the gain in cyclic feel and cyclic rate is worth everything.

sigpic

Comment

Does it come in the version with most black like the one on the outside of the box?
      Whiplashing soon?

Crash records counter
      JR Vibe 50: 01
      Trex600N Pro: 01
      Kasama Srimok 90: 01
      TT Raptor 50: 10
      TT Raptor 90 3D: 01
      MA Fury 55: 01

(Latest Crash Dated 29 April 2012) Total: 15

sigpic

Comment

Yeah I think that would look better too...them agin...it would kinda look like to Align D blades..heh heh...

BTW nice review Baby_Zyklon...thats wat I call pro!!
        Align T-Rex 700E v2
        Align 700MX-530Kv Motor|Align DS610 Cyclics @ 8.4V|Mikado V-Bar 5.2 Pro w/Gov|MegaPower 120HV ESC|Outrage BL9080 Tail Servo @ 8.4V|Edge 693mm Blades|Edge 115mm Tail Blades

Align T-Rex 550E v2
        Align 600MX-1220Kv Motor|Align DS610 Cyclics|Mikado Mini V-Bar 5.2 Pro|Hercules Mini BEC|Castle 80A ESC|Futaba BLS251 Tail Servo |Edge 553mm Blades|Align 95mm Tail Blades

Comment

here is heliguru's youtube channel of a collection of various local flyers testing out the Torsion blades. A good reference for all to view when considering the blade. I am a happy owner today, so far my most fav choice of blades for electric helis of 50 size.

Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

First of all, many thanks to Pang for coming down to our funfly, letting us try out the blades.
            Agree with Edmond22.... that this is the current pair of blades that i prefered most.

My first impression.........it bogs a little as is stiffer than the others which i think stiffer blades do bogs a little more and also throttle management is another cause. Other than that, it's fast, it pops, it delivers awesome breaking power. I can really torture these pair of blades.

Above statement for reference only.
            Benedict Gary
            Nothing's Too Small To Know And Nothing's Too Big To Attempt !

Comment

My views are pretty much the same as the above guys too. Another issue to take note is that Torsion 690mm is quite a fair bit heavier than Align 690D and Radix 690SB, I cannot remember off my mind the exact difference(around 10grams or so) and I cant measure them cause mine has just landed in the dirt last weekend.

Personally, I find it bogs the most during 4-point tic toc. It might bog for other moves, I am not very sure because there is limitation to my flying. Other than that, the pop and breaking power is a cut above other blades. Then again, this is just my very own opinion, so take it with a pinch of salt.

Perhaps, the best pilot locally should point out his opinion since he has tried out the blades too.

Cheers.
              KDS Innova 700

Comment

i have not use one before..

am considering it for the fact that it's almost white all the way.. and this really improve visability..

have anyone notice this difference?
                Life is not the amount of breath you take, it's the moment that take your breath away
                Avant Aurora (E1)
                Avant Aurora (E2)
                Mcp X
                GAUI X5

LOGO 550SX

WTS
                JR RS77s 72MHz synthesizer $100
                will give the buyer 2 unit of electron 6 with 72.810 pin free

Comment

Remotemadness,

I think you are right, whiter blades seems to make the blade look bigger too and the rotor disk is very much more visible which makes orientation better in some instances.

From a electric point of view, I think this blade is very well suited to electric applications, esp if you are on 8s and above setup. 6s does work as well but have to keep tab on battery as it is pretty hard on them. Simply no bogging, throw it hard around for a good solid quality 5 mins.
                  Stop looking for a gyro in my plane, they are all in the head.

Comment

Working...
                  X